5 bedroom detached house for saleBlisland, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL30
Sold STC £510,000
- Grade II* listed house with origins mentioned in the Domesday Book
- Arranged around a courtyard with an overall 'U' shaped plan
- Historically used as three units of accommodation then returned to one
- The great hall located to the first floor with vaulted roof timbers
- Set in delightful and part walled gardens facing the Village Green in all about quarter of an acre
This sought after village of Blisland, with its ancient Norman Church is set just below the western edge of Bodmin Moor and is known for its great charm and beauty, being one of very few villages set around a traditional village green. Blisland is well known for its popular public house, the Blisland Inn, having won various CAMRA awards and has also been provided in recent years with a new community facility comprising shop and village post office, doctors surgery and also has a well rated Primary School. The village lies within an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty yet is within a short drive of the A30 trunk road giving quick access to other parts of the country. The centre of the town of Bodmin with its ever expanding range of good facilities is about ten minutes maximum drive only and close by is Bodmin Parkway Mainline Railway Station. About twenty minutes drive only from the property is Newquay Cornwall Airport with its national and now international air connections.
The contrasting scenery of both the north and south coasts of the county are about 14 miles away.
This magnificent house is Grade II* listed and with its origins mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. Indeed there is reference within the English Heritage Listing observations to steps at the rear leading to an arched door opening which Pevsner suggests is a Norman arch and as shown in a photograph in this brochure. The original house was owned by the Lord of the Manor in the 13th century and later passed to the Beauchamp family. Indications are given that in 1599 Queen Elizabeth I owned the property and it was then known as The Farmers House and the Queen's steward used it to collect farm rents. Later the house was partly re-modelled after 1627 for Obadiah Reynolds with a date stone showing 1636 indicated this in the Great Hall on the first floor.
The house was converted into a series of cottages in circa 18th or 19th centuries and converted back into one house and restored in the early 1970s by Doctor Peter Mitchell, the Nobel prize winner and also the owner of Glynn House and Estate who reinstated it as one house.
The house is attractively arranged around a courtyard countaining a well with an overall 'U' shaped plan with elevations on the south, west and north and high wall to the east dividing this from Newton House next door.
There are many original features in evidence including vaulted timber ceilings, massive stone fireplaces and flagstone floors.
The property is now in need of refurbishment but its fascinating layout and historical features must be viewed to be appreciated. The property is still used in parts to the north east and south east wings of the main house and to either side of the rear courtyard as separate units of accommodation but these do interconnect with internal doors into the main building.
The accommodation is accessed through the large porch into a main reception room, probably an original old hall, with its massive fireplace. This room has a fine example of the very old slate flag floor and doors leading into kitchen two and then into a sitting room. From this room one of the many staircases leads to the first floor and with its bedroom then opening into a bathroom and w.c. There is a separate front door from the sitting room so this can be used as a one bedroom unit.
From the larger reception room short stairs lead up to a further sitting room with a door opening onto a rear covered area and the courtyard. A further door opens into sitting room two which has a front door leading to the garden to the west. This room was probably previously an old kitchen and could be readapted for this use for the principal areas of accommodation. A door from here leads into the second ancilliary unit of accommodation with a small hall and a door to the rear court, a door to a shower room and a staircase leading the first floor. This opens into a bedroom with mezzanine above and also has a door leading to the rear lane considered to be the old Saxon arch.
Returning to the ground floor a door leads into a sitting room and further door into the kitchen with door to the rear court and staircase to the first floor. Here there is the second bedroom for this unit also with mezzanine above.
Now we return to the main areas of the accommodation with the Great Hall on the first floor which has very old exposed 'A' frame roof trusses, a massive open stone fireplace and the staircase leading to the ground floor. To the south a door leads into a landing and further door onto a double bedroom. A further door from the landing leads into the principal bedroom area for this property which is 'L' shaped and extends over the entrance porch and has a further recessed area at the back with door leading into a bathroom and w.c.
With its great flexibility, four internal staircases and with its duplication of kitchens and bathrooms, subject to listed building consent, the property is considered ideal for adaptation to and perhaps back to its historic roots of three main units of accommodation in this fascinating and historic environment.
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60312506.html
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference BOD160132. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Fine & Country, Bodmin. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.