5 bedroom detached house for saleHerringfleet Road, St. Olaves, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
A unique 4/5 bedroom detached property dating back in parts to 1890. It stands in approximately 1.83 (stms) acres of woodland, gardens and enjoys shared ownership of a large nature reserve.
- Sitting room/ Library
- Kitchen-dining room with Aga and walk-in larder
- Garden room
- Laundry/ Utility room
- Master bedroom with bathroom
- Bedroom 2 with bathroom
- Downstairs Bedrooms 3 & 4 with shower room
- Attic room
- Double garage and workshop
- South-facing walled courtyard gardens
- Meadows and woodland
- Shared ownership of nature reserve
Adjoining barn-style potential annexe
- Open-plan sitting/kitchen/dining room with oil fired aga
- Shower room, sauna, preserves room
- Mezzanine bedroom area
Driving Distances (approx.)
- Somerleyton 2.4 miles
- Loddon 7.5 miles
- Norwich 19.2 miles
St Olaves is a small village situated on the border of South-East Norfolk and Suffolk, only a 15 minute drive from the sea. The village has a marina, a pub with stunning views over the River Waveney and an English Heritage 13C Augustinian priory. Adjacent is the picturesque Somerleyton Estate, with its thatched village primary school, pub and village shop. The nearby village of Fritton also has a golf course and outdoor activity centre. The thriving market towns of Loddon and Beccles, with High schools, supermarkets and healthcare services are a short drive away. There is also a small train station from which one can reach the Cathedral city of Norwich in 20 mins.
Herringfleet Lodge is tucked away in a very private location but with easy access to neighbouring villages and amenities. The original house was thought to have been built in 1890, but underwent significant changes fifty years ago, including the addition of a beautiful brick and timber barn-style extension. Many of the building materials used were reclaimed, resulting in a home filled with character and charm. The current owners have fully renovated the property inside and out, adding a new slate roof on the main house, which has a painted weatherboard exterior and is of timber frame/blockwork construction. The wooden windows and doors have been restored or sympathetically replaced and the house is light and warm with a new biomass heating system and period-style radiators.
The front door of the property, with its ornate porch leads to a generous entrance hall and stairs to the first floor. The large sitting room/ library has a wood-burning stove with decorative inglenook, inlaid with delft tiles. Bespoke wooden bookshelves line the walls. There is a door leading into the garden from the library, leading into a south facing study. The kitchen-dining room is also accessed from the entrance hallway and is dual-aspect with an oil-fired Aga, built-in electric oven and hob. There are handmade wooden units, with space for appliances and a walk-in larder. Much of the interior is decorated using William Morris wallpapers and wooden cladding painted in soft, heritage colours. Doors from dining room lead into garden. There is a useful utility and plant room, housing the biomass boiler and thermal store. There is also a downstairs shower room with original, decorative sanitary-ware. Two double bedrooms, each with doors leading to the courtyard and a sunny garden room with open balustrades to the second staircase complete the ground floor of the main house. These bedrooms could easily be used as further reception rooms if required.
Upstairs there are two generous dual-aspect bedrooms, each with their own bathroom. One contains a secret doorway into a further attic room. The decoration is immaculate and tasteful and there is an abundance of fitted storage cupboards.
One can also approach the house via a secondary door, again under a covered porch with lean-to log store. This entrance hallway bears right to the library/sitting room and left into the barn style extension/annexe. A stunning vaulted ceiling of reclaimed timbers with large glass French doors make this a perfect entertaining space. The Aga and wood-burning stove add to the character and the shower room and mezzanine-floor bedroom mean this could be used as extra accommodation which can be separate or joined to the main house.
The property is approached up a sweeping gravel drive though woodland, which separates the property from the lane on the north side. There is a large double garage and workshop, with parking for several cars. To the south side of the house there is a pretty, walled courtyard garden with a charming old wash room / outhouse. There are established trees and shrubs, such as rhododendron and laurel and two grass meadow areas, along with woodland and a gate leading to the nature reserve. Together with seven neighbouring properties, over 10 acres (stms) of land forming a stunning nature reserve leading down to the river are co-owned and included with this property. An extraordinary addition to this unique home.
Directions (NR31 9HJ)
From Norwich, head south-west down A146 towards Beccles. Drive past Loddon and turn left just after the Hales Garage onto B1136 towards Haddiscoe. When you meet the A143 junction turn left towards Gorleston. This road takes you over the bridge into the village of St Olaves. After passing The Bell Inn turn right at the junction towards Herringfleet and Somerleyton. This is Herringfleet Road and the property can be found approximately 200 yards on the right, approached through a discreet driveway with a red gate.
Great Yarmouth Borough Council
Mains water and electricity, private drainage, oil-fired Aga's, Biomass boiler and thermal heat store. N.B. Our client has informed us this will generate annual RHI payment of £8000 for the next 6 years. Biomass costs are approx. £1000 per year.
Fixtures and Fittings
Items regarded as fixtures and fittings including carpets, curtains, light fittings, kitchen appliances and garden ornaments are excluded although these items may be available by separate negotiation.
Strictly by prior appointment with joint sole agents Jackson-Stops & Staff. If there is any point which is of particular importance to you, we invite you to discuss this with us, especially before you travel to view the property.
1. These particulars have been prepared in good faith as a general guide, they are not exhaustive and include information provided to us by other parties including the seller, not all of which will have been verified by us.
2. We have not carried out a detailed or structural survey; we have not tested any services, appliances or fittings. Measurements, floor plans, orientation and distances are given as approximate only and should not be relied on.
3. The photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current, aspects may have changed since the photographs were taken. No assumption should be made that any contents are included in the sale.
4. We have not checked that the property has all necessary planning, building regulation approval, statutory or regulatory permissions or consents. Any reference to any alterations or use of any part of the property does not mean that necessary planning, building regulations, or other consent has been obtained.
5. Prospective purchasers should satisfy themselves by inspection, searches, enquiries, surveys, and professional advice about all relevant aspects of the property.
6. These particulars do not form part of any offer or contract and must not be relied upon as statements or representations of fact; we have no authority to make or give any representation or warranties in relation to the property. If these are required, you should include their terms in any contract between you and the seller.
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60512276.html
Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) graphs
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference NOR160202. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Jackson-Stops, Norwich. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
* This is the maximum possible speed. Broadband speed may be lower at peak times and can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. Fibre/cable services at your postcode are subject to availability. You can confirm availability on the provider's website. The information is provided and maintained by comparethemarket.com
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.