5 bedroom property for saleWest Quay, Burnham on Crouch, CM0
- Stunning houseboat on secure long-lease mooring
- Large south facing open plan lounge and dining area with fantastic river views
- Master bedroom with ensuite bathroom and jacuzzi bath
- Two double guest bedrooms with adjoining shower room
- Study/office with views onto Riverside Park
- Large workshop with adjoining laundry/utility room
- Self-contained one/two bedroom flat with shower room and kitchen
- Large south facing balcony with private pontoon for yacht/boat
HouseSimple is pleased to present this spectacular 5-bedroom houseboat in Burnham on Crouch.
At nearly seventy years old, the Anne Marie Houseboat is possibly one of the oldest continuously habited houseboats within the UK. She is a stunning residence in a secure location on the West Quay at Burnham-on-Crouch on the northern side of the tidal estuary of the River Crouch. Her mooring is one of the finest anywhere and, being perfectly positioned on the curve of the river, offers stunning views wherever you look. Rarely does a kitchen come with a view like it. Looking due south from the lounge or balcony there is a clear view over the river to Wallasea Island, the home of the new RSPB Wild Coasts Project which is just a short hop across the river. On the landward side of the Anne Marie is the Burnham Riverside Park which is a 26.4 hectare area of public open space which includes woodland areas, wetland, wildflower meadows and reed beds, picnic areas and over a kilometre of walking tracks.
If boating is your 'thing', there is a floating pontoon alongside and you can keep your boat on your doorstep. All the sailing action on the River Crouch takes place in your 'garden' and hours can pass sitting on the balcony watching the yachts sail by. Apart from all of the boating activity, there is an amazing array of wildlife to see on the river, the seals, seagulls, little terns, shellducks, godwits, brent geese (spectacular when they arrive in their hundreds), mullet cruising in the shallows, crabs scuttling about, little egrets and grey herons fishing along the tide line at dusk and many other of nature’s wonders. Never have we lived anywhere that requires a pair of binoculars and a good camera always to hand. Because of the amazing view and enormous skyline, sunrises and sunsets often have to be seen to be believed. Photographers from all around congregate on the sea wall to photograph stunning natural events played out in front of the Anne Marie.
The Anne Marie has a totally self-contained flat in the forward third of the hull which is rented out on a regular basis to tenants who want to experience the lifestyle only living on the river can bring. With its own fully furnished lounge, kitchen/diner, two bedrooms and shower room it has everything for a comfortable stay. The decked area on the bow has table and chairs to sit and enjoy the scenery. With its own electricity meter and water supply, the flat is totally self-contained and provides an excellent monthly revenue stream all year round.
Information is available for everything to do with the Anne Marie houseboat on the web. Photos, history, technical, lifestyle and galleries are all there if you Google "anne marie houseboat, burnham"
Uniquely, the Anne Marie is one of only five houseboats allowed to be moored beside this spectacular stretch of seawall close to the centre of Burnham-on-Crouch. All these houseboats collectively constitute the West Quay Houseboat Association (WQHA) who have secured a long-term, rolling, tenure of lease with Maldon District Council (MDC). This type of security is very rare amongst houseboat owners in the UK and is very much appreciated by all the owners who make up the WQHA.
MAIN ACCOMMODATION DESCRIPTION
Entranceway: Hardwood door with stained glass insert, window to north with fitted blind, fitted bookcase, hemlock stairs to lower hallway with balustrade above, electric panel heater.
Open plan sitting / dining room: Very light and spacious with views over the River Crouch to Wallasea Island, Canewdon and Southend-on-Sea in the far distance. Australian rubberwood beamed ceiling, wood burning stove with back boiler for hot water, large double glazed sliding doors to outside decking, 2 electric panel heaters, sold oak flooring, central light with air circulating fan. Room for large dining table etc. door leading to workshop and laundry/utility room, doors to office/study and cloakroom/wc. Built in TV installation point. (Room width: 5.2m max (17ft 1in) Room length: 9.08m (29ft 9in))
Kitchen: Dual aspect (east and south), extensive windows to east with stunning views up the river crouch, Venetian blinds, comprehensive range of natural oak fitted units with marble-effect worktops, central marble topped plinth unit with pull-out power point and space for microwave and bookshelf, space for dishwasher, full height fridge/freezer and standard size freezer, Flavel 8 hob range cooker with gas hobs and electric ovens with extractor hood over, large pantry cupboard, double drainer stainless steel sink and mixer tap, electric panel heater, door to sitting / dining room, door to decked balcony. (Room width: 5.20m (17ft 1in) Room length: 3.53m (11ft 7in))
Study / office: Views over Burnham Riverside Park, large window with roller blind, fitted shelving, fitted carpet, downlighters, telephone/WiFi point, CCTV controller. (Room width: 3.30m (10ft 10in) Room length: 1.72m (5ft 8in))
Cloakroom and WC: Extensive coat racks in cloakroom and door to WC. Fitted carpet, all white toilet and basin with mixer tap, window with roller blind to seawall, halogen downlighters, door to electrical, water and solar panel controls.
Workshop: Dual aspect (east, north and south), extensive windows to east and south with double patio doors leading to aft deck. Fitted units and worktop to river side, storage cupboards, door to store cupboard and access to rear of TV, door to laundry/utility room. This room could easily be converted to an additional upstairs bedroom. (Room width: 5.20m max (17ft 1in) Room length: 3.69m max (12ft 1in))
Laundry/utility: Window to land side with roller blind, fitted units with white worktop and inset stainless steel sink and taps, space under for washing machine, clothes line, low energy heater. (Room width: 1.72m (5ft 8in) Room length: 1.69m (5ft 5in))
Lower hallway: Fitted shoe cupboard, electric panel heater, door to master bedroom, doors to guest bedrooms, door to shower room, door to store room, 2 opening portholes to seawall, fitted carpet, smoke alarm, LED down lights.
Master bedroom: 2 double fitted wardrobes, 1 fitted shelved cupboard, wall safe, fitted cupboards with worktop, extensive LED down lights, 2 wall mounted (dimmable) bedside lights, 2 electric panel heaters. 2 sealed portholes with roller blinds, large round glass mirror, wall mirror, fitted carpet, TV aerial point and mains sockets (Room width: 4.19m (13ft 9in) Room length: 4.55m (14ft 11in))
Master en-suite bathroom: Half tiled, white suite, WC, large jacuzzi bath with centre taps and hand shower, basin with mixer tap and cupboard below, illuminated mirror, 3 towel racks, heated towel rail, shaver point, fitted carpet, LED downlighters, porthole looking over the river.
Guest double bedrooms #1: Double wardrobe, fitted carpet, TV aerial point, 2 portholes with roller blinds, electric panel heater, (Room width: 4.18m (13ft 9in) Room length: 2.50m (8ft 2in))
Guest double bedrooms #2: Fitted carpet, TV aerial point, 2 portholes with roller blinds, electric panel heater, (Room width: 4.18m (13ft 9in) Room length: 2.50m (8ft 2in))
Guest Shower room: Fully tiled, white suite, corner shower with thermostat control, WC, basin with mixer tap, beech shelf unit, heated towel rail, mirror, over mirror light and shaver point, 2 opening portholes, towel rack, downlighters.
Store room: Power and light, emergency escape hatch to aft deck. (Room width: 5.95m max (19ft 6in) Room length: 3.73m max (12ft 3in))
Entranceway: Access from fore deck, steps to entrance hall, door with obscure window, lighting, shelf.
Lower lobby: Doors to store room/bedroom#2, shower room and living area, power point, under stair storage, control switches.
Store room/bedroom#2: carpet, power point, electrical fuse box (Room width: 4.48m max (14ft 8in) Room length: 2.34m max (7ft 8in))
Guest Shower room: White suite, corner shower with electric power shower, WC, basin with mixer tap, wall unit, towel rail, wall fan heater, extractor fan, mirror light and shaver point, downlighters.
Lounge area: Portholes to north and south with roller blinds, 2 wall lights, electric panel heater, TV point, power points, fitted carpet, smoke alarm. (Room width: 5.74m max (18ft 10in) Room length: 2.36m (7ft 9in))
Kitchen: Porthole to land with roller blind, fitted units to two sides with white worktop, inset stainless steel sink unit with mixer tap, spaces for fridge/freezer and washing machine under, wall units, built in cooker and hob with extractor unit over, room for table and chairs, cushion floor.(Room width: 2.72m (8ft 11in) Room length: 2.49m (8ft 2in))
Bedroom: fitted carpet, TV aerial point, porthole with roller blind, electric panel heater, (Room width: 2.95m (9ft 8in) Room length: 2.35m (7ft 9in))
Some useful information
- Unusually for the East Coast, the River Crouch offers deep water sailing and Burnham Marina (200m away) is available at all states of the tide if you want ready access to your boat. For this reason it is perhaps regarded as the boating capital of the East Coast with five yacht clubs and three boatyards as well as sailmakers and chandleries. Burnham-on-Crouch also hosts an annual sailing regatta known as 'Burnham Week' in the last week of August. The week includes competitive yacht and dinghy racing on the river with the event being shared among four of the established sailing clubs in Burnham. The Burnham Sailing Club (200m away) offers dinghy sailing and yacht racing on Wednesday and Friday evenings as well as Sundays in season with a very strong youth element and good instruction. The Club is very 'go-ahead' and has just invested in a new all-tide pontoon which can also be used for leaving one's boat until the tide returns to ANNE MARIE. It is a provision of using the BSC car park that any owner should be a member (otherwise there is free car parking slightly further away) but this is more than compensated for by use of the Club and facilities. Burnham offers one-design and handicap yacht racing on Wednesdays and weekends as well as a water-skiing area up river and Essex Marina, a large motor-yacht dealer at Wallasea. The River Roach offers another 8 miles of cruising (as opposed to the Crouch's 12m) with many small inlets with it's own seal and bird colonies. Sailing out of the River Crouch gives access to the whole of the East Coast and the Thames Estuary.
- Royal Burnham Yacht Club (1km away)
- Royal Corinthian Yacht Club (1.5km away)
- Crouch Yacht Club (300m away)
- Priors Boatyard (1km away)
- Rice and Coles Boatyard (2km away)
- Crouch Harbour Authority (1.5km away)
- Railway station: 0.7 miles (10 mins walk) away with link to Wickford and direct links to London Liverpool St.
- Bus stop: 300m away. All local services plus Maldon, Chelmsford and beyond.
- London Stansted Airport: 70 mins away.
- London Southend Airport: 45 mins by car or by rail via Wickford
Sport and fitness:
- Dengie Sports Centre (100m away) Gym, keep fit classes, badminton etc.
- Burnham Rugby Club (100m away)
- Burnham Ramblers football Club at the entrance to the Town. All ages!
- Skate Park (100m away)Burnham Bowls Club (300m away)
- Maldon and District Cycling Club has many members living in Burnham and there is lots of cycling activity in the area.
- The Rio Cinema is 300m away and shows all the latest blockbusters at a fraction of the price of major cinema chains!
Pubs and Clubs:
- Burnham Constitutional Club (1.5km away)
- The Star (1km away)
- The White Hart (1.5km away)The Queen's Head (1.5km away)
- The Anchor (1.5km away)
- The New Welcome Sailor (1.5km away)
- The Ship (1.5km away)
- The Victoria (2km away)
Restaurants and Cafés:
- There are many cafe's, restaurants and take-way’s in and around Burnham, too many to list here.
Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs)
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-61076876.html
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference HSS48793. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Housesimple Online Estate Agents, Nationwide. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.