7 bedroom detached house for saleGreat Saling, Braintree, Essex, CM7
- 6 reception rooms
- 7 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms
- 2 bedroom cottage
- Outbuildings, double garage
- Celebrated gardens
- Woodland & water
- Swimming pool & tennis Court
- Planning permission granted for change of use to a boutique country house restaurant with rooms
- About 12 acres
Historic Grade II* Elizabethan Manor House set in 12 acres of celebrated gardens. Planning permission for change of use to a boutique country house restaurant with rooms
The hall lies by the ancient church, with Saxon foundations, on the edge of the small village of Great Saling in the midst of peaceful farmland.
Great Saling is located midway between Great Dunmow and Braintree, two miles north of the dual-carriageway A120 (access at Dunmow) and 14 miles east of the M11. Stansted airport with its four-an-hour trains to London is 20 minutes away, London 50 minutes by train, or approx. 90 minutes by car via the A120 and the M11.
Great Dunmow (6 miles) has good shops, Braintree (5 miles) more shops and cinemas, and Felsted, 4miles away, is famous for its coeducational public school. 3 miles to the north lies Great Bardfield with convenient shops.
Historic Elizabethan manor house, grade II* listed, with 17th century facade. lying by the ancient church on the edge of the small village of Great Saling in the midst of peaceful farmland. Stansted airport with its four-an-hour trains to London is 20 minutes away, London 50 minutes by train, or an easy 90 minutes by car.
The approach to Saling Hall is through a small park with a pond and fine trees into a walled front court enclosing the mellow brick southern front. To the south lies the flint-built parish church. The Hall consists of three wings surrounding a brick paved rear yard, with mellow red brick on the south, west and east sides and traditional stud work in the rear, facing the old stable-range. The original house was remodelled in 1699 (the date on the east gable), cased in brick over the old studwork and each of the two front wings extended with a Dutch gable. Unusually it has two front doors of equal importance, the legacy of two sisters who shared the house in the 1790s, each being married to a naval officer often absent at sea.
The ground floor still shows signs of its 18th century division in two, with two halls, two staircases and two kitchens (one now the study). The west wing contains the oak panelled drawing room, sitting room, present kitchen, and the fine staircase of 1699.
Upstairs are the principal bedroom, its ensuite bathroom, three other bedrooms, an oak-panelled study and another bathroom and separate toilet.
The ground floor of the east wing contains the panelled and painted entrance hall, the library and study, which face east across the moat. Upstairs are the Chinese morning room, the principal guest bed-room and bathroom and two other bedrooms.
The capacious cellars are a notable feature of the house. Those under the east wing have Tudor origins and include an 18th century wine cellar with its original bins.
The house has two identical front doors, created in 1795 when the hall was shared between two sisters married to naval officers. The east and west wings became in effect two houses, reunited as one in the 19th century but still capable of separation.
The left hand front door opens into the main hall, now also used for formal dining, decorated in a Venetian silk fabric with oak graining in the same colour. The magnificent 9 foot wide fireplace is marbled in the same baroque style, and the floor in this and the staircase hall paved with ancient terra-cotta pammets.
The staircase hall of the west wing opens off the main hall, with doors leading to the drawing room, conservatory, cellar, sitting room and service corridor.
The drawing room is panelled with small Elizabethan natural oak panels . Two windows look west into the walled garden and two southeast to the front court. There are original iron casements of 1699 with their original hinges and catches and much of their original leaded glazing.
The broad and lofty st aircase mounts with two half-landings to the bedroom floor. This was part of the 1699 remodelling of the house and is remarkable for its solid elm handrail supported by unique turned balusters in the form of wine-goblets and corkscrews.
Under the staircase a door leads to the west cellar equipped with traditional brick wine bins. A glass door leads into the spacious conservatory with its tiled floor. The double door beyond leads to the central herringbone brick path of the walled garden.
North of the staircase a door opens into the small sitting room, with 17th century painted oak panelling, a fireplace with carved stone surround and two windows opening into the conservatory.
Beyond the sitting room lies the kitchen, with a half-glass door leading into the conservatory. Another half-glass door leads to the back porch, the family entrance to the house, and the larder. The kitchen is equipped with an oil-fired Aga and a number of glass-fronted wall cupboards, the window above the sink looking out on a small herb garden.
Upstairs, the west wing
The first floor has high ceilings in the manner of a piano mobile, the main bedroom having fine proportions and 18th century painted pine panelling. Its en suite bathroom overlooks the front park.
North of the staircase landing a corridor leads to bedroom 2, overlooking the walled garden. Bedroom 3, next door, adjoins a second bathroom. Bedroom 4 lies off the back corridor through an oak-panelled dressing room.
Downstairs, the east wing
Returning to the main hall on the ground floor, a fine panelled door leads to the painted hall with the front door to the east wing. The painted hall features panelled and painted doorcases of 1699. The door to the east leads to the library, furnished with fitted bookcases, cupboards and filing cabinets. The library adjoins the current office, a former kitchen, with a dresser, sink and iron-fronted hearth. A door from this room leads to a former larder and thence to the garage and east cellar.
Upstairs, the east wing
From the painted hall a second staircase leads to the first floor, opening into the Chinese morning room, adjoining bedroom 4 and its panelled dressing room. Four doors lead off the Chinese room: to the rear passage and bedroom 4, to the principal guest bedroom 5, overlooking the moat, to its bathroom and to bedrooms 6 and 7 which overlook the front park.
The east and west wings are joined on the north, courtyard side by the old service passage, linking the utility/flower room, the boiler room, and another former kitchen recently used as a workshop/studio.
The second floor is reached by a staircase beside the spacious airing cupboard and consists of nine attic rooms.
At the back of the house lies the brick-paved courtyard with a double garage from which stairs lead to the principal cellar, consisting of four rooms with brick wine bins.
In the yard is the brick well-head of the serviceable well, 35 feet deep into a good gravel seam. The water, used for garden watering, is pumped to a pressure-tank in the workshop at the west end of the weather-boarded gardener's cottage, converted from former stables. The cottage consists of a sitting room, kitchen with larder, two bedrooms and bathroom.
Surrounding the hall is its 12 acre garden and arboretum. It has been described as the only truly Elysian garden in the style of William Kent created in the second half of the 20th century. Now approaching maturity, its fine trees, its groves and glades, its five ponds, its temple and statuary evoke an earlier age, with the benefit of relatively simple maintenance.
The gardens have been photographed and featured in many books and magazines, and since 1975 have formed the background to the monthly Tradescant's Diary, for over thirty years the first article in the magazine of the Royal Horticultural Society, The Garden.
They cover some twelve acres, the greater part being a landscaped arboretum with many rare trees, glades and groves and pools.
The conservatory looks out into the walled garden, to the west of the house, dating back to 1698 and formally laid out with a central box-hedged brick path, box pyramids and apple trees trained as parasols. A gothic doorway leads into the churchyard. Beyond the walled garden lies the kitchen garden, with two greenhouses and a potting shed.
North of the walled garden lies the swimming pool, snugly sheltered by ten-foot yew hedges, heated by the boiler in the small changing room. Beyond lies a tennis court.
At the north end of the gardens lies the Temple of Pisces, facing south down a spacious glade with a horseshoe pond known as the Red Sea.
Closer to the house lies the small Japanese garden with its cascade, and intimate woodland gardens, containing a teahouse overlooking the Water Garden with two more ponds and a fountain, a thatched barn used for firewood and a further shed used for equipment.
Square Footage: 10,118 sq ft
Acreage: 12 Acres
Exit M11 at junction 8A, follow A120 towards Colchester/ Stansted, continue east for just over 8 miles, and then take a left onto B184. After just under 1 mile, at the roundabout take the 2nd exit onto the B1256. After 4 miles turn left (signposted Great Saling) and after 2 miles enter the village of Great Saling. The drive to Saling Hall will be seen on the left hand side, 200 yards after The White Hart.
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference CHS160063. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Savills, Country Department. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.