3 bedroom semi-detached house for sale

Cherry Street, Bingham

Sold STC £300,000

Property Description

Full description

Tenure: Freehold

In need of some modernisation or further development.

A substantial 3 bedroomed semi-detached family home on a substantial plot with a private and westerly facing rear garden - with plenty of off street parking and all within a short stroll of the Bingham Market Place!

THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THIS PROPERTY HAS COME TO THE MARKET FOR PUBLIC PURCHASE… BEING OWNED BY THE SAME FAMILY FOR MANY YEARS. A CHARMING SEMI-DETACHED HOME BUILT IN THE EARLY 1920s AND ENJOYING A WEALTH OF ORIGINAL FEATURES.

ENJOYING A WONDERFUL POSITION ONLY A SHORT WALK FROM ALL OF THE AMENTIIES WITHIN THE BINGHAM MARKET PLACE, THIS ONE ONLY REQUIRES A SYMPATHETIC SCHEME OF MODERNISATION AND UPGRADING TO CREATE A HOME WITH ALL OF THE CHARM AND CHARACTER SO SELDOM FOUND.

Whilst this fine home offers the perfect combination of size and space, this popular Market Town is also on the edge of the Vale of Belvoir with its limitless walks as well as quaint villages, many with their own hostelries and each with their unique character!. Also just a few minutes' walk away is Bingham Market Place with its range of shops. Robert Miles, Carnarvon and Toot Hill Schools catering for all school age groups are also within walking distance of the property.

For the busy executive, the upgraded A46 & A52 are close at hand providing access to the surrounding commercial centres of Nottingham, Newark, Leicester and Grantham. Bingham enjoys a wonderful range of supermarkets and independent shops, eateries, coffee house, public houses with a market held every Thursday. There is also a medical centre, pharmacies, dentists and a library. Should a shopping trip to the larger towns be the 'order of the day' Bingham has direct rail links to Nottingham and Grantham and bus routes to Nottingham and the surrounding villages.

HOW TO FIND 8 CHERRY STREET: From our Bingham Office the property may be approached by leaving the Bingham Market Place on Church Street. Follow the road around to the right at the Church into Cherry Street, and then the property will be found on the right hand side clearly denoted by our For Sale sign.

Reproduced with kind permission from The Bingham Heritage Trails Association www.binghamheritage.org.uk

As with many properties in Bingham the story of 8 Cherry Street starts with the Earls of Chesterfield. It, along with numbers 2, 4 and 6 were built in or around 1920 on former orchards belonging to the Shelford Estate. The orchard was purchased from the Earl of Carnarvon in 1920 by Charles Christopher Hume Cadge, who owned the pharmacy in Market Street. The Rural District Surveyor and Sanitary Inspector, Cyril Walker Kendrick designed numbers 6 and 8. Mr Cadge occupied number 6 and rented out number 8 to Mr Kendrick. Mr Cadge's successors in title sold the four houses between 1951 and 1975.

Review of Deeds Documents

The first document is an abstract of title to the land of the Earl of Carnarvon. This document records the inheritance by Evelyn Georgiana Countess of Carnarvon of much of her father the Earl of Chesterfield's estate. This eventually passed to her son the fifth Earl of Carnarvon who discovered the tomb of Tutankhamun.

The land was conveyed freehold to Cadge on 15th July 1920 for the sum of £300. We know from other deeds and land registry information that the Earl of Carnarvon sold many freeholds in Bingham in 1920. He and Howard Carter discovered Tutankhamen in November 1922 and were running short of funds for the excavations. One suspects sale of freeholds was one way of raising the cash. The land is described in the conveyance: All that piece or parcel of land situate on and having a frontage to Cherry Street in the Parish of Bingham containing by recent admeasurement one thousand nine hundred and ninety three square yards or thereabouts and bounded to the North by hereditaments belonging to and towards the East by Cherry Street and towards the South West by other hereditaments belonging to the Earl and which said piece of land is now used as an orchard and in the occupation of (no forename) Little.

The 1922 Directory lists a Thomas Edward Little as a boot and shoe seller in Bingham Market Place, but we have no way of telling if this is the same Little mentioned as occupier of the orchard. A postcard from about 1920 shows the wall to the orchard clearly together with the shop at Dane Cottage opposite.

The annotation 'Plot 1' on a plan attached to the documents suggests this may have been part of a larger sale. The plan shows the access drive to the police station and court house (now the Old Court House) so the unnamed owner to the north would have been either Nottinghamshire Constabulary or the County Court.

North of this driveway, the freehold for 12 Church Street (and we suspect the other three villas there) was sold by the Earl on 22nd June 1920. The description of the orchard plot suggests that what is now Regency House (65 Long Acre) was still in the Earl's possession. We do not yet know when this freehold was sold. As with similar sales the Earl retained the mineral rights. The Earl covenanted to maintain the southern boundary wall for ever but no mention is made of the western wall, also at that time owned by the Earl. Perhaps this indicates the Chesterfield Arms' freehold was also being sold at the time, in which case responsibility for the boundary wall may have rested with the owner of that new freehold.

We know from the present owner of number 8 that Cyril Kendrick designed the pair making up numbers 6 and 8. We do not who designed numbers 2 and 4, which were probably built a few years later. Examination of the styles and decorative features suggests they were all constructed within a short time frame. The stained glass decoration of the hall windows to 6 and 8 is somewhat more ornate than that to numbers 2 and 4. But on the other hand Cadge and Kendrick were to occupy the latter and the others were only for rent to as yet unknown tenants! The different styles of the bay windows between the pairs of houses might also suggest slightly different build dates. The lounge windows of all four houses strike one as being large for the period. Mr Kendrick was keen that people should be able to see out of their windows whilst seated. (Indeed he applied this principle to his design of the first council houses in Bingham, at Nottingham Road/Stanhope Way). The front garden wall to all the properties is fairly evidently the original wall to the orchard, and probably lowered with a view in mind! The gardens contain one or two original orchard trees and number 8 has the remains of the well.

A plan drawn in 1951, for the sale of number 2, shows that Cadge's house occupied 614 square yards, a larger plot than the others, number 8 had 514 sq yds and numbers 2 and 4 441 sq yds and 431 sq yds respectively. It also shows in pencil an annotation to the effect that the Chesterfield Arms land was then owned by Loscoe Bradley. The deeds bundle contains an interesting paper relating to the redemption of Land Tax in May 1921 which suggests the houses had not yet been built, as the property assessed is described as orchard. The taxable value was £6 and the charge at 6½d in the pound was 3 shillings and three pence. Cadge redeemed the charge with a payment of £4-17-6d. His address is given as Market Street, so he was presumably still living above the chemist shop. The plan attached to this document shows the Earl of Carnarvon as owner still to the west and south.

Entrance door through to

HALLWAY with feature original stained glass window to the front.

LOUNGE with feature open fireplace

BEDROOM 1 (front)

BEDROOM 2 (rear)

LANDING

BEDROOM 3 (rear)

BATHROOM

More information from this agent

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs)

Listing History

Added on Rightmove:
20 September 2016

Nearest stations

  • Bingham (0.2 mi)
  • Aslockton (2.1 mi)
  • Radcliffe (Notts) (3.7 mi)
Distances are straight line measurements from centre of postcode

Nearest schools

Use the school checker

To view this property or request more details, contact:

HAMMOND Property Services, Bingham

11 Market Place, Bingham, NG13 8AR

01949 443013 Local call rate

How much will it cost me to call the number displayed on the site?

Standard geographic charges from landlines and mobiles apply and calls may be included in your telecom provider's call package.

Floorplans


To view this property or request more details, contact:

HAMMOND Property Services, Bingham

11 Market Place, Bingham, NG13 8AR

01949 443013 Local call rate

How much will it cost me to call the number displayed on the site?

Standard geographic charges from landlines and mobiles apply and calls may be included in your telecom provider's call package.

Map & Street View

Nearest stations

  • Bingham (0.2 mi)
  • Aslockton (2.1 mi)
  • Radcliffe (Notts) (3.7 mi)
Distances are straight line measurements from centre of postcode

To view this property or request more details, contact:

HAMMOND Property Services, Bingham

11 Market Place, Bingham, NG13 8AR

01949 443013 Local call rate

How much will it cost me to call the number displayed on the site?

Standard geographic charges from landlines and mobiles apply and calls may be included in your telecom provider's call package.

Disclaimer - Property reference B3616. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by HAMMOND Property Services, Bingham. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.

Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.