9 bedroom detached house for saleLondon Road, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN1
Guide Price £2,600,000
- classic Grade II listed Victorian villa
- prime central position, 0.4 miles MLS
- attached 2 bedroom self-contained cottage
- in total: 6,255 sq ft over 4 floors
- period features with a contemporary finish
- 7 bedrooms, 4 reception rooms
- kitchen/breakfast room opening to garden
- lower ground floor with private access
- carriage driveway and off-street parking
An exceptional and immaculately-presented Grade II listed detached town house, together with an inter-linked cottage, located in a prime central position with a fine view to the Common.
Summerhill House is located in a sought-after prominent position opposite the Common, within close proximity of the town centre shops and amenities, Trinity Theatre, the mainline station and the historic Pantiles.
Private and state schools:
There are many highly-regarded schools in the area, including Rose Hill and Holmewood House preparatory schools, girls' and boys' grammars, state secondaries in Tunbridge Wells and Tonbridge and independent secondaries in Tonbridge, Mayfield, Sevenoaks and Eastbourne.
The A21, accessible just North of Tunbridge Wells, links directly to the M25 (junction 5) and thereby to London and the national motorway network. Gatwick Airport is about 22 miles to the West via the A264.
- entrance porch
- entrance hall
- 2 principal reception rooms
- sitting room
- family room
- open plan kitchen/breakfast room
Lower ground floor
- games room
- cinema room
- laundry room
- shower room
- side passage to the garden
- gardener's w.c.
- rear door providing separate access
- master bedroom with double dressing room and bathroom
- 2 further en suite double bedrooms
- 3 bedrooms
- study/bedroom 7
- 3 bath/shower rooms
- garden to front and rear
- carriage driveway
- off-street parking
- private entrance
- sitting room
- rear hallway interlinking to the main house
- 2 first floor bedrooms (one en suite)
- shower room
- off-street parking
A classic Grade II listed double-fronted Victorian villa, dating back to 1860 and presented throughout with a quality contemporary finish which complements the many inherent period features.
The adaptable and spacious accommodation is arranged over four floors, with a charming inter-linked and self-contained two bedroom cottage to the West elevation enabling flexibility of use, with its own dedicated entrance and parking.
Summerhill House enjoys the typical elegant proportions of the Victorian period with high ceilings and big sash and multi-paned windows enhancing the natural light and decorative architraves and mouldings giving a sense of grandeur.
This iconic property is located in a prestigious central position facing the Common, about 0.3 of a mile from the town centre, with a choice of well-regarded schools in the vicinity, including Kent grammar schools.
For commuters, the mainline station is also within walking distance being about 0.4 miles from the property, enabling a journey to London Charing Cross (via London Bridge and Waterloo East) and Cannon Street from 50 minutes. Further points of note include:
- attractive view of The Common from the front and a townscape view towards the Trinity Theatre to the rear;
- elegant contemporary muted colour tones, wood panel doors, wide stripped wood flooring, deep skirting boards, picture rails, decorative architraves, mouldings, cornicing and ceiling roses, internal window shutters and pretty fireplaces;
- canopied Tuscan porch with a cast iron balcony over and a striking front door with decorative glazing opening into an impressive reception hall with a sweeping staircase rising to the first floor;
- 2 principal reception rooms to the front with deep bay windows and feature fireplaces, one incorporating a wood burning stove;
- informal family space comprising a magnificent open plan kitchen/breakfast room featuring big multi-paned doors with folding wooden shutters o pening out to the garden, a sitting room with a wood burning stove and a family room, also with doors to the garden;
- first floor master suite comprising a spacious bedroom featuring a pewter fireplace with moulded surround, deep bay windows framing a view to the Common and linking through to a double dressing room with a comprehensive range of mirrored built-in cupboards and a well-appointed bath/shower room;
- 2 further en suite bedrooms on the first floor, 4 4on the second floor (one currently used as a study), together with 3 further bath/shower rooms;
- beautifully-presented lower ground floor with under floor heating and dedicated access to two sides. Accommodation on this level comprises a laundry room with space for appliances and features a glass-covered brick well inset in the floor, a games room, a shower room and a cinema room.
The cottage is a delightful addition to the main house, being self-contained and comprising a sitting room with a wood burning stove, kitchen, two bedrooms and two bath/shower rooms. Benefitting from its own private front door and parking outside, it offers adaptable private space which can also be accessed from the family room in the main house if required.
Summerhill House is set back from the road, behind a formal hedge-lined wrought-iron railed fence, with an impressive carriage driveway offering off-street parking to the front.
A sheltered part-walled garden to the rear can be accessed from the kitchen/breakfast room and the family room, providing a lovely space for entertaining.
A side spur off the driveway leads to the front door of The Cottage. Beyond is The Coach House which is under separate ownership and has a Right of Way for access over the Summerhill House driveway.
Planning permission and Listed Buildings Consent is in place to relocate the gate posts on the main entrance and to install two new gates.
Mains gas-fired central heating. Mains water, electricity and drainage.
Tunbridge Wells Borough Council: 01892 526121. Tax Band G.
Parking: Residents' parking permits available, Zone C, £60 per year.
Strictly by appointment with Savills on 01892 507000. If there is any point which is of particular importance to you, we invite you to discuss this with us, especially before you travel to view the property.
Savills, their clients and any joint agents give notice that:
1. They have no authority to make or give any representations or warranties in relation to the property. These particulars do not form part of any offer or contract and must not be relied upon as statements or representations of fact.
2. Any areas, measurements or distances are approximate. The text, photographs and plans are for guidance only and are not necessarily comprehensive. It should not be assumed that the property has all necessary planning, building regulation or other consents and Savills have not tested any services, equipment or facilities. Purchasers must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise.SK:611060
Square Footage: 6,255 sq ft
From our offices in the High Street Tunbridge Wells turn left onto Vale Road, after the zebra crossing turn right and join the London Road. Go straight over at the traffic lights, turn right into York Road, turn right again down the side road where Summerhill House will be found on the left hand side.
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-62652446.html
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference TUS150434. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Savills, Tunbridge Wells. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.