8 bedroom detached house for saleHigh Street, Yelling, Cambridgeshire, PE19
Guide Price £2,150,000
- 8 bedrooms
- 3 reception rooms and study/playroom
- 1,429 sq ft of period outbuildings
- hard tennis court
- central village location
- Aga kitchen/breakfast room
- 2 en suites and 2 family bathrooms
- in all 2.6 acres
A handsome and imposing Grade II Listed former Rectory in mature grounds of 2.6 acres
The Old Rectory is at the centre of the village of Yelling, tucked away in a superb, private elevated position adjacent to the church with views of the surrounding countryside. Yelling is a quiet rural village within undulating countryside between the High Tech University City of Cambridge and the riverside market town of St Neots.
Local facilities are available in St Neots (6 miles) including a Cineworld Cinema, a variety of everyday supermarkets including Waitrose and Marks and Spencer's Simply Food, a local Farmer's market, a mix of cafes, pubs, coffee shops and restaurants, public moorings along the river, a wide variety of sporting activities and a mainline station (London King's Cross from 42 minutes).
The village enjoys ready access onto the A428, the Cambridge to St Neots road, which in turn connects to the A1 in the west, the A14 to the east, and on to the M11, M1 and M6.
There are renowned schools in the area including a full range of independent schools in Cambridge and Bedford together with other local schools including Newton Primary School in nearby Eltisley.
The Old Rectory is a really handsome and fascinating period property of two principal styles. The original house dates from the very early part of the 18th Century and there is a later mellow yellow brick Victorian south east "wing" which internally connects seamlessly with the original dwelling. Grade II listed as being of historical and architectural interest, The Old Rectory is described as being early 18th Century red brick with five recessed hung sash windows at both floor levels, with three gabled dormer windows on the upper floor together with a 19th Century wing (projecting slightly from the original) with a shallow hipped slate roof and three first floor recessed hung sash windows. There are a wide variety of period features throughout the property - cornicing, deep architraves and skirtings, panelled doors, open fireplaces, sash windows and the high ceilinged principal rooms are light, spacious and well-proportioned
The front door, in the Victorian wing, has a continuous moulded stone architrave with rounded head and fanlight and leads to a fine entrance hall with sweeping cast iron balustraded staircase, wooden flooring and a trompe l'oeil stone design beneath the dado to the first floor. The three principal reception rooms span the entire width of the house, and a study, utility, boot room and large well-fitted Aga kitchen/breakfast room complete the ground floor accommodation. There is a charming library area on the landing beside the superb master suite of double aspect bedroom and bathroom with oval bath, twin wash basins and shower. There is a guest suite at the opposite end of the first floor together with three further bedrooms and a family bathroom. A second staircase leads to the upper floor with the sixth bedroom with "jack and jill" bathroom, playroom/bedroom 7 and inter-connecting
The property is approached over a pea shingled drive which splits before reaching the house and leads up to a parking sweep beside the front elevation and an additional parking area in front of the former stable block perpendicular to the rear of the house.
There are delightful, mature sloping gardens adjacent to and beyond the front drive incorporating a large mature Lebanese Cedar tree, a fenced pond, rear secluded dining terrace and a wired hard tennis court. Immediately to the rear of the house is a paved courtyard with a range of brick and slate outbuildings part of which has been refurbished to create a superb laundry room, boiler room, gardener's cloakroom and store. Beyond is the stable building which has two built-in loose boxes with herringbone brick floors, a hayloft and separate tack room, a double garage with power and light. Planning and listed building consent was previously granted for the conversion of the former coach house (this has now lapsed). The details and plans are available from the vendor's sole agents.
In all 2.6 acres (1.05 hectares).
In 1771 Henry Venn became Rector of Holy Cross Church in Yelling. In the small country parish his ministry prospered and regular Sunday evening meetings were held in the kitchen at the Rectory. He remained as Rector of Yelling until his death in 1797 at the age of 72.
Henry Venn was educated at the University of Cambridge from 1742 studying at St John's and Jesus Colleges and was the founder of a group known as The Clapham Sect. Its members were chiefly prominent and wealthy evangelical Anglicans who shared common political views concerning the liberation of slaves, the abolition of the slave trade and the reform of the penal system. At this time (1754) he was Curate at Holy Trinity Church on Clapham Common. After many decades of work both in British society and in Parliament, the group saw their efforts rewarded with the final passage of the Slave Trade Act in 1807.
Henry Venn's descendants also came to prominence over the succeeding generations. His son, John Venn (1759 - 1813) was one of the founders of the Church Missionary Society.
His granddaughter, by his daughter Eling, was Charlotte Elliott (1789 - 1871) writer of numerous hymns, most notably the well-loved Just as I Am.
His great grandson, John Venn (1834 - 1923) a Philosopher, was noted for introducing the Venn Diagram.
Square Footage: 7,286 sq ft
Acreage: 2.6 Acres
From Cambridge take the A428 west towards St Neots. Pass over the Caxton Gibbet and take the right turning at Eltisley for St Ives (B1040). Proceed along this road and take the next left to Yelling. Upon entering the village pass the church on the right hand side and the gate to The Old Rectory will be seen on the right before beginning to descend the High Street into the village.
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-62809481.html
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference CAS160175. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Savills, Cambridge. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.