Get brand editions for Winkworth, Newark

This property has been removed by the agent. It may be sold or temporarily removed from the market

View similar properties

4 bedroom apartment for sale

The Friary, Appletongate, Newark, NG24

Sold STC £395,000

Property Description

Key features

  • Grade II listed apartment
  • Converted Friary building
  • Spacious well maintained accommodation
  • Four bedrooms
  • Two reception rooms
  • Established gardens
  • Two garages
  • Must be seen

Full description

Tenure: Leasehold

This is a Grade II listed 17th Century two storey apartment situated in a converted Friary standing in extensive well maintained gardens enclosed by old stone walls. The Friary is situated in the heart of Newark on Trent a historic market town with extensive amenities and facilities, a Georgian, market square, 12th Century castle, riverside walks and excellent road and rail links including fast rail services to London in around 75 minutes.

The apartment is set over two floors and provides spacious well maintained accommodation with spacious rooms and many original features including high ceilings and period windows. The ground floor living accommodation comprises entrance hall with cloakroom off, two generous sized reception rooms and a fitted breakfast kitchen. To the first floor there are four bedrooms the master having an en-suite shower room. There is gas central heating with a Valient boiler installed approximately 10 years ago.

The established attractive grounds comprise of lawned areas with mature shrubs and plants and a gravelled driveway providing off street parking leading to the garages two of which belong to the apartment.

The Friary has a wealth of history, situated on the site of a vanished house of Observant Friars circa 1507 and then Austin Friars circa 1534. The property is described in some detail by Nicholas Pevsner in his book entitled 'The Buildings of England'. Pevsner, wrote his article prior to the conversion of this property by developers in the 1980s describes the building of 17th Century in its earliest parts remodelled circa 1770 and further alterations carried out between 1868 and 1877. The property is built in blue lias stone, quarried just outside the local village of Staunton
Extensive documentation and research records that the house was occupied by Sir Francis Leeke during the 17th Century and that during the Civil War, Royalists dug siege defences on the boundary of The Friary and banked up contours which can still be identified today. The distinguished and wealthy Branston family who owned a Malting company bought the house in 1867 and established The Friary as ' perhaps the most enviable private house in Newark.'

This is a rare opportunity to acquire a unique spacious period apartment in the heart of the town centre and an internal viewing is highly recommended.
Ground Floor

Reception hall: with wood panelled entrance door, understairs storage cupboard, front aspect mullion window, Amtico flooring, double panelled radiator and arched reveal.
Cloakroom: with wash hand basin, w.c, Amtico flooring, extractor fan and a radiator.
Dining room: 15'4"(4.67) x 11'9"(3.58) plus 13'(3.96) x 4'11"(1.50) with exposed stone wall, coved ceiling with downlighters and two radiators.
Rear hall: with wood panelled rear door, glazed doors to the dining room and a radiator.
Drawing room: 29'11"(9.12) x 18'(5.49) a bright and spacious room with three stone mullion windows to the two side aspects and two to the rear, an attractive focal point fireplace with marbles surround and cast iron tiled inset housing a living flame gas fire, high ceilings with moulded cornice and six radiators.

Breakfast kitchen: 15'3"(4.65) x 11'11"(3.63) this is a good sized room with space for a dining table and fitted with a range of eye and base level units, worksurfacing, one and a half bowl inset sink unit, tiled splashbacks, appliances including electric oven, electric hob, microwave oven, built in fridge/freezer, plumbing for an automatic washing machine and dishwasher. There are two box sash windows to the rear, double panelled radiator, single radiator and a beamed ceiling.
First Floor

Galleried landing: with front aspect stone mullion window, vaulted ceiling with exposed stonework, radiator, airing cupboard with shelving housing the hot water cylinder and a loft hatch.
Bedroom 1: 17'10"(5.44) x 17'8"(5.38) reducing to 11'8"(3.56) with side and rear aspect stone mullion windows enjoying views over the gardens, two double panelled radiators, television point and two double wardrobes.
En-suite: 5'11"(1.80) x 5'2"(1.57) with enclosed tiled shower cubicle, w.c, wash hand basin, ceramic tiled floor, part tiled walls, extractor fan and heated towel rail.
Bedroom 2: 15'2"(4.62) x 17'8"(5.38) plus 9'5"(2.87) x 4'11"(1.50) with vaulted beamed ceiling and exposed A frame truss, feature exposed stonework, radiator, wall mounted book shelves, arched reveal with display shelves, two stone mullion windows, wash hand basin and steps leading to a raised area with balustrade and fitted book shelves.
Bedroom 3: 12'1"(3.68) x 11'5"(3.48) with double panelled radiator, rear aspect box sash window, wall lights, coved ceiling and a radiator.
Bedroom 4: 9'6"(2.90) x 8'2"(2.49) with rear aspect stone mullion windows, double panelled radiator and built in wardrobe with hanging rail and shelves.
Shower room: 9'2"(2.79) x 5'11"(1.80) fitted with a white suite installed in around 2009 comprising low suite w.c., wash hand basin, enclosed shower cubicle with drench and hand shower, towel radiator, tiled floor and part tiled walls, rear aspect stone mullion window and wall mirror with light.
Outside

The well maintained walled gardens comprise of lawned areas,a terrace, 17th Century Yew trees, mature shrubs and plants and gravelled driveway providing off street parking leading to the garages, two of which belong to the apartment. The gardens are maintained by the Residents Management company.

Management company
The Friary Management Company Ltd maintains the fabric of the building, the grounds and the stone wall. There are six directors each being an owner of the properties within the Friary. The garden fund is currently £360 per quarter and the wall fund payment for 2014 was £350. The lease is 999 years with 900 years unexpired and there are no restrictions on pets


More information from this agent

Listing History

Added on Rightmove:
10 November 2016

Map & Street View

Disclaimer - Property reference NWK150151. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Winkworth, Newark. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.

Map data OpenStreetMap contributors.