5 bedroom detached bungalow for saleEwyas Harold, Hereford
Sold STC £675,000
- 5 Bedroom Detached Property
- Dormer Bungalow Accommodation
- Registered Smallholding
- Approximately 21acres of Pastureland and Woodland
- Various Outbuildings and Facilities
- Steeped in History
- Individual, fantastic expansive views of Herefordshire
- Elevated Position, Close to Ewyas Harold Village
A rare and unique opportunity to acquire a piece of local history accompanied by a 21 Acre Smallholding, ideal for buyers with equestrian interest or hobby farming.
Situation - Castle Lands Farm is a five bedroom detached dormer property situated in an elevated position above the village of Ewyas Harold, with fantastic expansive views over the surrounding Herefordshire countryside. The village contains a number of amenities, such as a school, butchers, post office, village hall and fire station. The grounds of Castle Lands Farm are steeped in history, located adjacent to the old Motte and Bailey Castle and accompanied by approximately 21 acres of pasture land, woodland and various outbuildings.
The Property - The main accommodation comprises on the ground floor of entrance hall, utility room with fitted cupboards and washing facility, a rear conservatory/garden room, an open plan kitchen/dining room with a vaulted ceiling benefits from the elevated stunning views and is fitted with a range of matching base and wall units, integrated oven and hobs. Adjacent to the kitchen dining area is a separate sitting room boasting an inset fireplace and large bay window overlooking the outside decking.
From the inner hallway doors lead to two double bedrooms, one currently used as an office both serviced by a bathroom fitted with low flush WC, bath and wash hand basin. At the far end of the accommodation stands a further two double bedrooms and shower room.
The first floor accommodation currently offers one double bedroom with ample storage cupboards, several eave storage cupboards all the while with the potential to extend into both gable ends, perhaps making for a further washroom and bedroom (subject to relevant permissions).
To the front elevation stands the large decked area, accessed by the dining room, this provides a suitable outside space for entertaining family and friends.
Land And Outbuildings - The property is approached by a gravelled driveway from the main roadside up to a parking area offering ample parking for several vehicles as well as a double garage (194 x 1510) and workshop (79 x 6) with electricity supply. To the rear are manmade terraced gardens with a greenhouse and polytunnels.
The land and gardens in total extend to approximately just under 21 acres (20.9)
There is a cultivated area next to the garden which has polytunnel, brick potting shed with open store to the side. The other outbuildings include;
Barn 8.85m x 13.36m
Dutch Barn 6.33m x 4m
Large Corrugated Barn 16.5m x 9m
Old Milking Parlour 12m x 4.5m
The remainder of the land comprises a large field laid to pasture (with old lay style grass) and a further woodland boasting a plethora of wildlife, planted approximately 15 years ago including such tree species as oak, ash cherry, maple and birch. The woodland is still registered as part of a woodland development grant which provides remunerations of £750 per annum (Valid until 2018).
Directly adjacent to the house are the remains of the Anglo Saxon Castle with its historic motte and bailey. Carrying strong historical importance, the castle is registered as a scheduled ancient monument. Ref: SM30079
The property is a registered smallholding and also has the benefit of commoners rights over the Ewyas Harold Common. This gives the right to graze 10 Cattle and 40 Sheep on the common without charge.
Castle History - This motte and bailey is located adjacent to the house and is one of only 3 sites constructed prior to the Norman Conquest. Overseeing the Monnow Valley, which the castle site was built to defend, the grounds benefit from fantastic expansive countryside views spanning towards Monmouth. Felled timber from the Motte site and 15 year old planted woodland provide sustainable heating backed up by hot water solar panels.
The first castle on this site was built sometime between 1048-1051 by Osbern Pentecost. It was dismantled in 1052 following conflict between the Norman Nobles and Godwin, Earl of Essex, but refortified shortly after the conquest in 1066 1067 by William Fitzobern. Fitz Obern was established as Earl of Hereford by William the Conqueror in 1067. The origin of the name Harold in the title is indicated by Leland c.1530 who names the place Mapheralt being the welsh equivalent to son of Herald.
The son of Harold was Robert, Lord of Ewyas in the 12th Century. Robert inherited the Lordship of Ewyas, probably by 1135 and was responsible for founding of the Cistercian Abbey at Dore in 1147. The castle fell out of use in the 15th Century. The last military use of the castle was possibly during the rising of Owain Glyndwr around 1403. Any remains of the castle at Ewyas had disappeared by the civil war in 1645.
In 2006 archaeologists made accurate plans of the earthworks and carried out surveys using remote sensing techniques including ground-penetrating radar. Archaeological studies associated with the castle and the bailey areas have taken place in 2007, 2010 and 2011. Initially these focused on the castle itself, and comprised geophysical surveys of the Motte and Bailey. Subsequently attention moved to the medieval priory cell that was thought to possibly have been located within the castle itself. This later research has demonstrated that this was not the case. The inner bailey was divided from the outer by a defensive ditch and probably fortifications on its inner side. The line of this ditch later became a trackway or road known as King Street.
The site has been featured on Tony Robinsons program on King Harold in 2002 and Dan Snows Programmes on Norman Castle Walks in 2013.
Rights Of Way - A public footpath runs from the south point of the grounds, along the west boundary, accessed by kissing gates.
Services - Mains Water & Electricity, Private Drainage
Agents Note - The solar panels provide energy for the electric heating. Woodburning stove provides heating to the water and underfloor heating. Calor Gas supply available on standby.
Council Tax - Herefordshire Council Band E 2016/17
Directions - From Hereford, proceed south on the A465 towards Abergavenny. After approximately 12 Miles turn right. signposted to Ewyas Harold Village. Proceed through the village past the village hall, over the hump back bridge and bear left. Passing the public house and chip shop headed to Longtown. After approximately 100 meters, turn left onto the private driveway signposted Castle Lands.
Viewings - Strictly by appointment. Please contact the agents on 01432 344779 before travelling to check viewing arrangements and availability.
Jackson Property - for themselves and the vendors of the property, whose agents they are, give notice that these particulars, although believed to be correct, do not constitute any part of an offer of contract, that all statements contained in these particulars as to this property are made without responsibility and are not to be relied upon as statements or representations of fact and that they do not make or give any representation or warranty whatsoever in relation to this property. Any intending purchaser must satisfy himself by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of the statements contained in these particulars.
The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixture, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose, neither has the agent checked the legal documents to verify the freehold/leasehold status of the property. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their solicitor or surveyor.
10Th November 2016 -
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-63139016.html
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference 26635646. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Jackson Property, Hereford. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.