|Added on Rightmove:||31 August 2016 (390 days ago)|
- Early 19th century former watermill
- Nine bedrooms; seven en suite
- Six reception rooms
- Cinema/surround sound system
- 6.5 acres
- Riverside gardens, private lake
- Private fishing rights
- Triple garage, two barns
An early 19th century nine bedroom detached former mill set in approximately 6.5 acres on an island surrounded by the River Ivel. Tempsford Mill comprises The Old Mill House and New Mill. The Old Mill House dates from 1812 and has brick elevations beneath a plain tiled roof. It now has four bedrooms, two of which are en suite, together with a family bathroom. The New Mill was reconstructed in recent times and is a weather-boarded timber frame building with accommodation linked to the Mill House via a double reception room on the ground floor. This part of the property has five bedrooms, all of which are en suite. The property has been completely renovated and has approximately 6.5 acres of grounds, private fishing rights, a water wheel, a triple garage and two storage barns with power connected.
The village of Blunham is on the Cambridgeshire/Bedfordshire border, 53 miles north of London. The property can be accessed via the nearby A1(M) which leads south to the M25 and London and north to the A14, and the M1 and M6. Regular rail services go from Sandy and St Neots stations into London Kings Cross taking from 47 and 40 minutes respectively. Luton International Airport is 25 miles away. There are some shops in Sandy, a Waitrose at St Neots, and more comprehensive shopping in the county town of Bedford 8 miles away. Locally there are a number of historic villages, including Ickwell and Old Warden, as well as the market town of Ampthill. The University City of Cambridge is 23 miles to the east. Schooling for all age groups is available in the area including the Harpur Trust schools in Bedford. Nearby is the historic Woburn Abbey and Safari Park, and the Woburn Golf and Country Club. To the east are the Newmarket Racecourses, and to the north Grafham Water.
Gardens & Grounds
The Mill has approximately 6.5 acres of grounds, with private fishing rights, an ornamental water wheel, a triple garage and two storage barns with power connected. The 6.5 acre estate includes landscaped gardens, water features and foot bridges. There are outstanding features including a watermill, weir, sluice, the old lock, extensive sweeping lawns, river banks and majestic willow trees. A shingled path leads to a bridge over the sluice leading to further lawned areas on the island, and on to the decommissioned lock. The mill race flows under the house and a timber jetty allows mooring for boats on the tranquil mill pond. These waters provide excellent fishing and there are full fishing rights and rights to control the water. It is said that Prince Phillip has been to fish off the mills banks.
Gardens & Grounds Continued
Around the house are a series of decked and paved terraces offering secluded spots for outside relaxation and dining, taking full advantage of the surroundings. Additional paddocks, meadow and wooded glades add to the variety of this well maintained garden. The property has its own small jetty on the large garden pond, which is often visited by ducks, geese, kingfishers and swans. The property is approached via electric gates along a private drive which leads to a courtyard for parking and a triple garage. In addition, there are two storage barns set behind the Mill House.
History & Heritage
Tempsford Mill is built on an island flanked by the River Ivel and Tempsford Mill stream. By a series of locks, the river formerly served to deliver large quantities of bulky materials, such as coal, to the nearby towns. One of these locks is still present within the grounds. Downstream is Blunham Bridge which dates back to the 17th century. The site of the mill dates back to the Domesday Book of 1086 and can be traced through medieval records. Later historical records confirm that there was a mill operating in Blunham from 1847, until about 1910 when it shows up in records as being a private residence.
About The House
The whole property has been completely renovated to a high standard. State of the art facilities include under floor heating, programmable lighting, a cinema and a surround sound system. These have been carefully combined with the existing period features, such as the original mill detailing and the fireplace in the dining room which was originally made for the Titanic. The reception rooms offer a blend of new and old with exposed beams adding character to a contemporary setting.
About The House continued
The accommodation has views over the gardens and grounds and the original mill stream flows beneath the building. The secluded setting can be enjoyed from inside the mill through the many full length windows and from outside on the terrace balconies and decked areas. The combined accommodation within both buildings extends to over 8,500 sq. ft. and has a total of nine bedrooms and eight bathrooms (seven en suite). There are two kitchens, affording a straightforward re-configuration to house two families or dependants/staff if required.
Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) graphs
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Administration fees may apply when renting a property in England, Wales or Northern Ireland. For more details, please contact the agent.
Property reference BED140862_L. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Michael Graham, Bedford Lettings.
Please refer to our Renting Guides for further information on how to safely rent a property.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.