2 bedroom apartment for sale
Spain - Es Castell, Menorca, Balearic Islands
like this property?Call: 03339 395407
- FRONT LINE SEA VIEWS
- PRIVATE LIFT ACCESS
- LARGE SUNNY TERRACES
- NEXT TO ALL ATOWN AMENITIES
The apartment consists of two floors and comprises: main floor of 114m2 and a fantastic front line terrace of 21m2 and the second floor has 27m2 and a lovely 8m2 terrace with front line views. The main floor has a private lift entrance. The main floor affords a large 60m2 lounge/dining area, totally fitted and equipped kitchen, office area, toilet, main bedroom en-suite of 35m2. The terrace of 12 metres in length has plenty of room for sun loungers and dining table to watch the world go by. On the floor above we find a second suite with its own private terrace. The terraces are completely restored with brand new wooden verandas,new floor tiles and new sun blinds. The apartment is very comfortable with very little noise and the front road is mainly cut off to traffic. The apartment is very light and airy with an east facing terrace so you can watch the first morning sun in the whole of Spain rising above the port of Mahon. Possibility of a mooring in Cala Corb. The apartment is just a few steps away from all the restaurants, shops, bars and famous bay of Cala Fonts with all its waterfront restaurants and fishing boats. Boat trips are available from Cala Fonts and harbour boat trips available from the Port of Mahon. The famous Cami de Cavals (The horse route) is a trail that journeys all around the coastline and is only used for horse riding, walking or mountain biking. The capital, Mahon, is a 5 minute drive. The airport is a 10 minute drive. Every activity is available on the island including cycling, snorkelling, all water sports, football, cricket, rugby, gymnasiums....or take it easier with wine and cheese tasting!!
Es Castell (Spanish: Villacarlos) is a small municipality in eastern Minorca in the Balearic Islands, Spain. The town was founded in 1771 by British Col. Patrick Mackellar and was originally called Georgetown in honour of King George III; however, it takes its current name from the large fort nearby, known to the British as St. Philip's Castle. Col. Patrick MacKellar (Argyllshire 1717-1778) was the chief engineer of Minorca and his house today is known as Son Granot. Es Castell celebrates its Foundation Day on 1 June with 18th-century themed festivities, in which the Municipality itself, St. Philip's Castle Foundation, Son Granot and other institutions participate.
Total 11.6 km2 (4.5 sq mi)
Density 690/km2 (1,800/sq mi)
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
Summer (DST) CEST (GMT +2) (UTC+2)
Postal code 07720
Area code(s) +34 (Spain) + 971 (Baleares)
Maó-Mahón, sometimes written in English as Mahon, Catalan: Maó Spanish: Mahón is a municipality, the capital city of the island of Minorca, and seat of the Island Council of Minorca. The city is located on the eastern coast of the island, which is part of the autonomous community of the Balearic Islands, Spain. Maó-Mahón has one of the largest natural harbours in the world: 5 km (3.1 mi) long and up to 900 metres (2,953 feet) wide. The water is deep but it remains mostly clear due to it being slightly enclosed. It is also said to be the birthplace of mayonnaise. Its population in 2016 was estimated to be 29,495.
A Bit of History:
The name's origin is attributed to the Carthaginian general Mago Barca, brother to Hannibal, who is thought to have taken refuge there in 205 BC. After the fall of the Western Roman Empire, it became part of the Eastern Empire; it suffered raids from Vikings and Arabs, until the Islamic Caliphate of Córdoba conquered it in 903.
Maó-Mahón was captured in 1287 from the Moors by Alfonso III of Aragon and incorporated into the Kingdom of Majorca, a vassal kingdom of the Crown of Aragon. Its harbour, one of the most strategically important in the western Mediterranean, was re-fortified.
In 1535, the Ottomans under Hayreddin Barbarossa attacked Maó-Mahón and took 6,000 captives as slaves back to Algiers, in the Sack of Mahon.Minorca was captured in 1708 by a joint British-Dutch force on behalf of Holy Roman Emperor Charles VI, during the War of the Spanish Succession. The British saw the island's potential as a naval base and sought to take full control. Its status as a British possession was confirmed by the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713. During the island's years as a British dependency, the capital was moved from Ciutadella de Menorca to Mahon, which then served as residence for the governor, the most famous being General Richard Kane. During this period the natural harbour leading to the town and surrounding settlements were sometimes collectively known as "Port Mahon".
The island was lost to the French in 1756 following the naval Battle of Minorca and the final Siege of Fort St Philip, which took place several miles from the town. After their defeat in the Seven Years' War, France returned the island to the British in 1763. In a joint Franco-Spanish effort and following a long five month invasion, the British surrendered the island again in 1782; It was transferred to Spain in 1783 as part of the Peace of Paris. The British recaptured the island in 1798, during the French Revolutionary Wars. The British and the French tried (and failed) to end hostilities between themselves with the Treaty of Amiens in 1802. Both nations agreed to cede or withdraw from certain territories, with the island of Minorca passing to the Spanish, with whom it has remained since.
The Royal Navy
A small but important Royal Navy Dockyard was established by the British on the north side of the harbour, opposite the town, in 1715. It served as the Royal Navy's principal Mediterranean base for much of the 18th century, and remains in use today as a Spanish Naval station. Several Dockyard buildings, dating from the 1760s, can still be seen on Illa Pinto (formerly known as Saffron Island) including a Naval Storehouse with clock tower. There recently have been moves to establish a maritime museum here. The island has a distinctive octagonal shape, formed when wharves were constructed around it in the 1760s to enable several warships to be careened there all at once.
The ruins of a former Royal Naval Hospital, founded in 1711, stand on another nearby island (Illa del Rei). They recently have been restored.During the Spanish Civil War, the island remained loyal to the Republic, but was captured by the Nationalists in 1939. During the battle to recapture the islands from the republicans, Maó-Mahón was bombed by Italian and Spanish Nationalist bomber planes.
Historic centre of Maó-Mahón
Today it serves as the seat of the Island Council of Minorca (Consell Insular de Menorca).
Towards the end of the 20th century, the renovation of its historic centre was made possible by income from tourism.
A traditional cheese made on the island (Mahón cheese) is named after the city. Some believe that the origin and name of mayonnaise are found in this Minorcan city. In Spanish mahón is also the name of nankeen, especially the blue cloth.
- Menorca (INTERNATIONAL), 3.7 miles
- Palma de Mallorca (INTERNATIONAL), 85.4 miles
*Distances are straight line measurements. This feature is currently in beta.