5 bedroom manor house for sale
Portugal - Funchal, Madeira
like this property?Call: 03339 396426
- 2.200m2 property with mature and meticulously maintained gardens
- Full of charm and elegance
- Peaceful, private and upmarket area
- Walking distance from the hotel area in Ajuda
- Five bedrooms, one of them on the ground floor - handicap friendly
- Ocean, city and mountain views
- Generously sized swimming pool
- Access to "levada" irrigation water
- Licensed for short term holiday rentals
It would be ideal as a full time residence with a privileged position and easy access to the amenities of the city, but is also suitable for, and currently operating as, a holiday rental property.
This manor house impresses with its elegance on first entering the grounds. The pale yellow/cream façade stands out against the stunning colourful gardens and the basalt pebbles of the driveway.
The hall, bright and welcoming, is paved with colourful traditional tiles, contrasting with the wooden doors and the main staircase, which are lacquered in white. A library, on the right hand side, offers a warm and cosy room for winter evenings with its fireplace. The living area is generous in size, featuring hand worked high ceilings in beige and white. Traditional in style, the ample kitchen is located to the west, offering views towards the swimming pool, which can be accessed directly via the breakfast/dining area next to the kitchen. The ground floor also offers a good sized bedroom and a guest WC. This floor is handicap friendly and privileges an indoor/outdoor living style.
The upper level is reserved for the other four bedrooms. Three of them share a private veranda to the south, offering stunning ocean & city views. The master-suite offers a private dressing area and an ensuite bathroom, whilst the other bedrooms all have ensuite bathrooms. This floor also features high ceilings and wooden floors. Most of the original wooden shutters were substituted by aluminium ones, which are much easier to maintain.
The 15m X 9m swimming pool was installed in 1982. The pool is currently not heated, but an adjustment to the solar panel installation could easily facilitate this. A garden storage room and a WC complete the accomodation. The property has access to 'Levada' water for the garden irrigation.
Along the western boundaries of the property various benches invite you to rest under the colourful creepers & the shade of the mature trees and enjoy the lush gardens and open views. The property is licensed as a holiday rental property (AL).
For those considering an investment in a luxury residence as a second (holiday) home or as a retirement destination, consider the advantages of Madeira Island :
• Sub-tropical climate - warm & pleasant year round
• Natural beauty - dramatic scenery, lush & colourful, known as the "Garden of the Atlantic"
• Ease of access - within 3 hours flight time from most European cities, direct flights from over 40 destinations in Europe, daily flights to London and Lisbon
• Protected environment - 70% of the island is protected parkland & forest
• Activities/Amenities - wide range of sports & leisure activities; two Golf courses near to Funchal
• Tourist infrastructure - long known as a quality tourist destination, with lots to see & do• Quality of life - a friendly, safe & clean place to visit and to live in (Note: one of the lowest incidences of crime in Europe)
Legal and fiscal situation
• Property transfer taxes - IMT tax, Stamp duty, reigistration and notary fees - max. 7%
• Inheritance tax - Effective 1st January 2004, inheritance tax abolished in Portugal. There is still a 10% stamp duty charge though on transfer of assets. Gifts/donations to a spouse (husband or wife), children, parents or grandparents are exempt.
• Capital gains tax - Flat 25% tax levy on all capital gains effected by non-residents.
• Portuguese (EU) Residence Permit - Since July 2012, the NON-EU PURCHASER has a right to apply for a Portuguese residence permit (with subsequent freedom of movement in Schengen countries) following purchase of real estate in Portugal with A MINIMUM INVESTMENT OF €500.000
• Non-Habitual Resident's Regime - offering fiscal advantages particularly to non-Portuguese retirees taking up residence in Portugal
- Funchal (INTERNATIONAL), 8.5 miles
*Distances are straight line measurements. This feature is currently in beta.