4 bedroom house for sale
Portugal - Funchal, Madeira
like this property?Call: 03339 396426
- Traditional, comfortable and full of charm, character and history
- Established residential area, close to the city centre, within a walking distance of all facilities
- Completely renovated, faithful the original classic 1940's style, maintaining the stone walls and solid wooden floors throughout
- Generously sized internal areas
- Games room and extensive storage area in the basement with skylights from the patio providing natural light
- Exterior floor with 'calçada portuguesa' (basalt stones and marble drawings)
- Photo-voltaic panels for water heating
- Carport in the rear and plenty of parking space in the driveway
The main entrance door opens up to a spacious hall with a solid wooden floor, which is present in all rooms. Standing in front of an imposing solid wooden staircase, with hand-worked banisters, you are immediately sent back to the XX century. To the left lies the elegant dining area full of exquisite antiques, partially hidden by a wooden and glass door with a modern design, contrasting with the family kitchen which is fully fitted with modern Miele appliances.
Hand-painted white tiles, above the kitchen hob, confirm that the modernization works made were faithful to the original style. The generously sized living area was also extended to contemplate a bright and elegant conservatory, the perfect place for a late afternoon tea. All the original wooden windows and shutters were replaced by aluminium, double glazed ones, which are easier to maintain, whilst keeping the original pistachio colour that characterizes the façade of this particular house. Its imposing stone walls can still be appreciated up close in a cosy living area next to the kitchen.
The formal office, adjacent to the living area, has various antiques that go back to the 40's. A fully fitted bathroom completes the accomodation at this level.
Its simple layout keeps the bedrooms very private at the upper floor. The master bedroom has direct access to a deep balcony with city views. The generously sized master bathroom, full of natural light, still features typical floor tiles from that period, and a majestic bath.
The other bathroom at this level features a handicap friendly walk-in shower, and can be turned into an ensuite with private access from the second bedroom, if necessary. Bedrooms three and four are currently multipurpose, one of them is used as an extensive dressing area.
The west facing balcony on the second floor offers harbour views, and a wonderful view of the sunset over the city, whilst having a late meal. Similar views can be experienced from the roof's balcony, accessed from the open space in the attic, cladded in wood.
The basement area includes a games room with snooker table, with skylights from the patio providing natural light. There also exists a generous storage area.
The exterior paving features 'calçada portuguesa', typical drawings made with small basalt stones contrasting with white pebbles. The property has a carport to the rear, next to the barbecue, but plenty of parking space in the driveway. There is a fully fitted bathroom and a laundry in the rear garden area. Photovoltaic panels provide the water heating
A charming and welcoming property! Please enquire for more details.
For those considering an investment in a luxury residence as a second (holiday) home or as a retirement destination, consider the advantages of Madeira Island :
• Sub-tropical climate - warm & pleasant year round
• Natural beauty - dramatic scenery, lush & colourful, known as the "Garden of the Atlantic"
• Ease of access - within 3 hours flight time from most European cities, direct flights from over 40 destinations in Europe, daily flights to London and Lisbon
• Protected environment - 70% of the island is protected parkland & forest
• Activities/Amenities - wide range of sports & leisure activities; two Golf courses near to Funchal
• Tourist infrastructure - long known as a quality tourist destination, with lots to see & do• Quality of life - a friendly, safe & clean place to visit and to live in (Note: one of the lowest incidences of crime in Europe)
Legal and fiscal situation
• Property transfer taxes - IMT tax, Stamp duty, reigistration and notary fees - max. 7%
• Inheritance tax - Effective 1st January 2004, inheritance tax abolished in Portugal. There is still a 10% stamp duty charge though on transfer of assets. Gifts/donations to a spouse (husband or wife), children, parents or grandparents are exempt.
• Capital gains tax - Flat 25% tax levy on all capital gains effected by non-residents.
• Portuguese (EU) Residence Permit - Since July 2012, the NON-EU PURCHASER has a right to apply for a Portuguese residence permit (with subsequent freedom of movement in Schengen countries) following purchase of real estate in Portugal with A MINIMUM INVESTMENT OF €500.000
• Non-Habitual Resident's Regime - offering fiscal advantages particularly to non-Portuguese retirees taking up residence in Portugal
- Funchal (INTERNATIONAL), 8.5 miles
*Distances are straight line measurements. This feature is currently in beta.