Quarr, Isle of Wight
- STUNNING PERIOD HOME
- SET IN MATURE GROUNDS
- CONVENIENT LOCATION
- WITHIN AN AREA OF OUTSTANDING NATURAL BEAUTY
- MANY CHARACTERFUL FEATURES
Believed to have originated from the late 1700's, the majority of the house was built around 1850 and provides extensive, light accommodation totaling around 6763 square feet with beautifully proportioned rooms. It is alleged that in 1870, the impressive entrance porch was added in preparation for a visit by Queen Victoria. In 1939 the house was requisitioned by the Canadian Army and in the 1950's it was a guest house. The house now provides a wonderful family home within secluded gardens.
Within an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, close to Quarr Abbey this largely wooded coastal area has recently re-emerged as a highly sought-after area for discerning buyers seeking a coastal home, on account of both being quiet yet with excellent access to mainland ferry links. In addition to some substantial period houses, mainly built in Victorian times there have been some high quality new coastal homes built in recent years.
The coastal town of Ryde also provides a range of shops, a marina, Ryde School and a superb sandy beach at Appley.
The Isle of Wight
Situated just off the South Coast, communications are very good with London being accessible within 2 hours. The A3 provides easy access from London to Portsmouth, from where there are a number of car and passenger ferry routes to Ryde and Fishbourne (both about 2.5 miles). Train services lead from Portsmouth Harbour station, from where the catamaran runs direct to Gatwick Airport and London Waterloo.
- Portsmouth to Ryde - a fast catamaran passenger services. Journey time approx. 22 minutes.
- Portsmouth to Fishbourne - a car and passenger service. Journey time approx. 45 minutes.
- Southsea to Ryde - a passenger hovercraft service. Journey time approx. 12 minutes.
The Island benefits from both extensive scenic countryside and coastlines, much of it designated as an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. In addition to being world famous for its sailing and water sports, including the Cowes Week Regatta. The Island provides a wonderful environment for an array of outdoor pursuits including beautiful coastal and country walks, riding and mountain biking with numerous golf courses and renowned shoots. There is also an array of historic and other tourist attractions.
Forming an impressive covered entrance with a series of brick arches and flagstone flooring. A pair of doors open to an Inner Lobby and a further pair of doors open to the:
A stunning entrance to the house with a wide, carved wooden staircase leading to the upper floors and an array of period decorative features.
A beautifully proportioned and elegant room with a wide bay window overlooking the gardens and woodland beyond, with high ceilings with decorative coving. Ornate fireplace, incorporating decorative mirror, with gas fire inset.
A stunning south-facing room with high ceilings and wooden panelling to the lower walls and a decorative side board. Stunning fireplace with carved coat of arms.
Built-in book shelving, window seat overlooking the drive and ornate fireplace.
Fitted with an extensive range of base and wall cupboards with granite work surfaces and a range of integral appliances including a double oven, Neff ceramic hob with extractor over, fridge and dishwasher. Oak flooring and French doors leading to the terrace with views of the garden.
Woodburning stove set in a brick fireplace, exposed beams. Views over the rear garden.
Coat hanging space, WC, wash basin.
Built in cupboards, sink, space for washing machine, dryer and wall-mounted gas-fired boiler. Storage cupboards.
Covered lobby and log store.
Overlooking the rear garden, open brick fireplace.
Coat hooks and access to the driveway. Secondary staircase to first floor.
A dual aspect room, overlooking the gardens with adjacent WC and wash basin.
Extensive split-level landing
A dual aspect room with west facing bay window, incorporating window seat, with wonderful views over the mature grounds.
Fully tiled with a large bath with mixer tap and shower attachment, walk-in shower, wash basin set in a series of cupboards, WC and heated towel rail.
A particularly spacious bedroom with period fireplace and southerly aspect.
Fitted with an extensive range of built-in cupboards.
A large double bedroom with ornate ceiling and wonderful views over the gardens.
Approached from steps accessed from the hallway with wine bins as well as further cellars accessed externally.
The house is approached via a driveway that leads through electric gates leading to a gravelled turning and parking area and a substantial and detached 4 car garage (41'2 x 25'9) which is stone and brick built, incorporating 2 pairs of electrically operated up-and-over doors. External steps leading to extensive, versatile space above with kitchenette and shower room, recently refurbished, an ideal rumpus room, gym office etc.
The principal gardens lie to the rear of the house where there is an extensive stone paved terrace with wide steps leading down to sweeping lawns with a stone wall, beyond which is a further lawned garden bordering mature woodland, (with gated access towards Quarr Road and the coastal path).
The Summer House, situated adjacent to the terrace has a kitchenette, sink, fridge and built-in cupboards and an adjacent WC. French doors opening to the terrace providing a stunning place for entertaining and watching the sunsets.
To the eastern end of the garden is a large detached annex which has recently been refurbished and provides a unusually spacious living room, bedroom and shower room.
In all the property extends for approximately 3.5 acres.
Mains water, electricity and gas. Gas fired central heating. Private drainage. (Mains drainage connection available).
Strictly by prior arrangement with the sole selling agents, Spence Willard.
1. Particulars: These particulars are not an offer or contract, nor part of one. You should not rely on statements by Spence Willard in the particulars or by word of mouth or in writing ("information") as being factually accurate about the property, its condition or its value. Neither Spence Willard nor any joint agent has any authority to make any representations about the property, and accordingly any information given is entirely without responsibility on the part of the agents, seller(s) or lessor(s). 2. Photos etc: The photographs show only certain parts of the property as they appeared at the time they were taken. Areas, measurements and distances given are approximate only. 3. Regulations etc: Any reference to alterations to, or use of, any part of the property does not mean that any necessary planning, building regulations or other consent has been obtained. A buyer or lessee must find out by inspection or in other ways that these matters have been properly dealt with and that all information is correct. 4. VAT: The VAT position relating to the property may change without notice.
Quarr, Isle of Wight
NEAREST STATIONSDistances are straight line measurements from the centre of the postcode
- Ryde Esplanade Station1.6 miles
- Ryde St. Johns Road Station1.7 miles
- Ryde Pier Head Station1.7 miles
About the agent
Spence Willard is a privately owned independent Estate Agency set up in 2012 to offer quality sales and lettings across the Isle of Wight. Our in-depth knowledge of the local property market and unbridled passion for the Isle of Wight enables us to work tirelessly hard to offer a first class service to buyers and sellers.
With our strong emphasis on effective marketing strategies, we utilise national and international links combined with the latest technological innovations, to find the
Stamp Duty calculator
Staying secure when looking for property
Ensure you're up to date with our latest advice on how to avoid fraud or scams when looking for property online.Visit our security centre to find out more
Disclaimer - Property reference 100523007280. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Spence Willard, Cowes. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
* This is the average speed from the provider with the fastest broadband package available on comparethemarket.com at this postcode. The average speed displayed is based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time (8pm to 10pm). Fibre/cable services at the postcode are subject to availability and may differ between properties within a postcode. Speeds can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed at the property may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed and confirm availability to a property prior to purchasing on the broadband provider's website. Providers may increase charges. The information is provided and maintained by Stickee Technology Limited.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.