Dowanhill Street, Dowanhill, Glasgow
- PROPERTY TYPE
All offers to caroline.
This magnificent West End home forms part of an elegant “B” listed red sandstone terrace designed by David Barclay and built between 1898 and 1907. The property falls within the Edwardian era of construction where the architectural detail provides stunning features such as wood panelling, stained/leaded glass and numerous fireplaces.
125 Dowanhill Street is one of the few full townhouses which is laid out over four main floors and has an incredibly versatile internal layout.
Overall, the house has nine main apartments including the garden level which has bedroom six (with en suite), a large utility room and additional storage. This floor is ideal for guests and has undoubted further potential.
The three main floors over ground, first and second offer a formal dining room, a surprisingly large living/dining/kitchen space, a first floor drawing room, five bedrooms and two bathrooms and a further cloaks/WC off the reception hall.
This unique house has a private front garden and a beautifully landscaped garden to the rear which has the particular bonus of direct access from the kitchen via two glazed doors resulting in the garden feeling connected to the house. There is a generous distance from the back of the house to the crescent behind which curves away from the property and gives an unusual amount of open space. Lastly, we would highlight the charming sun room area accessed from the sitting toom.
Located in the extremely convenient and popular Dowanhill area the house is exceptionally well placed for local amenities found on Byres Road together with excellent transport links, access to Glasgow University and also the Botanic Gardens.
• Front entrance vestibule with traditional panelled storm doors.
• Wonderful reception hall which is split level. The lower section has original woodwork and three storage cupboards.
• The upper part of the hall leads to the dining/living/kitchen and has the grand original stairway leading to the first floor landing and there is a beautiful painted glass window beside the back stairway.
• Downstairs WC with stained glass window to the front.
• Formal dining room with four section bow window to the front substantial fireplace within living flame gas fire, ornate cornice and original wood work.
• Butler’s pantry between dining room and kitchen.
• Dining/living/kitchen to the back of the house. Formed from two back rooms and now a delightful and versatile space. Full living room space with unique sun room. The living room is then semi open plan to the large dining kitchen which has two glazed doors directly to the garden (with windows above). The living room also has a focal point fireplace with a living flame gas fire.
• The grand original staircase leads to the first floor landing.
• Elegant drawing room with four section bow window to the front. Focal point fireplace with living flame gas fire. Recently redecorated and this includes a restored wooden floor, ornate cornice.
• Bedroom two with two section window to the rear and focal point fireplace.
• Bedroom three with a further two section window to the rear and again with a focal point fireplace.
• Bedroom four with two section window to the front and fireplace.
• Impressive, fully re-fitted contemporary bathroom with three-piece white suite and mixer shower over the bath.
• The original stairway continues from the first-floor landing to the second floor and there is ten window cupola with ornate cornice.
• Upper landing with continuation of cornice from the cupola.
• Bedroom one with bay dormer window to the front. lovely view to the university spire, focal point fireplace with living flame gas fire.
• Bedroom five with Velux window and built-in storage.
• Family bathroom with three-piece white suite, mixer shower over the bath and six window cupola.
• Fitted dressing room with Velux window and built-in storage.
• The back staircase from the reception hall leads down to the garden level which has tiled lower hall floor and storage off.
• Bedroom six with window to the rear and an en suite shower room. Ther is undoubted potential to make this a self contained area together with the utility (subject to permissions.
• En suite shower room with WC, wash hand basin and “wet room” shower.
• Large utility room with windows to the rear and back door to lower garden area.
• Cellar and further storage off the utility room.
• Gas central heating.
• Split level, private front garden with mature planting and wrought iron railings.
• Beautiful townhouse garden to the rear with access from the kitchen. Thoughtfully designed as a stepped and accessible garden with various sun traps. Large initial recently installed deck/terrace, spiral stair to lower garden area and charming steps from the deck to the upper patio/terrace area.
Council Tax Band: H
EPC Rating: E
Council Tax Band: H
Energy Performance CertificatesA document confirming the energy efficiency rating of the property.Read more about epc in our glossary page.
Council TaxA payment made to your local authority in order to pay for local services like schools, libraries, and refuse collection. The amount you pay depends on the value of the property.Read more about council tax in our glossary page.
Dowanhill Street, Dowanhill, Glasgow
NEAREST STATIONSDistances are straight line measurements from the centre of the postcode
- Hillhead Station0.2 miles
- Kelvinhall Station0.4 miles
- Partick Station0.6 miles
About the agent
Enjoying phenomenal success since opening its doors, the Glasgow West End office has been very well received in the niche market of the West End. The experienced team is led by Managing Partner, Maitland Walker, who has over 30 years' experience in the residential property market and is a leading figure in valuations and sales throughout Glasgow. Jamie Osborne joined the team in October 2014 bringing with him 18 years' of experience and knowledge of the property market, both in and outwith th
Staying secure when looking for property
Ensure you're up to date with our latest advice on how to avoid fraud or scams when looking for property online.Visit our security centre to find out more
Disclaimer - Property reference GWE230711. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Rettie & Co, West End. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
*This is the average speed from the provider with the fastest broadband package available at this postcode. The average speed displayed is based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time (8pm to 10pm). Fibre/cable services at the postcode are subject to availability and may differ between properties within a postcode. Speeds can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed at the property may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed and confirm availability to a property prior to purchasing on the broadband provider's website. Providers may increase charges. The information is provided and maintained by Decision Technologies Limited.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.