Badger Bank, Westow, York, YO60 7LG
- UNIQUE CONTEMPORARY RESIDENCE OCCUPYING A SUPERB 3.5 ACRE SITE
- SELF-SUFFICIENT HOME WITH WIND TURBINE & PV SOLAR PANELS
- UNDERFLOOR HEATING THROUGHOUT & HARDWOOD DOUBLE-GLAZING
- SPLIT-LEVEL FLOOR PLAN WITH HUGE AMOUNTS OF NATURAL LIGHT
- DISCREETLY POSITIONED, ENJOYING DELIGHTFUL VIEWS ACROSS SUPERB GROUNDS & PADDOCK
- ADDITIONAL STONE-BUILT COTTAGE NOW DERELICT & WITH POTENTIAL FOR REDEVELOPMENT
- 1,300 SQ.FT WORKSHOP & AMPLE PARKING
- APPEALING HILLSIDE POSITION BETWEEN WESTOW & KIRKHAM ABBEY
The design of the house is a response to its siting and has an appearance which is at once both traditional and contemporary. Constructed of local limestone under a blue slate roof, the property features a glass atrium to the rear elevation which fills the space with light and allows for uninterrupted views across its grounds and towards Badger Wood.
The project has been something of a labour of love, designed to create a low-impact, sustainable home which takes full advantage of its unique setting. Attention to detail is evident throughout the main house with the use of natural materials such as underfloor heated limestone floors, ash-panelled ceilings, solid ash internal doors and iroko external joinery.
Notable features within the house include heat recovery ventilation, underfloor heating and a central vacuum system. Windows are double-glazed and high levels of insulation have been incorporated within the build, resulting in an 'A' rated EPC. Badger Bank has the unusual advantage of being 'off-grid' having an alternative power source provided by PV solar panels (RHI generating around £1,800 per annum), wind turbine and battery storage.
As its name suggests, Badger Bank occupies a wonderful hillside position, with the 3.5 acre site creating a natural amphitheatre bound by mature, mixed woodland, attracting an abundance of wildlife, with deer regularly seen. There are various garden areas including mature shrubs, specimen trees, vegetable patch, orchard and lawn which blends seamlessly into the pastureland beyond.
In the northern corner of the site is a derelict cottage, constructed of stone under a slate roof. It has been unoccupied for over 15 years and is structurally unstable although may have potential to replace with an alternative dwelling, subject to securing any necessary consents. A 1,300sq.ft timber frame workshop also forms part of the property, and like the house enjoys excellent views.
The property is situated in a lovely rural position in open countryside, accessed off a private right of way between Westow and Kirkham Abbey.
Westow is an attractive conservation village set in pleasant countryside, in an area where the landscape of the Howardian Hills opens out into the rolling hills of the Yorkshire Wolds. The village benefits from a highly regarded pub and restaurant, The Blacksmith's Arms and has a well-supported cricket club. Badger Bank is discreetly positioned around half a mile west of the village, on the road leading to Kirkham with its famous abbey ruins.
The nearby market town of Malton, located some 6 miles north offers a good range of amenities and has, in recent years, gained a reputation as 'Yorkshire's Food Capital' with its high-profile food festivals, farmers market and artisan food producers. Malton railway station offers regular services to York from where London can be reached in less than 2 hours. York is easily accessible via the A64 and is approximately 14 miles south-west.
Badger Bank, Westow, York, YO60 7LG
NEAREST STATIONSDistances are straight line measurements from the centre of the postcode
- Malton Station4.5 miles
About the agent
Well-respected and known throughout the region, Cundalls were established in 1860 and offer a comprehensive professional service in all aspects of property and estate management.
The company combines the benefits of vast local knowledge and strong rural links, with the utilisation of modern working practices and communication methods to provide a broad range of services to clients.
Specialist residential, agricultural, fine art and furniture departments provide locally based servi
Staying secure when looking for property
Ensure you're up to date with our latest advice on how to avoid fraud or scams when looking for property online.Visit our security centre to find out more
Disclaimer - Property reference BADGERBANK. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Cundalls, Malton. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
* Average speeds are based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time (8pm to 10pm) from packages available on comparethemarket.com. Speed can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed to your property prior to purchasing. Fibre/cable services at your postcode are subject to availability. You can confirm availability on the provider's website. Providers may increase charges. You should have the right to exit your contract without penalty if this happens. The information is provided and maintained by Decision Technologies Limited.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.