Sydney Place, Bath
- Hall, Library, Dining room, Kitchen/breakfast room, Cloakroom, Drawing room and Withdrawing room, Sun room, 5 Bedrooms, 3 Bathrooms, 2 Dressing/store rooms, Second kitchen, 2 Studios, (truncated)
- Private walled garden, Courtyards to front and rear. Roof terrace.
Built in 1808 by architect John Pinch the elder as a palace fronted terrace of 11 grand houses originally called New Sydney Place and fronting the beautiful park and open space of Sydney Gardens.
Considered to be amongst the most prestigious of all the later Georgian buildings within the city. Bronze plaques record that Queen Charlotte and King William IV stayed within the terrace. Approached beneath the broad lamp bracket overthrow, the large panelled front door opens into the welcoming hall with its fine cantilevered stone staircase and doors to the library, dining room and kitchen/breakfast room. The quality of the architectural details is greatly enhanced by the unspoilt originality of the house. Fine ceiling mouldings, panelled doors, architraves and chimneypieces are present (illustrated in Walter Ison, 'The Georgian Buildings of Bath' 2nd ed.1980) and further enhanced by the originality of the former service rooms on the lower ground floor.
The elegant rooms provide wonderful family accommodation with the library, dining room and kitchen/breakfast room on the ground floor and the gracious drawing room and withdrawing room on the first floor.
A sun room on the half landing opens onto a roof terrace. The second floor provides two bedrooms and two bathrooms (one ensuite and one off of the half landing). The third floor has three bedrooms, a bathroom a kitchen and two dressing/store rooms providing flexible use. The lower ground floor has three large rooms used as studios and workshops plus former larder and pantry and cupboards. There are courtyards to the front and rear, access to the vaults and external stairs to street level.
The garden is enclosed by stone walls and is accessed from the kitchen/breakfast room and is well stocked with shrubs.
Ideally located at the eastern end of Great Pulteney Street and adjacent to Sydney Gardens and the Holborne Museum to the north and St Mary the Virgin church, Bathwick to the south. Bath has an excellent range of schools with the most notable being Prior Park, Monkton Combe, King Edwards, The Royal High Schools (girls) and Kingswood. Bath Spa station offers mainline railway services to London Paddington and Bristol Temple Meads.
Sydney Place, Bath
NEAREST STATIONSDistances are straight line measurements from the centre of the postcode
- Bath Spa Station0.6 miles
- Oldfield Park Station1.4 miles
- Freshford Station3.7 miles
About the agent
Stamp Duty calculator
Staying secure when looking for property
Ensure you're up to date with our latest advice on how to avoid fraud or scams when looking for property online.Visit our security centre to find out more
Disclaimer - Property reference LON200079. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Strutt & Parker, Bath. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
* This is the average speed from the provider with the fastest broadband package available on comparethemarket.com at this postcode. The average speed displayed is based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time (8pm to 10pm). Fibre/cable services at the postcode are subject to availability and may differ between properties within a postcode. Speeds can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed at the property may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed and confirm availability to a property prior to purchasing on the broadband provider's website. Providers may increase charges. The information is provided and maintained by Stickee Technology Limited.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.