Iden Lock, Iden
- PROPERTY TYPE
- TENUREDescribes how you own a property. There are different types of tenure - freehold, leasehold, and commonhold.Read more about tenure in our glossary page.
- Stone former lock keeper's cottage
- Attractive period features
- Adjoining the Royal Military Canal
- Rye town centre 2.6 miles
- Mainline station 3.5 miles
- Wall enclosed garden
- Useful outbuildings and studio
**Guide Price £795,000 - £850,000** Lock Cottage is situated on the Military Canal beside Iden Lock. Built of stone in 1824 the house was used as the officer’s quarters. The last barge passed through the lock in 1909, recorded by Spencer Catt lock keeper since 1890 and he was the great-great-great grandfather of the present owner.
There are many appealing features including six-panelled doors with decorative architraves, exposed floorboards, stone and brickwork, with a mixture of sash and casement windows with excellent ceiling heights throughout.
The main features of the property include:
• Original front door with storm porch to the entrance hall.
• Sitting room with oak floorboards, part brick and stone walls with large atrium. Door to outside.
• Dining room with brick fireplace with shelving to the side, quarry tiled floor. Lovely double aspect room with outlook over the garden and lock.
• Kitchen with quarry tiled floor, deep glazed butler sink with drainer to the side, range of work surfaces, cupboards and drawers beneath. Zanussi cooker with 4-ring hob and two ovens with grill below, extractor fan above. Eye-level cupboards, plumbing for washing machine and space for fridge freezer.
• Bedroom 1, which could also be used as a reception room, has varnished exposed floorboards, a fireplace with pine mantelpiece and surround, inset wood burning stove, cupboards to the side with shelving above, outlook over the garden.
• Bedroom 2 has a fireplace with duck’s nest grate and wooden mantelpiece, cupboards to either side and an outlook over the front garden.
• Bedroom 3 is a single room with an attractive ornamental fireplace.
• The bathroom has a bath with shower above, pedestal wash basin and WC, together with the oil-fired boiler.
Lock Cottage is approached from the road initially over a shared driveway and then onto its own private driveway which culminates in a parking area for a number of cars to the front of the house.
There are level areas of lawn, wall enclosed, and to the west is the lock which is protected by post and rail fencing with stock netting. Adjoining the lock is an area of decking from where wonderful views are enjoyed down the Military Canal.
There is a timber garage 15’7 x 13’11 with up and over door and a further timber storage barn 15’7 x 13’2.
A gateway leads through to an additional section of garden where there is a timber garden shed, static mobile home and a studio (18’9 x 12’10) of timber construction, fitted with a stainless steel sink unit with drainer to the side, work surfaces, mezzanine area, and with a large verandah to the front. Brick outside privy. This area of garden has a separate vehicular access onto the road.
Gardens and grounds - in all about 0.36 of an acre.
The Royal Military Canal stretches for 28 miles hugging the old cliff line that borders the Romney Marsh from Hythe in the northeast to Cliff End in the Southwest.
It was built as a third line of defence against Napoleon, after the British Royal Navy patrolling the English Channel and the line of 74 Martello Towers built along the South coast. The Royal Military Canal was constructed in two sections. The longest section starts at Hythe in Kent and ends at Iden Lock in East Sussex. The second smaller section runs from the foot of Winchelsea Hill to Cliff End. Both sections are linked by the Rivers Rother and Brede.
Energy Performance CertificatesA document confirming the energy efficiency rating of the property.Read more about epc in our glossary page.
Council TaxA payment made to your local authority in order to pay for local services like schools, libraries, and refuse collection. The amount you pay depends on the value of the property.Read more about council tax in our glossary page.
Iden Lock, Iden
NEAREST STATIONSDistances are straight line measurements from the centre of the postcode
- Rye Station2.7 miles
- Appledore Station4.1 miles
- Winchelsea Station4.4 miles
About the agent
Batcheller Monkhouse is well known as the leading Estate and Letting Agents across the South East. With four offices covering Kent, East Sussex, West Sussex and Hampshire, no one knows the local property market better than us.
With a rich history, exceptional local knowledge and international reach, our teams can champion your property, promote its location and communicate its unique appeal. Whilst we remain focused on the bigger picture, we also pay attention to the finer details.<
Stamp Duty calculator
Staying secure when looking for property
Ensure you're up to date with our latest advice on how to avoid fraud or scams when looking for property online.Visit our security centre to find out more
Disclaimer - Property reference BAT230219. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Batcheller Monkhouse, Battle. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
*This is the average speed from the provider with the fastest broadband package available at this postcode. The average speed displayed is based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time (8pm to 10pm). Fibre/cable services at the postcode are subject to availability and may differ between properties within a postcode. Speeds can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed at the property may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed and confirm availability to a property prior to purchasing on the broadband provider's website. Providers may increase charges. The information is provided and maintained by Decision Technologies Limited.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.