Knightrider Street, Sandwich
- Grade I Listed Queen Anne Style Country Mansion Designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens
- Main House: 8 Bedrooms | 7 Receptions | 8 Bathrooms
- Detached House: 4 Bedrooms | 2 Receptions | 3 Bathrooms
- Cottage: 3 Bedrooms | 1 Reception | 1 Bathroom
- Coach House: 2 Bedrooms | 1 Reception | 2 Bathrooms
- Gift Shop and Tea Room
- 3.5 Acres (tbv) of Mostly Walled Gardens
- Potential for Continued use as Boutique Hotel or as Commutable Private Home (stp)
- 900m Walk to Station with Journey Times to London St Pancras in as little as 1hr 31mins
- Situated in the Heart of this Medieval Town just 3km from the Beautiful Kent Coast
Sandwich is an ancient Cinque Port with a labyrinth of streets steeped in history. A plethora of historic churches, houses, and pubs dating back as far as the 12th Century make it an intriguing tourist destination. Sandwich also offers a number of links golf courses, the most notable being Royal St George’s where the 149th Open Championship will be held in July 2021. As well as being located on the rail line between Ramsgate and Folkestone, the town also hosts a Marina on the banks of the River Stour.
The Salutation lies inside the town wall called The Butts, which were constructed in 1384 as the town defences and were used for archery practice at that time. On the East side of the property is located St Clements Church which is Saxon in origin. It was rebuilt by the Normans, and it is that fine tower that can be admired from the East terrace of the main house.
Another prominent and unique feature of Sandwich is the Delf Stream which are medieval man-made channels from the 13th Century to supply water throughout the town. They were greatly improved by Dutch engineers in 15th century adding new cuts and sluices so fields could be irrigated which had continued use to 1899. The streams now flow underground alongside 15th Century houses making an interesting feature.
Commuters will enjoy the short 900m walk through the town to Sandwich train station which offers journey times to London St Pancras in as little as 1hr 31minutes.
Sandwich Junior School is 1200m walking distance away and was rated outstanding by Ofsted in the latest inspection and the mixed Sir Roger Manwood Grammar School is just 550m away and was also given an outstanding rating by Ofsted at last inspection.
There are numerous scenic walks from the property that link to the England Coast Path around 3km away which are perfect for a weekend walk along the beach to the nearby Historic Town of Deal.
Approached through the original town wall via Lutyens' cleverly designed archway with wide gates, Knightrider House is an original Queen Anne property. This too has been uniquely and skilfully designed to provide generous secondary accommodation. Comprising of a sitting room, dining room, well fitted kitchen, cloakroom, two bedrooms and two bathrooms at first floor level and two further bedrooms with a third bathroom on the second floor.
Gardeners Cottage and Coach House
To the opposite corner of the courtyard is a pair of cottages. Gardeners Cottage has an open plan kitchen-dining room, a sitting room on the ground floor and three bedrooms and a bathroom on the first floor. The Coach House has a kitchen on the ground floor and sitting room, two bedrooms, two bathrooms and a cloakroom on the first floor. A double garage and a gift shop are found in this building underneath the Coach House. These additional buildings would be ideal for staff or live-in family members wanting some independence.
The Tea Room
This building is set beside the entrance gates and has a tea room on the ground floor and kitchen above.
The property and the surrounding area were affected by a major flood in 2013 caused by a tidal surge. The area has since benefitted from £23.5 million spent on flood defence improvements, improving the protection from one in-20 chance of tidal flooding each year to one-in-200 standard of protection. All of The Salutations' buildings are now in the environment agency's lowest flood category Flood Zone 1 i.e low probability of flooding.
BrochuresKnightrider Street, Sandwich
Knightrider Street, Sandwich
NEAREST STATIONSDistances are straight line measurements from the centre of the postcode
- Sandwich Station0.3 miles
- Minster Station4.0 miles
- Deal Station4.3 miles
About the agent
Rafferty & Pickard is a Kent based estate agency specialising in the sale of extraordinary homes, seamlessly blending cutting edge technology with a concierge style service.
We showcase our properties with cinematic videos and captivating photos to truly capture your home's amazing features.
We put you, the client, at the heart of everything we do.
Stamp Duty calculator
Staying secure when looking for property
Ensure you're up to date with our latest advice on how to avoid fraud or scams when looking for property online.Visit our security centre to find out more
Disclaimer - Property reference 30355786. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Rafferty & Pickard, Aylesford. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
* Average speeds are based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time (8pm to 10pm) from packages available on comparethemarket.com. Speed can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed to your property prior to purchasing. Fibre/cable services at your postcode are subject to availability. You can confirm availability on the provider's website. Providers may increase charges. You should have the right to exit your contract without penalty if this happens. The information is provided and maintained by Decision Technologies Limited.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.