Southwell Road, London, SE5
- A sensational warehouse built in 1906 which was used as the headquarters for theatre impresario Fred Karno
- A large roof terrace with wonderful views across South London
- There are two living areas and bespoke kitchens
- Situated on a quiet residential road North West of Ruskin Park and within easy reach of Camberwell and Brixton
- The area is well known for its endless selection of excellent restaurants
- EPC Rating = D
The current owners have created a superb home with flexible live/work balance over four floors with high volume and industrial scale rooms throughout the building.
Originally built in 1906 for theatre impresario Fred Karno 36 Southwell Road was the headquarters for his music hall troupe which included Charlie Chaplin and his under study Stan Laurel. At the time the building was filled with huge theatre sets and then redesigned for residential living by the architect Yvonne Dean.
The ground and first floor are currently used by the artist owner with five metre high ceilings with incredible light flooding in through galvanised steel windows and doors with access to a large roof terrace. These floors are ideal as a studio and gallery styled work space.
On the second floor there are two double bedrooms with painted brick walls and bamboo flooring. There is a family bathroom and a separate shower room. From here there is a French oak staircase leading up to the third floor which is arranged as open planned living space with an incredible vaulted ceiling with exposed beams cleverly illuminated with dramatic effect.
There are two living areas and a bespoke hand built kitchen with concrete work tops and concrete floors.
Underfloor heating extends across the two upper floors and there is air conditioning throughout the building.
Each floor is also accessed via a lift.
The house sits in a quiet residential road North West of Ruskin Park and within easy reach of Camberwell and Brixton.
The area is well known for numerous excellent restaurants.
There are several excellent state and public schools in the area, including Dulwich College, James Allen’s Girls’ School, Alleyn’s School, The Villa Pre-Prep and Nursery, and Dog Kennel Hill Primary School.
Loughborough Junction is nearby for Thameslink services into Elephant & Castle, Blackfriars, Farringon and St Pancras International.
Denmark Hill station is a short walk away, running direct rail services to Victoria, Blackfriars and St Pancras International, and Overground services to Clapham Junction or Dalston Junction via Canada Water (Jubilee Line).
Square Footage: 6,300 sq ft
Energy Performance CertificatesEPC Rating Graph
Southwell Road, London, SE5
NEAREST STATIONSDistances are straight line measurements from the centre of the postcode
- Loughborough Junction Station0.2 miles
- Denmark Hill Station0.4 miles
- Brixton Station0.7 miles
About the agent
Leading Property Consultants
Expansive Property Website
Over 100 UK Offices
Over 30 London Offices
Leaders in Research
Mortgages & Finance services
Founded in 1855, Savills is a leading global estate agency with over 130 locations around the UK including 37 offices in London.
Whether buying, selling, letting or renting a property, our experienced estate agents take the time to understand your property needs and guide you through every step
Staying secure when looking for property
Ensure you're up to date with our latest advice on how to avoid fraud or scams when looking for property online.Visit our security centre to find out more
Disclaimer - Property reference CLI200641. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Savills, Clapham. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
* Average speeds are based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time (8pm to 10pm) from packages available on comparethemarket.com. Speed can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed to your property prior to purchasing. Fibre/cable services at your postcode are subject to availability. You can confirm availability on the provider's website. Providers may increase charges. You should have the right to exit your contract without penalty if this happens. The information is provided and maintained by Decision Technologies Limited.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.