3 bedroom detached house for saleCoalport Bridge Toll House, Coalport, Telford, Shropshire
- Reception hall/Dining room
- Excellent fitted kitchen
- Shower Room
- Study/bedroom 3
- Exquisite exposed beamed lounge
- 2 upstairs bedrooms, bathroom, boiler room
- Views overlooking river
- Summer House, paved sun terrace
- Detached garage and ample parking
- Gas CH, partial double glazing
A unique, detached Grade II Listed former Toll House brimming with many features, south facing overlooking the River Severn
A charming detached Grade II Listed former Toll House, refurbished to a superior standard in an unrivalled and pretty setting within the picturesque Severn Valley. Steeped in history and offering a wealth of character throughout.
The property is well presented and its layout provides a good flow of rooms with exceptional views. Externally, there is ample car parking in addition to the detached garage, paved patios and landscaped south facing terraced gardens running down to the banks of the River Severn with benefit of fishing rights.
The original bridge at Coalport was known as Preens Eddy Bridge and was of timber construction built around 1780, designed by William Hayward and constructed by Robert Palmer, the bridge opened in 1780. By 1810 Coalport had an enclosed basin to accommodate up to 60 tub boats, with the canal connected to the Hay inclined plain enabling transport of materials down the steeply sloping Severn Valley.
By 1820, the now famous porcelain manufacturing industry in Coalport employed over 400 people.
The Toll House was originally built for use as a warehouse between 1793 and 1808, in use as a house by 1815 and as a Toll House from 1818. It was freed from tolls in 1922, however, it is believed that after cessation of tolls , the retired toll keeper, a Mr Green and then his indomitable daughter, protected the preserved bridge by dissuading drivers of heavy vehicles from crossing.
In 1994 the ownership of the Toll House passed to the Buildings At Risk Trust who secure the preservation of historical buildings.
DirectionsFrom Ironbridge, follow Waterloo Street, towards Broseley. Left before the "new" bridge, follow the riverside road. At junction, turn right, pass first the Shakespeare Inn on the left hand side, then after 1/2 a mile, the Brewery Inn on the right, immediately after which, turn right through a gated access signposted 'To Coalport Bridge Toll House'. Follow the lane straight on under the road, where the property can be found on the right hand side.
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26765021.html
Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) graphs
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference 945445. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Nock Deighton, Ironbridge. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
* Average speeds are based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time (8pm to 10pm) from packages available on comparethemarket.com. Speed can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed to your property prior to purchasing. Fibre/cable services at your postcode are subject to availability. You can confirm availability on the provider's website. Providers may increase charges. You should have the right to exit your contract without penalty if this happens. The information is provided and maintained by Decision Technologies Limited.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.