9 bedroom detached house for saleStracathro Mansion House, Stracathro, Brechin, Angus
Offers in Excess of
Stracathro is an exceptional pocket estate, which has the attributes that any discerning purchaser will seek notably location, privacy, outlook and cachet.
For sale as a whole or in 3 lots.
The estate comprises a grand mansion house, a superb coach house, a row of 6 terraced cottages, an arboretum, ponds, landscaped and wooded policies.
Stracathro has been sensitively developed and loved as a mini estate. The view has been enhanced by the creation of two ponds to the south. The policies are host to an abundance of wildlife. The house is screened by policy woodland and being on the crest of a ridge has a commanding outlook to the Angus Glens to the north.
Lot 1: Stracathro Mansion House
Offers over £1,100,000
Stracathro Mansion House is a fine A listed Palladian style mansion that is comfortable, elegant and desirable, laid out over three floors and extending to over 2,632m2 (28,331sqft). Set in 8 acres of immediate policies and gardens.
Stracathro House is approached through an electric entrance gate and along a tarred drive which culminates in a parking area at the front of the house. Magnificent Corinthian columns support the entrance portico and stone steps lead to glazed entrance doors. Decorative period features adorn the house with the overall effect being one of opulence and grandeur.
The entrance hall has considerable impact with a striking black and white marble floor, marble Corinthian columns and a beautiful decorative atrium with yellow scagliola walls.
The three principal reception rooms flow along the northerly aspect and are connected by magnificent double doors. Each of the reception rooms are highly decorative and have floor to ceiling sash and case windows overlooking the terrace. French doors from the sitting room lead to the terrace, which has a stone balustrade. Numerous period features adorn each room including open fires with beautiful carved ornate marble mantelpieces, moulded ceilings and parquet flooring. Particular features of note are the ornate carved white marble mantelpiece in the drawing room with its large mirror above, original leather wallpaper in the dining room and the beautiful chandeliers in the dining room and sitting room.
At the front of the property, to the south west off the hall is an atmospheric library with mahogany bookcases, marble fireplace, painted freeze and ceiling, to the south east off the hall an elegant studio gallery. To the west of the reception hall is the Pompeian red staircase with ornate gold painted cast iron spindles and frescos of tropical birds. The red hall leads to the 2 connecting kitchen areas, the breakfast room and boudoir. The boudoir, off the south side of the drawing room, has a coffered quadripartite vault, beautifully painted with birds and intricate foliage.
To the south east of the reception hall, a passage leads to the morning room with a dual south easterly aspect. There is also access to the gallery, butler's pantry, bathroom and laundry in this area of the house adjacent to the east staircase.
There are 2 single storey wings to the east and west. The west wing houses the impressive orangery with terracotta and black floor tiles, cast iron roof supports and large oriel window on the gable end. The orangery would make the most breath taking kitchen, with its double doors access to the Italianate courtyard garden. The east wing comprises a billiard room (artist's studio), an office, store and WC.
On the first floor, bedrooms and bathrooms lead from two hallways that are connected by the red staircase and the east staircase. The master suite is accessed along the 'long blue vaulted hallway' towards the south east corner of the first floor level and has wonderful south and easterly views. The dual aspect master bedroom with dressing room (currently a gym) has plumbing for ensuite facilities. Along the southerly hall are 4 bedrooms, each with wash hand basins and potential to create ensuites. Along the northerly hall there are 4 further bedrooms; one with a connecting dressing room and one with a connecting study.
The second floor, to be refurbished, has 6 further bedrooms, a bathroom and a separate WC.
There are a significant number of rooms in the lower ground floor including the former kitchens, wine cellars, former larders, servants' quarters, dining hall etc. The trade entrance leads to a 6 bay fluted and covered Corinthian colonnade.
EPC Rating E
Lot 2 Stracathro Mansion House Cottages
Offers over £395,000
A terrace of 6 single storey dwelling houses constructed in the 1950s and extended in the 1970s.
The properties are located within the policy grounds of Stracathro Mansion house and have their own exclusive access and parking. Built of harled brick, the cottages have been internally refurbished over the last 5 years and are now fully equipped and furnished for a variety of purposes including: short term lease, accommodation for staff, overspill accommodation for the main house or for holiday lets.
Each cottage has a fenced and private front and back garden. There is a connecting door between numbers 1 and 2. Four of the cottages are currently let under short assured tenancies, vacant possession is possible at the end of December 2013.
EPC Ratings G
Lot 3 The Coach House
Offers over £185,000
Please note: The Coach House will only be sold separately if the buyer of Lot 1 does not wish to include it with their purchase. Therefore at this stage we are not making viewing appointments solely for this lot.
To the north east of the main house and separated from the main house by a minor road, is a magnificent A listed coach house. The coach house is in a private elevated position overlooking the Cruick Water to the north. The building would make a wonderful residential property and the seller has plans drawn for an impressive conversion. There are 2 grooms' flats and a gardener's cottage within the coach house, though currently uninhabitable.
There is a pavilion stable, a game larder and kennels in the immediate vicinity of the coach house, and a small hydro pump house on the river bank, all are stone built.
There are 250m of Cruick riverbank included in lot 3.
To the south of the Coach House is a beautiful arboretum and adjacent ponds which provide great amenity. There is a B listed three span cast iron foot bridge across one of the ponds.
In 1775 the Stracathro Estate which extended to almost 2,000 acres was bought by Patrick Cruikshank, who had made his fortune in Jamaica. The adjacent river is now called The Cruick in lasting memory of the house founder. His brother Alexander inherited the property and employed the Aberdeen based architect Archibald Simpson (1790-1847) to build the house between 1824 - 27, together with a deer park and gardens. In 1874, the house and estate was purchase by Sir James Campbell (1790-1876), Lord Provost of Glasgow and father of Prime Minister Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman (1836-1908). The house was leased by the government in 1938 and an Emergency Medical Services Hospital built in the grounds to cope with military and civilian casualties of World War II. The house was used as a residence for doctors and nurses and later purchased by the local authority. Stracathro House reverted to private ownership following its sale by Tayside Health Board in 2003. The property has been sensitively refurbished as a family home over the last 10 years.
Stracathro House is conveniently located for the principal Angus towns and lies in the fertile Vale of Strathmore. The A90 dual carriageway which provides easy travelling north to Aberdeen and south to Dundee is about 1 mile.
The house is 2 miles southeast of the small, picturesque village of Edzell, with a collection of shops, a garage, a church, a primary school, a health centre and a range of accommodation including 2 hotels. From the south the village is entered through the Dalhousie Arch dating from 1887. Nearby is Edzell Castle which dates from 1100 and is in an attractive ruinous state, with a fine golf course adjacent.
The cathedral city of Brechin and the town of Montrose provide basic shopping facilities and primary and secondary education. Private schooling is available at Dundee High School and Lathallan with Aberdeen offering further options. The nearest railway stations are at Laurencekirk and Montrose, offering east coast mainline services.
The counties of Angus and Aberdeenshire boast a picturesque mix of dramatic coastlines, fertile farmland, glorious heather glens and attractive rivers. The area is well known for its array of outdoor sporting pursuits. The Angus Glens, which form the foothills of the Grampian Mountains, offer fine hillwalking opportunities. Salmon fishing can be taken on the North and South Esks which runs through the valley of Glen Esk, over "The Loups" (the dramatic gorges at Edzell) towards the Montrose basin, whilst the River Dee is situated over the B979 Cairn o'Mount road. There are several golf courses nearby including Edzell, Brechin and the championship courses at Carnoustie, St Andrews and Gleneagles.
More comprehensive facilities are available at Aberdeen the "Oil Capital of Europe" and Dundee both of which provide all the recreational, entertainment, educational and cultural facilities one would expect of large cities. Both cities have an international airport with an ever increasing range of domestic and European flights.
Lot 1 Gardens and Grounds
Stracathro is positioned amidst wonderful mature policies, which are divided into established woodland, designed landscaped garden and formal lawns. Mature trees including beech, ash, spruce, holly and laurel surround the property providing privacy.
In the gardens there are many specimen trees including over 20 Wellingtonia (giant sequoia), a number of Douglas fir, many Copper beech, Oak, Chestnut and Irish Yew specimens, including an ancient and a magnificent Cedar of Lebanon, centred in the arboretum.
Around the house are extensive flagged rusticated terraces with low sandstone balustrade walls and pillars. The Italianate terrace outside the orangery, which can be admired from the kitchen and breakfast room has a beautiful working fountain.
To the south is an area of land extending to approximately 4 acres that has recently been developed into two ponds making for a lovely outlook from the mansion house. The ponds are a haven for an abundance of wildlife.
The northern boundary of the house includes 60m of the Cruick riverbank.
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-44001943.html
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference BAN130030. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Strutt & Parker, Banchory. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
* Average speeds are based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time (8pm to 10pm) from packages available on comparethemarket.com. Speed can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed to your property prior to purchasing. Fibre/cable services at your postcode are subject to availability. You can confirm availability on the provider's website. Providers may increase charges. You should have the right to exit your contract without penalty if this happens. The information is provided and maintained by Decision Technologies Limited.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.