9 bedroom detached house for saleKirby Knowle Castle, North Yorkshire, YO7
- CLICK ON THE VIRTUAL TOUR FOR A SUPERB FLY BY
- Grade II Georgian Mansion built around remains of a Medieval Castle
- 39 Acres (approx)
- Spectacular, far-reaching views
- 9 bedrooms
- Separate 3 bedroom detached cottage
- Self-contained 1 bedroom staff flat
- Impressive formal gardens
- 2.25 hrs to London Kings Cross from Thirsk station, only 5.9 miles away.
- 45 min drive to Harrogate and York
KIRBY KNOWLE CASTLE AND COUNTRY ESTATE
Kirby Knowle Castle stands on high ground situated on the edge of the Howardian Hills, in an exceptionally beautiful yet convenient location.
This historic property (Grade II listed) is a magnificent Georgian Mansion built around the remains of a Medieval Castle which was originally built by Sir Roger de Lascelles in the late 13th century.
The Castle commands some of the most spectacular views in the County overlooking Sutton Bank and the whole of the Vale of York.
Once the home of the Earl of Northumberland, the Castle is a substantial building with large bedrooms, impressive entertaining rooms, formal gardens and extensive grounds, capable of supporting a rough shoot..
".....This fairytale Castle which is steeped in history, must surely be the 'jewel in the crown' in Yorkshires` Golden Triangle....."
The Castle (approx 12000ft)
The main rooms include: entrance porch and hallway, garden room (with French doors to the terrace), drawing room, family room, vaulted dining room. There are two kitchens (each with a 4 oven Aga), pantry, washroom, study, five first floor bedrooms (four en-suite), three second floor bedrooms, large ante-room, games room and several other rooms. In the basement there is a large cellar complex and garaging. There is also a self contained apartment with kitchen, sitting room, bedroom and bathroom.
The basement has excellent potenital to create a superb leisure complex including a swimming pool etc, subject to the usual planning and listing permissions.
The Cottage has a kitchen, three reception rooms, three bedrooms, two bathrooms and a conservatory.
Gardens and grounds (approx 37acres)
A long private driveway through private land brings you into to a substantial courtyard.
(There is a right of way for a neighbouring property to use a part of the driveway but not near the main residence )
There are very impressive formal gardens including a large south-facing terrace. The rest of the land is parkland, woodland and paddocks. There is a large formal pond with a fountain, a stable block, large wood store and several other outbuildings.
The castle is only 5 minutes from the A19 making Leeds, York, Harrogate and Teeside all commutable in approx 45 minutes.
Thirsk station is approx 5.9 miles from the property and with a direct train, the journey time to London Kings Cross is approximately 2.25 hours.
The Carpenters Arms in the next village of Felixkirk has a good reputation for its culinary delights and the panoramic views from its splendid dining room.
Prestigious Schools include
The Mount (York)
Cundall Manor (Asenby)
Queen Marys (Topcliffe)
Queen Ethelburga's (Thorpe Underwood)
Ampleforth College (Ampleforth)
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-45639889.html
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference kirby1. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Office Privee Real Estate, London. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
* Average speeds are based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time (8pm to 10pm) from packages available on comparethemarket.com. Speed can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed to your property prior to purchasing. Fibre/cable services at your postcode are subject to availability. You can confirm availability on the provider's website. Providers may increase charges. You should have the right to exit your contract without penalty if this happens. The information is provided and maintained by Decision Technologies Limited.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.