8 bedroom detached house for saleLangworthy Lane, Holyport, Berkshire
- Galleried reception hall, Drawing room, Dining room, Library, Billiard/sitting room, Staircase hall,
- Kitchen/breakfast room, Study, Conservatory, Utility room, Cloakroom
- 1st floor: Master bedroom suite with 2 bedrooms, ensuite bathroom and 2 dressing rooms,
- 5 Further bedrooms and 4 bathrooms (two ensuite), Office/bedroom, Laundry room, Ironing room
- 2nd floor: Bedroom with en suite shower room and attic room
- 2 Bedroom lodge cottage, 2 Bedroom staff/guest cottage
- Indoor swimming pool complex, Wine store, 4 Car garage, Garden machinery store
- Stable block, Flood lit manège, 1km horse exercise track
- Beautiful formal gardens with lake, Orchard, Paddock land, Woodland
- In all about 20.75 acres
John Gays House is an important Grade II listed manor house, dating from the Tudor period, with later Queen Anne, Georgian and Victorian additions. The house is predominantly built of red brick elevations with attractive sash fenestration, under a tile roof, and has many historical character features.
A splendid pedimented porch, supported by doric columns, creates an impressive entrance to the house. The galleried entrance hall, which forms the heart of the house, has beautiful marble flooring, Brazilian mahogany panelled walls
and ancient oak beams. This, and the neighbouring panelled west hall, with its sweeping staircase, provides access to the well-proportioned reception rooms.
The reception rooms boast delicate ornate cornicing and plaster work, wood panelled walls, handsome fireplaces and full height sash windows, all of which create particularly elegant and bright interiors, ideal for entertaining. Of particular note is the beautiful ceiling painting and patterned oak flooring in the dining room and the window shutters in the library.
A fine conservatory leads out onto a pretty courtyard garden with fountain and there is a fully fitted kitchen/breakfast room with direct access to the gardens beyond.
On the first floor is a light and spacious master bedroom suite with 2 bedrooms, bathroom and 2 dressing rooms. 5 Further bedrooms (2 guest suites), 2 family bath/shower rooms, ironing room and a laundry room make up the remainder of the first floor. accommodation. On the second floor there is a further bedroom with en suite shower room and an attic room. Many of the bedrooms have handsomely decorated interiors and the vaulted ceiling in the north east bedroom, part of the master suite, is of special note.
John Gays House occupies an idyllic and private setting on the edge of the popular and historic village of Holyport, with its attractive village green, conveniently located shops and public houses. Holyport itself provides local amenities for everyday needs with a wider range of shops, restaurants and recreational facilities being found in Windsor, Eton, Maidenhead, Reading and Henley-on-Thames.
An excellent train service runs from both Maidenhead to London Paddington (from around 25 minutes) and Windsor to London Waterloo (from around 56 minutes). There is also the planned cross rail station being constructed in Maidenhead
for 2019. Junction 8/9 of the M4 is 2 miles from the property, providing access to the M25 and national motorway network. Heathrow airport is 15 miles away and Gatwick airport is equally accessible via the M4 and M25 motorways.
There is a good selection of independent and state schools in the area including: Papplewick, Sunningdale, Ludgrove, St Marys and St Georges in Ascot, Eton, Royal Holloway, The Marist, Windsor Boys School, Brigidine and the American
Community School in Egham.
Golf courses can be found Wentworth, Temple, Maidenhead, Marlow, Harleyford, The Royal Berkshire, Hawthorn Hill and Sunningdale. Holyport is home to one of Englands few Real Tennis Clubs and polo available at both Guards Polo Club at Ascot and the Royal Berkshire Polo Club. There is horse racing at Ascot, Sandown and Kempton.
The mature gardens are well laid out with large lawned areas as well as courtyard gardens closer to the house. The grounds are interspersed with herbaceous borders, ornate hedging and prominent mature trees. There is also an automatic irrigation system throughout the gardens.
The gravelled drive leads from the entrance gates to a sweeping turning circle at the front of the
house with parterre box hedging and a pond with fountains. Adjacent to the house is a beautiful
lake with an adjoining wooded walk. On the opposite side of the drive there is an orchard with an array of pear and apple trees. To the south of the house and gardens are the stables, manège
and paddock land, with a 1km long sand and rubber chip horse exercise track circling it.
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52921414.html
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference LON150115. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Strutt & Parker, National Country House Department. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
* Average speeds are based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time (8pm to 10pm) from packages available on comparethemarket.com. Speed can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed to your property prior to purchasing. Fibre/cable services at your postcode are subject to availability. You can confirm availability on the provider's website. Providers may increase charges. You should have the right to exit your contract without penalty if this happens. The information is provided and maintained by Decision Technologies Limited.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.