27 bedroom detached house for saleThe Village, Burton, Neston
Lot 1: Burton Manor - Colured pink on plan
The original Burton Hall was designed and built c.1805 for Richard Congreave and was remodelled in 1904 by Sir Charles Nicholson for Henry Neville Gladstone, who was the third son of W E
Gladstone the Liberal Prime Minister. The house remained in the ownership of the Gladstone family for about twenty years and in 1948 was converted to a residential adult education centre. The college closed in 2010 since when the house has remained empty. The gardens, which are also listed, were designed in 1906.
Within the grounds are two modern accommodation blocks. The remainder of the buildings are currently occupied as a library,
workshops, coffee shop and garaging. There is also a superb walled garden occupied and managed by the Friends of Burton Manor Gardens Limited.
The house is of ashlar and hammer dressed red sandstone with hipped and sprocketed roof of green slate with tall ornate stacks of stone and brick. The accommodation is arranged over three floors. On the ground floor is a central entrance hall with oak block floor, walnut veneered panel doors and a line of three centre piers which support semi-circular arches with fine motif archivolts. Off the entrance hall are male and female WC's, billiard room, library, studio drawing room, music room which leads through to the dining room with a bar area and access
to a commercial kitchen, off which is the orangery. The ground floor also has a number of storage rooms, a secondary kitchen, laundry room, courtyard and the formal fountain court with a
chequered floor of black and white marble tiles, windows to three sides and a pergola structure.
On the first floor are approximately 20 rooms each with access to a number of WC's, shower rooms and bathrooms. The second floor roof space extends over a large area of the first floor, however, a large area of this space is inaccessible or unusable due to restricted head room. The property has two small basements, the first being the boiler room and the second comprising an archive room and games room.
This is situated to the front of Burton Manor forming one side of an open courtyard garden. The accommodation has been used to provide eight self-contained bedroom suites and a two bedroom caretaker's cottage with living room, kitchen and bathroom. Estimated gross internal floor area about 2,380sq.ft (221sq.m).
A modern building built in 1971 designed as student accommodation providing about 24 bedrooms, bathrooms, 16 shower rooms (15 ensuite). Estimated gross internal floor area about 2,765sq.ft (257sq.m)
Up until closure, Burton Manor and the accommodation buildings were used as a residential and education centre. Our clients
have had informal discussions with the Local Authority Planning Department who have indicated potential alternative uses such as restaurant/hotel; conversions for residential, offices or student
accommodation might be considered, subject to a planning application. The site is within the Burton Conservation Area and the Green Belt; and new development would be subject to Green Belt policy. Intending purchasers should make their own enquiries with Cheshire West and Chester Council (Development Management) telephone 0300 123 7027.
There are a number of tree preservation orders in the site.
Various buildings, including Burton Manor, are Listed Grade II, as being of special architectural or historic interest. These include:
Burton Manor and Orangery.
The Former Coach House.
Front Boundary Wall, Gate Piers and Library.
Ice House which is also a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
The property is offered for sale freehold with vacant possession other than the walled garden, Atelier Studios and workshops as detailed above.
Burton Manor is situated in a prominent location within the village of Burton, backing onto farmland. The property is about 9 miles from Chester which has a good range of shopping, educational and transport facilities including Chester University and a mainline station. Similar facilities are available in the City of Liverpool, about 16 miles. There are good connections to the local motorway network with the M56 giving access to the M6, Manchester and Manchester Airport.
The property is approached through an imposing pillared gateway and drive to the front of the house with a secondary entrance of the road. The gardens lie principally to the south of the house with terraced lawns, a large central rill, upper terrace and walkways. In the south-west corner is a Grade II Listed ice house which is also a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Atelier Studios and Workshops - Coloured blue
These, together with the walled garden, are grouped to the north of Burton Manor. They comprise a coffee shop, a number of studios,
workshops etc. as well as parking areas. The various buildings are held on Licences, details of which are available on request.
The Walled Garden - Coloured orange
The walled garden and glasshouses have received Heritage Lottery Funding. It is currently occupied and managed by the Friends of Burton Manor Gardens Limited.
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53067676.html
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference CHS130285. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Strutt & Parker, Chester. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.