8 bedroom detached house for saleMill Lane, Keswick, Norfolk
A fine example of a Norfolk watermill which has spacious accommodation, many original period features and fine river views.
- Entrance hall
- Large games/storage room
- Original mill machinery
- Spacious sitting room
- Dining room
- Study/family room
- Master bedroom suite with en suite bathroom
- 7 further bedrooms
- 3 bathrooms
- Games room
- Extensive ground floor with double garage and space for further garaging
- Most attractive riverside gardens with long double bank river frontage
- In all about 2.7 acres
Driving Distances (approx.)
- Norwich 2 miles
- A11 2 miles
- Wymondham 5 miles
- A47 ring road 1 mile
Keswick Mill is situated at the end of a private roadway which leads down from the edge of the village of Keswick and is situated about 2 miles outside the city of Norwich. The mill enjoys an idyllic riverside setting with wonderful views up and down the river Yare and over the surrounding meadows. The village of Keswick is a conservation area and enjoys easy access to the city of Norwich with its excellent shopping and cultural facilities, together with main line railway station (London-Liverpool Street station, 100 minutes) and expanding airport. The property is well placed for easy access to the A47 southern bypass, giving access to the city, hospital and business parks and to the A11 for access to London band Cambridge or via the A47 to The Midlands. The coast and the Norfolk Broads are both within easy driving distance.
Keswick Mill is a former water mill which dates from around 1720 and ceased production as a mill in 1976. There has been a mill on the site since Norman times and one was mentioned in the Domesday Book. It stands in a lovely location and there is always an abundance of wildlife, water fowl and occasionally otters to be seen in the surroundings, the area is classified as a SSSI. In the 1980’s the property underwent a full restoration and this Grade II listed building was carefully restored, retaining much of the original fabric and character of the mill. The timber frame has been invisibly reinforced with structural steel and walls and roof were insulated and the exterior re-clad. The present owners have subsequently undertaken further improvements in 2001 and 2015 and the property now offers spacious accommodation on 3 floors in an idyllic situation, yet close to the city of Norwich.
The accommodation has been designed to have the majority of the living space open plan and on the first floor to take advantage of the river views. There are two further floors offering up to eight bedrooms with four bathrooms and plenty of space for playrooms, studio or storage. Outside are delightful riverside gardens with a summer house and paddock.
Keswick Mill is approached through the front door leading to the hall with stairs up to the first floor. From the landing a door leads into the living area with large sitting room with views up and down the river and extensive exposed timbers and machinery, also with wood burning stove. A dining area leads through to the well-fitted John Bernard kitchen, whilst on the other side is the study/ family room. From the landing is the master bedroom suite with bedroom and large en suite bathroom, whilst next door is bedroom 2 and separate family bathroom. On the second floor a large landing gives access to 3 further bedrooms, a games room/bedroom and 2 bathrooms, whilst on the third floor are 2 further large bedrooms and washroom.
On the ground floor is a double garage with space beyond for parking of more cars if required or ideally used as a large games room/storage area with separate workshop, sauna, cloakroom and the original mill wheel and other machinery.
Keswick Mill is approached over a long driveway which is shared with the Mill House and nearby cottages. To the front of the mill is a gravelled parking and turning area and 3 to 4 parking spaces opposite the Mill Barn.
Gardens & Grounds
The gardens are mainly south and west of the mill and are a most attractive feature of the property. On either side of the river are formal gardens with a number of trees and shrubs extensively under planted with spring bulbs and flowering plants, together with a number of fruit trees (apples, pear, plum and quince). On one side of the river is a summer house, looking down the river with its own jetty. Beyond the garden area is the paddock with electricity panels, installed in 2011, which produce an income of approximately £1,500.00 per annum.
Directions NR4 6TP
Leave Norwich in a southern direction on the A140 Ipswich road. Just after leaving the city boundary, turn right onto the B1113 signposted to Mulbarton and New Buckenham. Take the first turning to the right and again take the first turning to the right down Mill Lane. Keswick Mill will be found at the bottom of the lane.
South Norfolk Council, Band: G, Annual Cost: £2,518.75 (2015/16).
Mains electricity, private water and drainage, oil central heating, telephone connected, solar panels.
Fixtures and Fittings
Items regarded as fixtures and fittings including carpets, curtains, light fittings, kitchen appliances and garden ornaments are excluded although these items may be available by separate negotiation.
Strictly by prior appointment with sole agents Jackson-Stops & Staff. If there is any point which is of particular importance to you, we invite you to discuss this with us, especially before you travel to view the property.
1. These particulars have been prepared in good faith as a general guide, they are not exhaustive and include information provided to us by other parties including the seller, not all of which will have been verified by us.
2. We have not carried out a detailed or structural survey; we have not tested any services, appliances or fittings. Measurements, floor plans, orientation and distances are given as approximate only and should not be relied on.
3. The photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current, aspects may have changed since the photographs were taken. No assumption should be made that any contents are included in the sale.
4. We have not checked that the property has all necessary planning, building regulation approval, statutory or regulatory permissions or consents. Any reference to any alterations or use of any part of the property does not mean that necessary planning, building regulations, or other consent has been obtained.
5. Prospective purchasers should satisfy themselves by inspection, searches, enquiries, surveys, and professional advice about all relevant aspects of the property.
6. These particulars do not form part of any offer or contract and must not be relied upon as statements or representations of fact; we have no authority to make or give any representation or warranties in relation to the property. If these are required, you should include their terms in any contract between you and the seller.
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53615740.html?premiumA=true
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference NOR160072. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Jackson-Stops, Norwich. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
* Average speeds are based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time (8pm to 10pm) from packages available on comparethemarket.com. Speed can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed to your property prior to purchasing. Fibre/cable services at your postcode are subject to availability. You can confirm availability on the provider's website. Providers may increase charges. You should have the right to exit your contract without penalty if this happens. The information is provided and maintained by Decision Technologies Limited.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.