7 bedroom detached house for saleSpains Hall (Whole), Spains Hall Road, Finchingfield, Essex
- Great hall, drawing room, dining room, library, ante room and study
- Family room, nursery and kitchen/breakfast room
- Pantry and boot room/flower room
- Cellar, 4 cloakrooms and laundry room
- Tapestry bedroom with bathroom
- Master bedroom with dressing room and bathroom
- 5 further bedrooms with one dressing room
- 4 further bathrooms and linen room
- Second floor providing additional bedrooms and storage
- Walled garden, formal gardens, parkland, tennis court and swimming pool
Internally the house combines a selection of magnificent light and spacious reception rooms with extensive and comfortable bedroom accommodation on the first floor. The second floor, once the domain of the house staff, is partially used and could provide further bedroom space if required.
Of particular note is the magnificent Reception Hall, part panelled with a fine open fireplace and doors leading to the elegant drawing room with views over the gardens to the South East. Adjoining is the library with a unique sense of history and views over the parkland to the south west.
Spains Hall is situated in the heart of rural North West Essex, within walking distance of Finchingfield which is recognised as one of England's most picturesque villages. The house is set comfortably at the centre of its own parkland with views over its gardens and the lakes and woodland beyond.
The village of Finchingfield offers a post office, general store, and various excellent public houses and restaurants. For a greater selection of amenity and shopping conveniences, Chelmsford, Saffron Walden and Bishops Stortford are easily accessible. The beautiful and historic city of Cambridge, famous for its colleges, is situated approximately 24 miles away.
Audley End Train Station and Braintree station both offer a mainline railway line to London Liverpool Street which can be reached in approximately 55 minutes. The property is also within easy reach of Stansted International Airport (13 miles).
Sporting opportunities in the area include hunting with the East Essex Hunt, racing at Newmarket and Chelmsford City Racecourse, together with golf at Saffron Walden Golf Club, Chelmsford Golf Club and Braintree Golf Club. The area is renowned for its schools; local private schools include St Margarets Prep, Felsted School, New Hall School in Chelmsford, King Edwards VI Grammar School and Chelmsford County High School for Girls.
Gardens and grounds
The house is approached over a gravelled drive through beautiful mature parkland. To the south east are the formal gardens planted with beautiful traditional English roses and studded with a selection of mature specimen trees. A gravelled path leads into the walled garden, which once produced vegetables and soft fruits for the estate and now encloses the heated swimming pool and the glass houses. There is also an all-weather tennis court. Opposite is the charming two storey garden folly known as the Prayer House.
The beautiful former stable block has been refurbished and now presents an imaginative venue that has been used to create a successful commercial venture. Incorporating the 18th Century Dovecote and 19th Century Coach House, the complex can be put to a variety of commercial or leisure uses.
Entrance through Dovecote, cloakrooms, store and boiler room. Coach House with double doors and bar leads to triple aspect dining room. The stables have been transformed into seating areas. The stable block is served by a professional caterers kitchen. The ground floor has underfloor heating and air conditioning. The First Floor comprises large office, storage and a WC.
Accommodation comprises 3 reception rooms with open fires, 6 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, galley kitchen/dining room, pantry, WC and store.
A charming detached lodge house, comprising of 2 reception rooms, galley ktichen/dining room, utility room, 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56120584.html
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference LON160157. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Strutt & Parker, National Country House Department. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
* Average speeds are based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time (8pm to 10pm) from packages available on comparethemarket.com. Speed can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed to your property prior to purchasing. Fibre/cable services at your postcode are subject to availability. You can confirm availability on the provider's website. Providers may increase charges. You should have the right to exit your contract without penalty if this happens. The information is provided and maintained by Decision Technologies Limited.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.