6 bedroom detached house for saleTidmarsh
- Substantial Victorian period family house
- 6 Double bedrooms
- 4 en suites plus family bathroom
- Detached 1 bedroom annexe
- Detached outbuilding/games room
- Beautiful kitchen and bathrooms
- Tasteful decor throughout
- South facing gardens approx 1.37 acres
- 0.7 mile to Pangbourne
- Pangbourne office 0118 9842662
The Old Rectory was built in 1856 and is a fine example of early Victorian splendour, on the edge of the village.
Pangbourne village centre and station 0.7 mile (15 minutes` walk) by pavement with street lighting or across the meadows ● Fast trains to London Paddington (47 minutes) ● Reading 6 miles ● M4 (junc 12) 3 miles ● Heathrow 45 mins drive ●
(all distances/timings are approximate)
Main House : 4,946 sq ft / 460 m²
Old Rectory Lodge: 437 sq ft / 41 m²
Garage/Outbuildings: 1,060 sq ft / 99 m²
Summer dining/Games room: 449 sq ft/42 m²
Gardens & Grounds: South facing extending to 1.37 acre / 0.56 hectare
(all measurements are approximate)
The Old Rectory is a fine example of Victorian gothic architecture and a splendid, substantial, period, 6 bedroom family house. Offering spacious and flexible accommodation with high ceilings and lots of natural light throughout. The rooms are well proportioned and offer beautiful views.
This property is a fine representation of its period, valuably unlisted. Steeped in history and original features, this is a wonderful family home and is superb for entertaining.
The entire property has been the subject of considerable renovation and improvement over recent years. Whilst retaining many of the period features throughout, the house has been tastefully modernised.
An attractive separate double garage block also contains on the first floor a compact 1 bedroom lodge.
● A magnificent pair of gothic style oak doors open into a splendid reception hall with oak flooring, leading to a fabulous arts and crafts style staircase rising to the first floor
● The Old Rectory has some fine fireplaces fitted with wood burners and the main reception rooms have the original shutters to the windows.
● Large kitchen/breakfast room with modern fitted units, granite work tops and a 4 oven gas aga. Adjacent utility room with a walk-in pantry and staircase down to wine cellar. The room is light, bright and easily accommodates an 8 seater breakfast table. With fine glazed doors leading onto the large Indian sandstone laid patio overlooking the south facing gardens
● The property has a substantial, high red brick boundary wall and is accessed through timber electronically operated gates giving high security and privacy
● The drawing room has a magnificent marble fireplace and mantelpiece with a large wood burner fitted. This handsome and very elegant room has double French doors giving direct access to the gardens
● The library is a double aspect room with fitted bookcases and a fireplace with a wood burner
● The elegant dining room with adjoining family room has Victorian terracotta tiled floors and also has a wood burner fitted. The family room has access to the walled courtyard garden and the main gardens
● Modern bathrooms and shower rooms
● All bedrooms are substantial doubles
● Vaulted ceiling on upstairs landing
● Mezzanine and vaulted ceiling bedroom 3
Summary of accommodation:
Ground floor; Entrance lobby, reception hall, cloakroom 1, library, drawing room, kitchen/breakfast room, utility room, pantry, staircase to cellar, dining room, family room, laundry room, boot room, cloakroom 2. First floor; 6 double bedrooms, 4 ensuite. Family bathroom, study.
Detached lodge; Comprising of a sitting/kitchen area, bedroom with ensuite bathroom.
Detached double garage, detached tandem length garage with workshop. Detached brick built summer dining area/games room with cloakroom. Boiler room and garden store.
Gardens and grounds: Wonderful south facing gardens extending to 1.37 acres/0.56 hectare, are very private. Bounded by open fields on three sides, the gardens are mainly laid to lawn with a variety of mature trees, fruit trees and traditional box hedging. Large Indian sandstone laid patio overlooking the south facing gardens ideal for summer dining and entertaining. The elegant sweeping driveway gives access to the main house and substantial parking
Local facilities: Tidmarsh has a 12th century historic village pub, the Greyhound, just a 5 minute walk from the Old Rectory. Tidmarsh is situated very close to the neighbouring villages of Pangbourne and Englefield. Fielders Farm Shop offers high quality local and regional produce including fresh meat, fresh fruit and vegetables, bread baked daily, local game, free range chickens and eggs and fresh flowers.
Pangbourne is just over ½ mile away and offers a range of amenities including a splendid selection of specialist shops including butchers, cheese shop, organic farm shop, bakery, a supermarket, library, doctors, dental practices, hairdressers, pubs and restaurants. From the Old Rectory you can walk into Pangbourne and the local primary school on public footpaths along the river Pang and the neighbouring meadows. Pangbourne station offers fast train links to London Paddington (approx. 47 minutes), Oxford and Reading (soon to have Crossrail giving fast links to The City).
Schools: The Old Rectory is within easy reach of a number of fine schools; and is within catchment area for the highly sought after Englefield Primary School. St Andrew`s Preparatory School, Moulsford Preparatory School, Elstree school, Pangbourne College, Bradfield College, The Oratory School, Downe House and Cranford House are all within easy access. There are bus pick up points in Pangbourne for Abingdon Boys and St Helen & St Katharine Girls schools in Abingdon. Grammar schools; Reading for boys and Kendrick School for girls in Reading are easily accessible by a 10 minute train journey from Pangbourne.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter turn left, proceed over the mini roundabout, passing the front of The Elephant, out of Pangbourne on the Tidmarsh Road. Just ½ mile along the road you will come across The Old Rectory on the left hand side with an area to pull into in front of the timber electric entrance gate.
Post Code: RG8 8ER
Services: Gas central heating, septic tank, mains water and electricity.
Local Authority: West Berkshire
Council Tax Band: Main house – band H, The Lodge - band A
Viewing by arrangement with vendor`s agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-59058997.html?premiumA=true
Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) graphs
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference 459. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Dudley Singleton And Daughter, Pangbourne. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
* Average speeds are based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time (8pm to 10pm) from packages available on comparethemarket.com. Speed can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed to your property prior to purchasing. Fibre/cable services at your postcode are subject to availability. You can confirm availability on the provider's website. Providers may increase charges. You should have the right to exit your contract without penalty if this happens. The information is provided and maintained by Decision Technologies Limited.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.