5 bedroom detached house for saleWellingborough Road, Abington, Northampton
- Listed Grade II* and constructed in 1925/26 to the design of the renowned industrial engineer Peter Behrens.
- Built for Mr W J Bassett-Lowke and believed to be the first property built in the UK in the German Expressionist style.
- Superb central hallway with cloakroom off and grand staircase rising to a galleried first floor landing.
- Four reception rooms to include a sitting room, dining room, study and snug.
- Fitted kitchen/breakfast room, walk-in pantry and utility/ laundry area.
- Five first floor bedrooms (two with en suite facilities) family bathroom and further shower room.
- Lower ground floor/basement area with potential. Double garage and store.
- Lovely established gardens and grounds in all extending to about 0.41 acre (0.16ha).
- Outdoor swimming pool, sunken garden and lovely raised terrace with loggia.
- Viewing is highly recommended to appreciate the design and position of this wonderful family home.
*A PIECE OF ARCHITECTURAL HISTORY* A notable property of importance, situated next to Abington Park. Main hall, cloakroom, 4 reception rooms, kitchen/breakfast room, 5 bedrooms and 2 bath/shower rooms. Total plot of around 0.41 of an acre (0.16 ha).
New Ways, which is Listed Grade II*, dates from 1925/1926 and is to the design of the renowned industrial engineer Peter Behrens (1868-1940). It was built for Mr W J Bassett-Lowke of model railway fame, who had his factory in Northampton. It is thought that this house was the first property built in the UK in the German Expressionist style. The house incorporates some internal features designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh and formerly in No 78 Derngate, Northampton, a house that he remodelled in 1916. New Ways was listed in 1952 as possibly the first Modernist home in Britain.
To the ground floor an entrance porch with glass panelling provides access to an impressive reception hall. The main hall features a grand central staircase, a piscina water feature and full height ‘triangular’ window. Off the main hall is a study with a superb ceiling rose, sitting room with impressive stone fireplace with tile inset, adjacent stained glass lighting panels and a central Art Deco style lantern light. Double doors lead to an outside loggia. There is a separate dining room, with further double doors giving access to the loggia area. A secondary hallway provides access to a snug and kitchen/breakfast room comprising range of base and eye level units, integrated fridge and dishwasher. To the first floor there are five double bedrooms and two bath/shower rooms providing en suite facilities to both bedrooms one and two. Fitted washbasins can be found in bedrooms four and five. There is also a lower ground floor area currently comprising laundry room, cellar and stores and could provide potential for conversion to further formal living accommodation subject to planning.
Double wrought iron gates provide access to a private driveway with off-road parking for a number of vehicles and in turn leads to a detached double garage. There is also a gated pedestrian access. The principal gardens are situated to the rear of the house and comprise raised terrace, ideal for outside entertaining and al fresco dining, with steps leading down to the main lawned garden. The gardens are well stocked with flower and shrub borders together with clipped hedging and a paved pathway leading to a further ‘sunken’ garden with adjacent outdoor swimming pool area. Within the gardens is a brick built garden store. The gardens and grounds form an attractive setting to New Ways and abut Abington Park.
New Ways is located in what is widely regarded as one of Northampton’s most desirable locations. Situated around 1½ miles to the east of Northampton town centre. The area is well placed for communications with easy access to the M1 motorway (Junction 15) via the A45 dual carriageway. Trains to London Euston with journey times of around 1 hour are available from Northampton together with train services from Wellingborough to London St Pancras with journey times of around 50 minutes. Both state primary and secondary education are provided close by including the highly regarded Northampton School for Boys. Private schools include Wellingborough School, Northampton High School and Pitsford School.
DIRECTIONS NN3 3HX
From Northampton take the Billing Road towards Northampton School for Boys and at the traffic light junction with Park Avenue South, Billing Road East and Rushmere Road, turn left into Park Avenue South. Take the next right into Abington Park Crescent and at the next traffic light junction turn left onto the Wellingborough Road. New Ways can be seen set back from the road on the left hand side.
Services: All mains services are connected to the property
Local Authority: Northampton Borough Council
Tel: 03003 307 000
Outgoings: Council Tax Band ‘G’
Viewings: Strictly by appointment with Jackson-Stops Tel: 01604 632 991
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-59356182.html?premiumA=true
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference NTH180417. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Jackson-Stops, Northampton. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
* Average speeds are based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time (8pm to 10pm) from packages available on comparethemarket.com. Speed can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed to your property prior to purchasing. Fibre/cable services at your postcode are subject to availability. You can confirm availability on the provider's website. Providers may increase charges. You should have the right to exit your contract without penalty if this happens. The information is provided and maintained by Decision Technologies Limited.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.