10 bedroom detached house for saleUnderwood House, Craigie, Ayrshire, KA1
- A Category B Listed mansion
- 3 Kitchens
- 9/10 bedrooms
- 8 bathrooms
- EPC Rating = F
A Category B Listed mansion set in the Idyllic Ayrshire countryside
The historic Underwood House is situated in one of the most enchanted secluded positions within the renowned countryside of South Ayrshire. The mansion house is surrounded by extensive policies which include beautifully tended landscaped gardens, extensive grazing with paddocks, woodland and a haylage field. Underwood House is close to the heart of Burns country and the picturesque village of Symington is approximately 2 miles from Underwood House and the M77/A77 provides excellent road access to Glasgow, Ayrshire and beyond. Within close proximity is the famous Royal Troon Golf Course which hosts the British Open in the 2016. Trump Turnberry (the venue for the British Open in 2009) has recently undergone a dramatic refurbishment and there is a wide range of additional golf courses within Ayrshire. There is also excellent sailing with yachting marinas at Troon and further along the coast at Largs and Inverkip. South Ayrshire is also noted for its field sport including pheasant, partridge and grouse shooting and there is first class shooting on nearby estates.
Prestwick Airport is within close proximity and Glasgow and Edinburgh airports provide a wider range of domestic, European and international flights.
Underwood House is one of the prettiest Georgian country houses in Ayrshire. Late 18th century classical houses in Scotland are often exquisitely planned and built and Underwood House is no exception. To the front elevation there is a pedimented projection topped by a single ornamental urn and to the rear of the property there is a centre bow projection and the interior stair well is also of special architectural note.
Underwood House is a Category B Listed mansion built for Captain John Kennedy after he purchased the estate in 1785. The porch was built sometime later, prior to 1853. Underwood House was restored after being damaged by a fire in 1862 and large additions and double windows date from the subsequent restoration. The house is not just architecturally significant: in 1926 British Pathe News reported that Edward VIII (then the Prince of Wales) was seen arriving by train at local Maybole station, along with horses, which were to be stabled at Underwood House. The future king then joined his mount for the meet with the Eglinton Fox Hounds - a regular date in the hunt calendar. In later times Underwood House was sub divided to form two self contained conversions but the original house could be easily converted back to a whole.
The accommodation on Underwood House begins with the ground floor entrance vestibule, then a beautiful reception hallway with sweeping stone staircase leading to the upper level. There is a grand hallway with feature timber fire surround and stunning views to the garden and beyond to the surrounding countryside and paddocks. The drawing room is magnificent, with parquet flooring and an impressive fireplace. Also on the ground floor is a card room or library, formal dining room, double sized bedroom with en suite bathroom, fitted dining size kitchen and bathroom. The lower floor accommodation has a separate access door with boot room, cloakroom / WC and there is a splendid sitting room with French doors to the garden. There is a study or home office, and four double sized bedrooms with en suites. There is also a fitted kitchen on this floor.
Upper Underwood comprises a two storey conversion with sitting room, dining room, ga mes room, living room, five bedrooms, three bathrooms and kitchen (please refer to enclosed layout plans).
The gated entrance leads to a tarmac driveway with wildlife pond and beyond the front door there is ample parking provision with access to five garages to the side of the property. The gardens for the front of the property have a wide variety of mature trees and shrubs including silver birch, pine, chestnut and mature rhododendrons which provide privacy, shelter and seasonal colour. Within the grounds of Underwood there are paddocks. The stables are Victorian with five loose boxes and tack room and there are two additional horse barns each with six stables. A horse walker is adjacent to the stables.
Square Footage: 7,272 sq ft
Acreage: 22 Acres
From Glasgow head south along the M77 and continue beyond Fenick, Kilmarnock and Symington. Continue south past Hansel and turn left following signs for Underwood and Ladykirk. Continue along this road past Underwood Lodge and beyond the farm, then turn left. Continue along this road and the main entrance to Underwood House is on the left hand side.
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60532529.html
Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) graphs
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference GLS150251. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Savills, Glasgow. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.