Land for saleShethin Farm, Tarves, Ellon, Aberdeenshire, AB41
- 537.2 acres (217.4 hectares)
- An outstanding residential farm with 217.42 hectares (537.23 acres)
- For sale As A Whole or in 3 Lots
- Exceptional four storey farmhouse
- Extensive range of modern farm buildings
- LOT 1 ? Shethin Farmhouse and gardens extending to 1.20 hectares (2.95 acres)
- LOT 2 ? Shethin Farm Buildings and land extending to 162.30 hectares (401.04 acres)
- LOT 3 ? Land at Auchedly extending to 53.92 hectares (133.24 acres)
CLOSING DATE SET FOR THURSDAY, 19 July 2018 AT 12 NOON.
The Ogstons of Gordonstoun in Moray gained possession of Shethin around 1400AD retaining the land within their wider family until around 1671-1681. For over three hundred years the owners were the Gordons of Haddo with the tenancy being passed on through descendants of James Hay. William Hay was classed as a ‘high farmer’ being committed to agricultural improvement of land, buildings, the current farmhouse, new crops and livestock, reputedly having the best pedigree Beef Shorthorns in Scotland in the 1850’s. In addition to his skill as a farmer he was a marketing pioneer being the first in Aberdeenshire to send fat cattle to the Smithfield market in London by steam ships and then trains. The family of the current owners took over the tenancy of Shethin in 1932 being given the opportunity to buy the farm 2004. It is believed that this is the first time the farm has been offered for sale on the open market for over six hundred years.
Shethin is situated in central Aberdeenshire in a prime agricultural area well known and sought after for its productive and fertile land.
The land at Shethin is one continuous block extending 217.42 ha (537.23 acres) or thereby, and enjoys good access from the public road network.
According to the James Hutton Institute the majority of the land is classified as Grade 3(1) and 3(2) being capable of producing high yields of arable crops and grass for grazing.
The land is registered with SGRPID for IACS purposes and is situated approximately 71 metres above sea level.
Please note Lots 2 & 3 will not be sold prior to the sale of Lot 1
LOT 1 – SHETHIN FARMHOUSE
Shethin farmhouse is an exceptional stone and slate built farmhouse with accommodation on four levels being is set in a private location and has many period features including original woodwork and doors in addition to Historic Scotland approved double glazing. The accommodation comprises:
Basement: Office/Games Room (11.57m x 4.67m), Utility Room (4.60m x 2.98m), Wine Cellar (4.51m x 3.85)
Ground Floor: Entrance Hall, Kitchen (4.65m x 7.40m), Lounge (4.69m x 7.40m), Bathroom (3.03m x 1.69m), Boot Room (3.03m x 1.86m)
First Floor: Master Bedroom (4.69m x 3.99m), 2 Bedrooms (4.73m x 3.46m) (3.96m x 4.00m), Bathroom (2.88m x 2.00m), Study (3.64m x 4.00m)
Attic: Bedroom (3.38m x 4.41m) and Dressing Room (3.38m x 2.10m), Bathroom (3.62m x 2.10m) and L shaped Craft Room (4.19m x 8.12m and 3.25m x 2.12m).
The Council Tax Band is – G.
The EPC rating for Shethin farmhouse is E.
The house sits on an enclosed footprint of 1.20 hectares (2.95 acres) with extensive lawns, mature broadleaves and productive gardens in addition to a garage and outbuildings.
LOT 2 – SHETHIN LAND AND BUILDINGS
The farm buildings comprise a useful range of modern and traditional portal frame structures as follows:
1) Fertiliser Shed – 10.68m x 21.16m, of steel portal frame construction, combination of timber and box profile cladding, concrete floor, asbestos roof.
2) Workshop and lean to – 17.94m x 14.73m, of timber frame construction, with concrete block and corrugated tin walls, concrete floor, and fibre cement roof.
3) Grain Store and lean to – 15.1m x 26.17m, of steel portal frame construction, combination of timber and box profile cladding, concrete floor, fibre cement roof.
4) Tray Drier – 5.39m x 9.78m, steel portal frame construction, concrete floor, combination of concrete block walls and box profile cladding, box profile roofing sheets. 20 tonne capacity.
5) Grain Store – 26.51m x 11.26m, of steel portal frame construction, concrete floor, combination of traditional stone walls and box profile cladding, box profile roof.
6) Cattle Shed – 15.44m x 22.42m, of stone construction, concrete floor, steel trusses, and asbestos roof.
7) Traditional Barn – 4.79m x 36.59m, of stone construction, timber trusses, concrete floor, box profile roofing sheets.
8) Livestock Hospital Pens – 5.05m x 9.86m, of stone construction, concrete floor, and box profile roofing sheets.
9) Cattle Court – 33.37m x 7.78m, of steel portal frame construction, stone walls, timber cladding, concrete floor, and box profile roofing sheets.
10) Grain Store – 15.5m x 17.93m, of steel portal frame construction, traditional stone walls, concrete floor, box profile cladding and fibre cement roof.
11) General Store – 5.4m x 9.86m with loft above, of stone construction, concrete floor, with box profile roofing sheets.
12) Grain bins and Loft – 27.88m x 5.4m, 6.54m x 6.54m, and 13.33m x 7.32m, of stone construction, concrete floor and timber floored loft, box profile roofing sheets.
The land comprises 12 enclosures and extends to 162.30 ha (401.04 acres). According to the James Hutton Institute the majority of the land is classified as Grade 3(1) and 3(2), being capable of producing high yields of arable and forage crops. The land is in excellent heart having been farmed in rotation and having received regular applications of dung over the years.
The land is registered with SGRIPD for IACS purposes and is situated approximately 71 metres above sea level.
LOT 3 – LAND AT AUCHEDLY
The land comprises 4 enclosures and extends to 53.92 ha (133.24 acres). According to the James Hutton Institute the majority of the land is classified as Grade 3(1) and 3(2), being capable of producing high yields of arable and forage crops. The land is in excellent heart having been farmed in rotation and having received regular applications of dung over the years.
The land is registered with SGRIPD for IACS purposes and is situated between 71 and 81 metres above sea level.
Raeburn Christie Clark & Wallace, 7 The Square, Ellon, AB41 9JB, Tel: 01358 720777
Aberdeenshire Council, Gordon House, Blackhall Road, Inverurie, AB51 3WA
RURAL PAYMENTS AND INSPECTION DIRECTORATE (SGRPID)
Thainstone Court, Inverurie, AB51 5YA, Tel: 01467 626222. Farm Code 66/055/0023 and 66/055/0013.
METHOD OF SALE
For sale As A Whole or in 3 Lots.
BASIC PAYMENT SCHEME
The majority of the land is eligible for claiming Basic Payments. The Basic Payment Scheme entitlements have been established by the seller and are not included in the sale of the land. A buyer(s) will take over and pay for at valuation the Basic Payment Scheme entitlements established on the land for sale. Payments relating to the 2018 year will be retained by the seller. The buyer will be responsible upon occupation of the subjects of sale to fully comply with the statutory management requirements to maintain the farmland in Good Agricultural and Environmental Condition as laid down under the cross Compliance Rules of the Basic Payment Scheme 2018 for the rest of the scheme year.
The farm currently has a full allocation of Region One BPS Entitlements with a value of €159.94 (excluding greening) per unit.
The trees in field 10 are subject to SRDP funding. It is a condition of the sale that the purchaser signs the transfer obligation form in respect of the SRDP funding and will comply with the rules of the scheme for the remainder of the contractual period. Payment is £600/annum until 2025.
The Sporting Rights are included in the sale, insofar as they are owned, although these have not been exercised in recent years.
The Mineral Rights are not included in the sale.
All fallen and standing timber is included in the sale insofar as they are owned.
POSSESSION AND ENTRY
Vacant possession and entry will be given on completion or such mutual time to be agreed by the seller and the purchaser.
The purchaser(s) shall, in addition to the purchase price, be obliged to take over and pay for at a valuation to be agreed by a mutually appointed valuer(s) with respect to the following:
All cultivations and growing crops on a seeds, labour, lime, fertilizer, sprays and machinery basis with an increment representing the enhanced value of the establishment and age of such crops.
All hay, straw fodder, roots, silage and farmyard manure and other produce at market value. All oils, fuels, fertilizers, sprays, chemicals seeds and sundries at cost.
Note: If the amount of the valuations has not been agreed on the date fixed for completion, then the purchaser shall pay to the seller such a sum as the selling agents shall certify on account at the valuation pending agreement. Should the payment not be made within seven days then the interest will become payable on outstanding monies at 8% over the Bank of Scotland borrowing rate as adjusted from time to time.
A deposit of 10% of the purchase price shall be paid within seven days of the completion of Missives. The deposit will be non-refundable in the event of the purchaser(s) failing to pay the purchase price or failing to complete for reasons not attributable to the seller of the seller’s agents.
HEALTH & SAFETY
The property is an agricultural holding and appropriate caution should be exercised at all times during inspection, particularly in reference to the farm buildings.
Galbraith are approved agents for the Agricultural Mortgage Corporation (AMC) and we can assist you in securing finance loans for a variety of farming purposes including the purchase of land and property, facilitate and reschedule debt, and to provide working capital for diverse creation, and improving on erected farm buildings. For further details and to discuss any proposals in connection please contact Robert Taylor on 0800 389 9448. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
A closing date may be fixed. Prospective purchasers who have noted their interest through lawyers to Galbraith, in writing, will be advised of a closing date, unless the property has been sold previously. The Seller will not be obliged to accept the highest, or indeed any offer, and has the right to accept an offer at any time or withdraw the property from the market. The Seller will not be liable for any costs incurred by interested parties.
Formal offers in the acceptable Scottish form should be submitted, through a Scottish Lawyer, to Galbraith LLP, 337 North Deeside Road, Cults, Aberdeen, AB15 9SP. Tel: 01224 860710
3 and 4 Shethin Cottages are available through separate negotiation should a purchasers need additional accommodation.
THIRD PARTY RIGHTS AND SERVITUDES
The subjects are sold together with, and subject to, all existing rights of way, servitudes, wayleaves and others whether contained in the Title Deeds or otherwise, and purchasers will be deemed to have satisfied themselves in all respects thereof.
The farm enjoys a right of access over the track shown A/B on the sales plan. Mains of Auchedly has a right to draw water from the well in field 14. The cottage owners have a right of access over the track shown C/D on the sales plan. The septic tank for the farmhouse is located in field 8. The shared septic tank for the cottages is located in field 3. The soakaway for Quarry Cottage and East Shethin are in fields 1 and 17 respectively. A high pressure gas pipeline traverses fields 12, 13, 14 and 17.
Shethin Farmhouse is served by oil fired central heating, private water supply, single phase electricity with foul water disposal being via septic tank and soakaway. The steading is on the same water and electricity supply as the farmhouse and if sold separately will be subject to a management agreement with the relevant rights being retained over the land in order that separate water and electricity supplies can be fed to the farmhouse. The water supply has recently been passed by Environmental Health. There is a backup supply to the farmhouse which overflows to the steading. The cottages are both serviced from a private water supply managed by Haddo Estate. The Farmhouse also has a right to draw water from this supply. The cottages are also served by oil fired central heating.
Photographs were taken in May 2018.
EPC Rating = E
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-65467354.html
Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) graphs
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference ABN170147. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Galbraith, Aberdeen. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
* Average speeds are based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time (8pm to 10pm) from packages available on comparethemarket.com. Speed can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed to your property prior to purchasing. Fibre/cable services at your postcode are subject to availability. You can confirm availability on the provider's website. Providers may increase charges. You should have the right to exit your contract without penalty if this happens. The information is provided and maintained by Decision Technologies Limited.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.