2 bedroom terraced house for saleHawkhurst Close, Birchington, Kent
- Historic coastguard's cottage in quiet cul-de-sac
- Two double bedrooms
- Versatile loft room
- Close to Epple Bay beach and clifftop walks
- Southerly facing landscaped rear garden
- Off road parking and en-bloc mezzanine garage
- EPC energy rating F
In 1840 the last of the notorious Hawkhurst smugglers gang were finally brought to justice. The station that the coastguards operated from was serviced by a small row of cottages on what became known as Hawkhurst Close in memory of that historic occasion. Later, in 1925, the dilettante Gladys Cooper bought the cottages and rented out rooms to actors, painters and musicians.
Today, that same small row of cottages sits in a beautiful cul-de-sac location in Epple Bay and you now have the opportunity to live in a piece of history. This former Coastguard's cottage has been sympathetically renovated to the highest of standards by its current owners, who have lived at the address for forty years. As you move from the hallway to the sitting room you will immediately notice the incredible attention to detail, with its marble fireplace and period mouldings. This amply sets the scene for the rest of the home. A separate dining room has French doors opening out onto the southerly-facing garden beyond, which itself has an abundance of period charm featuring raised patios, olive trees, a bay tree and bamboo, framing a Victorian style courtyard pond.
Moving upstairs to the first floor you will find two double bedrooms, the master with an American ash staircase leading to a versatile loft room, which is currently used as a home office but would be equally at home as a studio, hobby room or den. Off road parking for two cars and an en-bloc garage mean that you and your guests will never be short of places to park when they visit your delightful seaside retreat.
What the Owner says:
It was the history and the location of this home that grabbed us as soon as we saw it. Many happy summers have been spent cycling alongside the River Wansum, playing cricket or tennis on the local green or just kayaking or swimming at Epple Bay, a short stroll from our front door. The heating is electric and comes down from the ceilings. We have been amazed at how little our energy bills have been, though no doubt the 18 inch thick walls help to keep the warmth and also very quiet. Having lived here for 40 years we will miss our home and the community dearly.
- GROUND FLOOR
- Entrance Hallway
- Lounge: 20'1 x 13'3 (6.13m x 4.04m)
- Dining Area: 8'7 x 8'4 (2.62m x 2.54m)
- Kitchen: 14'5 x 6'9 (4.40m x 2.06m)
- FIRST FLOOR
- Bedroom 1: 14'5 x 8'4 (4.40m x 2.54m)
- Bedroom 2: 11'1 x 10'2 (3.38m x 3.10m)
- SECOND FLOOR
- Loft Room
- Rear Garden
- Off Road Parking
- Garage en bloc
The information provided about this property does not constitute or form part of an offer or contract, nor may be it be regarded as representations. All interested parties must verify accuracy and your solicitor must verify tenure/lease information, fixtures & fittings and, where the property has been extended/converted, planning/building regulation consents. All dimensions are approximate and quoted for guidance only as are floor plans which are not to scale and their accuracy cannot be confirmed. Reference to appliances and/or services does not imply that they are necessarily in working order or fit for the purpose.
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-65637277.html?premiumA=true
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference 10128091. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Wards, Birchington. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
* Average speeds are based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time (8pm to 10pm) from packages available on comparethemarket.com. Speed can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed to your property prior to purchasing. Fibre/cable services at your postcode are subject to availability. You can confirm availability on the provider's website. Providers may increase charges. You should have the right to exit your contract without penalty if this happens. The information is provided and maintained by Decision Technologies Limited.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.