7 bedroom character property for saleAlexandra Road, Reading
Withdrawn from Market
- Substantial seven bedroom detached family home with flexible living accommodation
- Studio annexe, can be joined to main house or self contained with own entrance
- Cellar with three seperate rooms, main room measuring 14'8 x 8'2
- Reading Grammar and Kendrick School both within walking distance and both rated outstanding with Ofsted
- Enclosed rear gardens with a veranda seating area and mature shrubs and trees bordering
- Close proximity to Reading town centre, Royal Berkshire Hospital and Reading main line station
Property IQ - (3D WALK AROUND TOUR AVAILABLE) Rex Law House was built in 1886 and has an original hand-painted stain glass feature above the front door showing Malvolio from Shakespeare's Twelfth Night reading a book, with the signature "Huntley and Palmer" suggesting the property was originally built for and owned by a senior member of their management team.
The current owners have lived in Rex Law House for the past 21 years and are ready to pass the baton to someone else. As they said, "We feel extremely lucky to have lived here all these years. It's a big house in a great central location that has a wonderful village feel. Rex Law House worked brilliantly for us. This home has incredible charm and warmth and retains many original features and captures everyone's imagination from the first step inside. "
From 1957 the house operated under the name "Argyle Hotel". Then, in 1975, the house took the name Rex Law House and served as police cadet lodgings. When the current owners took ownership, the house was in a sad state with many of the original features hidden.
Rex Law House is clearly a versatile building as it has been adapted to changing needs and circumstances over the years. The neighbourhood has a special feel too. Because of its unique architectural features, Alexandra Road Conservation Area was formed in 2006. You'll find top performing schools, Reading Boys Grammar and Kendrick Girls School, plus several private schools just a short walk away. Reading University and Royal Berkshire Hospital are also on the boundary of Redlands Ward. The town centre and Reading Station is well within walking distance, and the motorway is equally close.
All in all, this is a unique property. With over 3,500 square feet, it is one of the largest domestic properties in Reading. Additionally, its is one of the best locations in Reading, on a tree-lined quiet road with a great community feel.
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67391195.html
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference 7893669. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Property IQ Ltd, Reading. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
* Average speeds are based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time (8pm to 10pm) from packages available on comparethemarket.com. Speed can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed to your property prior to purchasing. Fibre/cable services at your postcode are subject to availability. You can confirm availability on the provider's website. Providers may increase charges. You should have the right to exit your contract without penalty if this happens. The information is provided and maintained by Decision Technologies Limited.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.