House for saleBlackshiels, Pathhead, Midlothian
- Modern farmhouse with 2 reception rooms, 4 bedrooms
- Excellent views over East-Lothian and the Firth of Forth
- Range of farm buildings
- 34 acres of grass leys, 47 acres permanent pasture, 154 acres rough grazing
- 96 acres commercial forestry comprising mainly Sitka Spruce
- Entitlements to the Basic Payment Scheme
- Available as a whole or in 3 lots
Dere Street Farm is a productive livestock rearing farm which extends to about 332 acres of which approximately 96 acres are commercial forestry. A feature of the farm are the panoramic views to the north and east.
The farm has been in the ownership of the sellers for 15 years and originally formed part of a larger farming unit. It includes a modern farmhouse and a range of farm buildings.
The contiguous block of land comprises 36 acres of grass leys, 45 acres of permanent pasture, 154 acres of rough grazings and 96 acres of forestry.
In 2002 the land was in 2 enclosures either side of the adopted public road. Since then, the farm has been re-fenced into manageable field enclosures, fields have been part of a re-seeding programme and a water supply has been added to each field.
The land at the southern of the farm is approximately 298 metres above sea level and rises to 372 metres at the farm entrance.
Dere Street Farm is farmed in hand by the sellers who have operated a mixed beef and sheep rearing enterprise.
It is not presently being farmed at full capacity and is carrying a herd of 16 Luing suckler cows plus followers and 160 breeding ewes, including 60 pedigree Suffolks and 100 Cheviots. The spring-calving cows are calved outdoors, with progeny sold at 8-9 months as stores. Both the cattle herd and sheep flock are closed and have high health status.
Dere Street Farm is situated in a peaceful and elevated position with views across the counties of Midlothian and East Lothian and over the Firth of Forth to the Kingdom of Fife.
The nearest village is Pathhead (6 miles), which provides local services with a post office, village shop, bakery and a weekly mobile bank service. Edinburgh, to the north, is 18 miles distant and has an extensive range of professional services and high street shops. There are a number of private schools in the area including Belhaven Hill, The Compass, and Loretto. There is also a number of private schools in Edinburgh including Fettes, Edinburgh Academy, St Georges, Merchiston, Mary Erskines and George Watsons College.
The farm is in an easily accessible location with the A68 trunk road 1 mile distant, which connects Edinburgh and Newcastle. Edinburgh Airport is 25 miles to the north west.
There are livestock markets at St Boswells (23 miles), Lanark (50 miles) and at Stirling (54 miles). There is a wide range of agricultural merchants in the area.
The surrounding Midlothian countryside is rural and unspoilt with productive farmland. There are opportunities for a wide range of outdoor pursuits nearby and many attractive walks and rides in the surrounding countryside. The many golf courses of East Lothian such as, Muirfield, The Renaissance Course, Craigielaw and Archerfield Links are all within a 30 minute drive. There is challenging and exciting mountain biking in the Scottish Borders.
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67850096.html
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference SFA170008. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Strutt & Parker, Scottish Estates & Farm Agency. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
* Average speeds are based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time (8pm to 10pm) from packages available on comparethemarket.com. Speed can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed to your property prior to purchasing. Fibre/cable services at your postcode are subject to availability. You can confirm availability on the provider's website. Providers may increase charges. You should have the right to exit your contract without penalty if this happens. The information is provided and maintained by Decision Technologies Limited.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.