3 bedroom cottage for saleWhitchurch Hill, South Oxfordshire
- Charming detached two/three bedroomed thatched period cottage in rural village location
- Enjoying delightful mature gardens and benefiting from a heated ?in ground? swimming pool
- Attractive fitted Shaker-style kitchen and Sitting Room with feature gas log-effect fireplace
- Ample Off-road parking and garage with workshop to the rear
A charming detached thatched period cottage believed to originally date back to the 1600’s sympathetically extended and modernised in more recent years, situated in a cherished hilltop hamlet at the southern edge of the Chiltern Hills on the North bank of the River Thames opposite Pangbourne easily accessible for Pangbourne, mainline trains for London, Reading and the M4.
Pangbourne & mainline station - 2 miles
Goring-on-Thames - 3.5 miles
Reading - 6 miles
Newbury - 14 miles
Oxford - 17 miles
Henley on Thames - 11 miles
M4 at Theale (J12) - 8 miles
M40 at Lewknor (J6) - 17 miles
* Period Cottage in Rural Village Location
* Dining Hall
* Inner Hall
* Sitting Room
* Family Room / 3rd Bedroom
* Garden/Utility Room
* Family Bathroom
* 2nd Bedroom
* Galleried Landing
* Master Bedroom With Dressing Room / Study
* Secluded Gardens & Grounds
* Heated Swimming Pool
* Gravelled Driveway
Whitchurch Hill is a quiet, hilltop village lying some 450’ above sea level on the edge of the Chilterns Escarpment close to the Thames Valley approximately 2 miles from Pangbourne with the surrounding countryside designated an “A.O.N.B. “
Traditional timbered and thatched cottages overlook the village green as does the parish church of St John and there are many other period properties reflecting the differing architectural styles through the ages, which essentially form the character and provenance of this unspoilt rural community historically based on agriculture and farming. In Hill Bottom on the Northern edge of the village, is located the well-known Sun Inn, a Free House which has a good reputation for food.
At the bottom of the hill is the separate village of Whitchurch on Thames lying opposite the village of Pangbourne, and which boasts a highly rated Primary School and two popular Inns.
Pangbourne on the Berkshire side of the River offers excellent shopping facilities including a supermarket as well as a wide range of amenities including a mainline railway station with frequent commuter services to Reading and London (Paddington well under the hour). There are good road communications particularly for Reading, Henley on Thames, Oxford, Newbury and both the M40 and M4 motorway networks.
An attractive detached period cottage with brick and flint elevations under a well maintained thatched roof, believed to date originally to the 1600’s. In recent years, the cottage has been sympathetically enhanced, retaining the original character with handcrafted joinery and bespoke fitted kitchen. The property is set well back from the road enjoying delightful mature gardens and benefiting from a heated ‘in ground’ swimming pool to the rear. The cottage also benefits from the availability of high speed fibre optic broadband.
Attractively well-presented and in excellent decorative order, as
illustrated on the accompanying floor plan and featuring the following:
* Gas fired central heating serving radiators
* Wall timbers
* Attractive fitted kitchen of Shaker style with range of base and wall mounted cabinets, granite work surfaces, Belfast sink, range oven, integrated refrigerator/freezer and door to rear paved terrace and pool area
* Sitting room featuring a gas log effect fire place with raised hearth and canopy over
* Family room/bedroom three with gas fired stove and handcrafted fitted storage cabinets with space for TV and music system
* Bedroom two with built-in wardrobe cupboard
* Two bathrooms, both with white suites and featuring hand-held shower attachments over baths
* Utility with plumbing for laundry facilities, Baxi gas fired boiler, Belfast sink and door to patio area and pool
* Attractive dual aspect master bedroom leading to a dressing room/study containing eaves storage area and fitted double cupboard
The Cottage which fronts onto the village road directly opposite the village green and parish church, is set well back with the majority of the garden extending in front. A splayed low brick walled entrance with brick piers and double wrought iron gates, opens onto a gravelled drive leading up to the property with turning and parking bay off to one side.
Flanking the drive are well kept lawns with interesting flower and shrub borders and a number of interesting trees including contorted willow and a pear tree, all providing interest and colour through the year.
Across the front of the cottage there is a paved patio set behind a low brick and flint wall. A pedestrian gate on the North side leads to the rear garden. The drive continues up to the garaging located on the left hand side of the cottage which has a roof projection at the front with a feature side brick wall and archway opening onto the patio terrace.
The Garage has double wooden entrance doors, side window, fitted light and power and narrows at the rear into a Workshop area with fitted shelving and a pedestrian door opening into the rear garden and pool area.
The rear garden has the benefit of the late afternoon and evening sun facing due West. The majority of the garden area is taken up with an ‘in ground’ heated swimming pool together with a large patio area on one side ideally suited for ‘al fresco’ dining.
Along the side of the patio terrace there is a timbered pergola with a trained grapevine and situated in a corner by the pool is a small unit containing the pool equipment and filtration.
The outlook at the rear is across newly planted deciduous woodland which provides a splendid range of colours through the season as well as natural protection.
Services: All mains services are connected. Central heating and hot water from gas fired boiler, located in the utility room.
Council Tax: E
Energy Performance Rating: D / 55
Postcode: RG8 7NY
Local Authority: South Oxfordshire District Council
Telephone: 01235 422422
Strictly by prior appointment through Neville Turner or Warmingham & Co.
From Neville Turner’s offices in the centre of Pangbourne turn into Whitchurch Road by the George Hotel and proceed over the Whitchurch Toll Bridge (60p). Continue through Whitchurch-on-Thames and climb the hill to Whitchurch Hill. Pightle Croft will be found on the left hand side directly opposite the village green, just before the Church.
From Warmingham’s offices in the centre of Goring turn right and proceed up to the top of the High Street, where at the Railway Bridge junction turn right and then next left into Reading Road by the Queens Arms. Continue out of the village up White Hill and in a further 2 miles, on reaching the crossroads at Crays Pond, turn right signposted for Whitchurch and Pangbourne. In a further mile and a quarter on reaching Whitchchurch Hill, Pightle Croft will be found on the right hand side opposite the village green and just after passing the parish church.
The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fittings or services so cannot verify that they are in working order. If required, the client is advised to obtain verification. These particulars are issued on the understanding that all negotiations are conducted through joint sole agents, Neville Turner or Warmingham & Co. Whilst all due care is taken in the preparation of these particulars, no responsibility for their accuracy is accepted, nor do they form part of any offer or contract. Intending clients must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to their accuracy prior to signing a contract.
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-69208010.html?premiumA=true
Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) graphs
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference 27306013. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Neville Turner, Pangbourne. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
* Average speeds are based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time (8pm to 10pm) from packages available on comparethemarket.com. Speed can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed to your property prior to purchasing. Fibre/cable services at your postcode are subject to availability. You can confirm availability on the provider's website. Providers may increase charges. You should have the right to exit your contract without penalty if this happens. The information is provided and maintained by Decision Technologies Limited.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.