3 bedroom apartment for saleWhitlingham Hall, Kirby Road, Norwich, Norfolk
Tenure: Share of Freehold
A magnificent and spacious two storey apartment within this historic Grade II listed country house. The house was converted in 2003 to an extremely high standard and retains many of the period features. The property enjoys its own private roof terrace and use of the wonderful communal gardens and sizeable Orangery.
- Entrance hall
- 2 further inner halls
- Sitting room
- Kitchen/dining room
- Bedroom with en suite
- Master bedroom with en suite
- Bedroom 3
- Family bathroom
- Utility area
- Rood terrace
- Reserved parking space in secure garage
- 2nd reserved parking space
- Visitor parking
- Communal gardens & grounds, in all approx. 7 acres (stms)
- Communal Orangery Grade II*
- Far reaching countryside views
DRIVING DISTANCES (approx.)
- A47 (Southern Bypass) 1 mile
- Norwich 3 miles
- The Broads 11 miles
- Coast 20 miles
Whitlingham Hall is situated about 3 miles from the centre of the city of Norwich. The Hall has easy access to the A47 Norwich southern bypass and this provides connections to the A11 and M11 with access to London, Cambridge or Stansted. The village of Trowse offers several amenities including a bakery, post office, newsagent, primary school, public house, restaurant, dry ski school and the new Whitlingham Broad Country Park.
The Cathedral City of Norwich has a vibrant business community and as the regional centre has an extensive range of cultural and leisure facilities, including the Norwich City football club, the Riverside leisure development complete with cinema and numerous restaurants and pubs. The city has an excellent range of state and private schools and is well known for its excellent shopping with a combination of independent retailers along with a number of premium department stores. Norwich has a mainline railway station with a service to London Liverpool Street and the expanding Norwich International Airport is just to the north of the city.
The Norfolk Broads and the Norfolk and Suffolk coasts which are renowned for their sandy beaches, bird reserves and sailing facilities are all in easy driving distance. In addition, there are a number of golf courses, country clubs and health clubs nearby.
Whitlingham Hall was built in 1865 to the design of H E Coe in the Elizabethan style for the Norwich banker Sir Robert Harvey. It then passed in to the hands of the Colman family, the mustard manufacturers. It was extended in 1882 and remained the family home until the 1950’s. In 2003, the PJ Livesey Group, converted Whitlingham Hall into several apartments and houses. The Grade II listed Hall stands in landscaped gardens and grounds of about 7 acres.
Whitlingham Hall is an imposing Victorian Grade II listed building which has been transformed into eight magnificent apartments. The property is approached over a long driveway through electric gates, providing a secure gated community. All the apartments in the hall share the magnificent panelled entrance hall with video security entry system and have their own direct access to the conservatory. The apartments have been converted to the highest standard and apartment 6 has the benefit of Karndean floors throughout most of the halls and reception rooms and top-quality carpets on the staircases, in the drawing room and the bedrooms. A feature of this apartment is the magnificent views across the surrounding parkland towards the city with distant views of Norwich Cathedral.
Situated on the first floor, apartment 6 is approached either by the lift which services all three floors or the elegant staircase leading off the inner hall with its superb oak panelling, wonderful fire places and outstanding plasterwork ceilings and cornice work.
The accommodation of the apartment comprises a front door leading off the first-floor landing. The front door opens into the entrance hall with black and white Karndean floor, storage and hanging space for coats and door to main hall with stairs to the first floor, shelved under stairs cupboard, Karndean floor and door to bedroom 2 with en suite shower room, lovely views and door to inner lobby with Karndean floor. A cloakroom with half tiled walls, WC and wash hand basin is located off the inner hall with the kitchen/dining room beyond. This is a fabulous room with fine views, an extensive range of Farrow & Ball kitchen painted cabinets with granite worktops, fully tiled surround, island unit with granite worktop and inset sink, integrated double oven, gas hob, microwave, dishwasher and fridge freezer. There is a further range of matching cabinets incorporating a wine cooler and frost-free freezer. The flooring is Karndean, there is decorative cornicing and there is a large dining area and sitting area. The halls, landing and kitchen have custom-made radiator cabinets, which are an attractive feature.
The sitting room is a most impressive room with dual aspect and fine views over the gardens and surrounding parkland towards Norwich and the Cathedral with large bay window, open fireplace with York stone surround and top of the range Jotul cream enamel gas log burner (available, but subject to separate negotiation), cornice and ceiling roses and built-in entertainment units which are a particular striking feature within the room.
Stairs from the main hall lead up to the landing with airing cupboard which also houses the boiler and pressurised hot water cylinder. The master bedroom is a fine room with an extensive range of fitted wardrobes, cupboards and drawers, with central cupboard for television and sound system. Window seat and door to en suite shower room with built in cabinets and sink, WC, heated towel rail and large frame less shower cubicle. Bedroom 3 has a range of fitted wardrobes and lovely open views. The family bathroom comprises half tiled walls and tiled floor, bath with mixer tap and hand shower attachment, wash hand basin, heated towel rail and WC. There is a utility area with cupboard for housing a freestanding appliance and a further cupboard providing additional storage. Stairs with storage cupboard below lead up to the roof terrace and there is a door giving access out to the main landing.
The Roof Garden is a most attractive feature and has ipe hardwood decking with surrounding balustrade and holders for planters. It is an ideal and totally private roof garden in which to entertain friends.
The Hall stands in 7 acres of landscaped gardens and grounds which are for the use of all residents and includes a large lake with fountain. In addition, residents have the use of the beautiful orangery. There is one reserved parking space to the front of the property in the car park and a second space is reserved in the secure underground garage. Visitor parking spaces are also available.
South Norfolk Council, Band: F, Annual cost: £2,633.91 (2017/18)
The property is leasehold, with 982 years remaining. Around 45 of the 56 properties equally own the Freehold and this share would be transferred to the new owner.
The annual service charge is £4,800.00.
Mains water, electricity, gas & drainage
Curtains, carpets, blinds and free-standing matching furniture are available by separate negotiation.
From Norwich proceed out on the A146 Lowestoft Road. Proceed under the southern bypass and at the last set of traffic lights, turn left signposted to Kirby Bedon and Bramerton. Take the first drive on the left and follow this for approximately ½ mile and the entrance to Whitlingham Hall can be found on the right-hand side. Enter via the security gates and parking can be found in front of the main hall.
1. These particulars have been prepared in good faith as a general guide, they are not exhaustive and include information provided to us by other parties including the seller, not all of which will have been verified by us.
2. We have not carried out a detailed or structural survey; we have not tested any services, appliances or fittings. Measurements, floor plans, orientation and distances are given as approximate only and should not be relied on.
3. The photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current, aspects may have changed since the photographs were taken. No assumption should be made that any contents are included in the sale.
4. We have not checked that the property has all necessary planning, building regulation approval, statutory or regulatory permissions or consents. Any reference to any alterations or use of any part of the property does not mean that necessary planning, building regulations, or other consent has been obtained.
5. Prospective purchasers should satisfy themselves by inspection, searches, enquiries, surveys, and professional advice about all relevant aspects of the property.
6. These particulars do not form part of any offer or contract and must not be relied upon as statements or representations of fact; we have no authority to make or give any representation or warranties in relation to the property. If these are required, you should include their terms in any contract between you and the seller.
7. Viewings are strictly by prior appointment with sole agents Jackson-Stops. If there is any point which is of particular importance to you, we invite you to discuss this with us, especially before you travel to view the property.
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-73802216.html?premiumA=true
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference NOR170324. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Jackson-Stops, Norwich. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
* Average speeds are based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time (8pm to 10pm) from packages available on comparethemarket.com. Speed can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed to your property prior to purchasing. Fibre/cable services at your postcode are subject to availability. You can confirm availability on the provider's website. Providers may increase charges. You should have the right to exit your contract without penalty if this happens. The information is provided and maintained by Decision Technologies Limited.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.