3 bedroom detached house for saleMill Hill, Swaffham Prior, Cambridge, CB25
- Rare example of an early 19th Century Renovated and extended vertical boarded Smock Mill
- Maintained by traditional wheelwrights most recently the sails were replaced (in 2017)
- Air source heat pump
- Predominantly ground floor accommodation with further potential (STPP)
- Panoramic views particularly from the upper floor
Grade II listed converted former Windmill with far reaching views, versatile accommodation and integral double garage/workshop with potential (STPP & LBC).
• Many attractive period properties and the village is well known for its neighbouring churches with interesting towers, once serving separate parishes despite their close proximity to each other.
• Local facilities including The Red Lion public house, village hall, and primary school.
• More comprehensive facilities are located in the nearby villages of Swaffham Bulbeck and Burwell.
• The University City of Cambridge is about 8 miles to the south west where there is excellent schooling, shopping and a diverse range of recreational facilities.
• Newmarket, the home of English racing, is just over 6 miles to the East.
• For the commuter there is access onto the A14 at Stow cum Quy (about 6 miles) together with connections to the A11/M11 and Stansted Airport. There are railway stations at Newmarket, Whittlesford, Waterbeach and Cambridge – serving either London’s Liverpool Street and/or Kings Cross Stations.
The Smock Tower Mill is a fascinating example of a former windmill - unusually one of two mills in the same village. Understood to have last been in working order in the 1920s, the listing description suggests that it dates from the early 19th century with vertical timber framed and weather-boarded elevations on a brick plinth all beneath a domed metal cap (which has been replaced in more recent years).
Having undergone a considerable restoration and conversion programme, the property now has three lozenge shaped weather-boarded and tiled octagonal “pods” with glazed links which connect them to the original structure.
Listed Grade II as being of historical and architectural interest, the sails have been replaced (but are not now operational although they can still be “turned” annually as required) and the fantail is accessible from the upper floor.
The accommodation - including the pods - is principally on the ground floor and one of the large cog wheels has been cut in two to create the semi-circular steps to the front door. The reception/dining hall is a spectacular space with stairs to the first floor reception room/bedroom 3 with substantial exposed ceiling timbers, wooden flooring and step ladder access to the upper floor mezzanine study/studio. Here there are four small windows and a loft trap to an upper area in turn providing access to the platform (and panoramic views).
To the right of the reception hall is the kitchen/breakfast room fitted with a range of cupboards and drawers, fitted dishwasher, space for a fridge/freezer and range style cooker and door to the rear garden.
Beyond is the sitting room which overlooks the larger part of the garden with two sets of French doors, and triple aspect windows. The left hand “pod” comprises a utility room with plumbing for washing machine, cloakroom and door to the double garage/workshop with storage loft over.
To the rear of the hall are two bedrooms - the larger having a walk-in wardrobe with French doors to the garden and a family bathroom with an oval bath and separate shower.
Outside, there is an in-and-out drive and grassed area to the front with some hedging along the front boundary. To the rear is a delightful courtyard garden with a paved terrace, gravel and ornamental planting. The majority of the garden is to the far side mainly laid to lawn with, we understand, a wild flower area. Within the garden is a Summer House and a hot tub (near the bedroom “wing”).
Square Footage: 1,928 sq ft
The vendors rent the paddock immediately opposite the mill and would be happy to enquire whether the landlords would be prepared to enter a similar arrangement with a new owner of The Smock Tower Mill.
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-76725791.html
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference CLI183128. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Savills, Cambridge. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
* Average speeds are based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time (8pm to 10pm) from packages available on comparethemarket.com. Speed can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed to your property prior to purchasing. Fibre/cable services at your postcode are subject to availability. You can confirm availability on the provider's website. Providers may increase charges. You should have the right to exit your contract without penalty if this happens. The information is provided and maintained by Decision Technologies Limited.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.