3 bedroom detached house for saleHerra, Shetland, Shetland Islands, ZE2 9BL
- Attractive former school house near to main amenities in Mid Yell
- Surrounded by mature lawn
- Several outbuildings including two garages
- Very attractive setting
- Ideal as permanent residence or would make an ideal holiday home
In addition to two / three bedrooms, the single storey accommodation which enjoys a westerly aspect, also comprises a living room, kitchen & shower room. The house is surrounded by a mature lawn and there are several outbuildings including two garages, both with power, one having an inspection pit, several smaller stores and a greenhouse.
Windows in the property are double glazed and central heating is provided by an oil-fired boiler, however the property would benefit from modernisation which is reflected in the price. Nonetheless it would make an ideal holiday home given its attractive setting, or it could be used on a permanent basis.
'Hamarlea' is situated on the west side of the island of Yell, the larger of Shetland's North Isles, which lies between Mainland Shetland to the south and the neighbouring island of Unst to the north. The island measures about 19 miles long by 7.5 miles wide and has a population of around 950. A regular ro-ro ferry service (crossing time approximately 20 minutes) connects Yell with Mainland Shetland running throughout the day from Ulsta about 10 miles from the house, to Toft, about 10 minutes from Brae & Sullom Voe, and about 27 miles north of Lerwick.
The main amenities on the island can be found at nearby Mid Yell, the main population centre, which lies about three miles north of the house, where there is a primary school, excellent leisure centre & swimming pool, medical centre, shop, care centre, pier & boating club.
The Shetland Islands themselves lie in the middle of the North Sea about 100 miles north of Mainland Scotland and are in fact closer to Bergen in Norway than to Edinburgh. Despite the remote 'get-away from-it all' location, the mainland is still easily accessible via a daily overnight ferry service which links Shetland with Aberdeen & Orkney ( or there are regular flights from Sumburgh airport at the very southern tip of Shetland, to Aberdeen, Edinburgh & Glasgow (
The property comprises the original school and school house, the living room, two bedrooms and shower room being in the former school house, the former school room now housing the kitchen and a third bedroom / multi-purpose room. Windows are double glazed and central heating is provided by an external oil-fired boiler.
The property is being sold in its current condition and no warranties will be given in respect of any contents or services.
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference 514404GM. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Harper Macleod, Shetland. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
* Average speeds are based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time (8pm to 10pm) from packages available on comparethemarket.com. Speed can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed to your property prior to purchasing. Fibre/cable services at your postcode are subject to availability. You can confirm availability on the provider's website. Providers may increase charges. You should have the right to exit your contract without penalty if this happens. The information is provided and maintained by Decision Technologies Limited.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.