Help to Buy is made up of two schemes:
With a deposit of 5%, the Help to Buy Equity Loan scheme allows you to borrow an additional 20% of the purchase price of the property from the government; the loan is interest-free for the first 5 years
We have built this tool to help you calculate how much a property within the scheme will cost you. Please enter the deposit you have and we will let you know the amount of the loan you would be entitled to under the scheme, the mortgage you would need and a property price.
Step 1: Enter a deposit amount (up to a maximum of £30,000)
Under the scheme:
- Government loan
Step 2: Search for Help to Buy properties
What properties are included?
To qualify for the scheme, Help to Buy properties must be:
- Priced below £600,000
- Full ownership
- New build
- In England - this scheme currently excludes Wales and Scotland
The Government Equity Loan scheme is only available from approved, participating house builders, many of whom advertise on Rightmove.
To find Help to Buy properties on Rightmove use our new homes search.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for a Help to Buy Equity Loan property, you must:
- Be able to demonstrate access to savings or funds to pay, if required, a deposit (which may be between 5% and 55% of the purchase price, legal fees, stamp duty and costs of moving)
- Be purchasing a property costing £600,000 or less
- Have a good credit history
- Take out any mortgage with a qualified lender (e.g. a bank or building society)
- Remove your name(s) from any other property deed prior to or at the point of completion of your new property if you are a home-owner wishing to buy a larger property for your family
How do I apply?
- Search for Help to Buy properties on Rightmove using the tool above
- Contact the property's developer for further details and to arrange viewings
- Contact your local Home Buy Agent to confirm eligibility
This scheme will be available from January 2014.
If you're looking to buy a residential property with as little as a 5% deposit, the Help to Buy Mortgage Guarantee scheme could help you purchase your dream home.
From January 2014, Mortgage Guarantee will aim to increase the availability of mortgages for buyers with small deposits. The Government will look to provide £12billion in guarantees, which could enable up to £130billion in higher loan-to-value mortgages (subject to the final scheme design).
The Help to Buy Mortgage Guarantee scheme is available:
- On both new build and previously owned properties up to £600,000 in value
- To first-time buyers and existing home-owners
- From January 2014 - further details will be provided by the Government