This property has been removed by the agent.It may be sold or temporarily removed from the market View similar properties
10 bedroom detached house for sale
Craigellachie, Aberlour, Moray
Arndilly House with 4 superb receptions rooms, 10 principal bedrooms with bathrooms and large kitchens.
Secondary accommodation to include the 3-bedroom Caretaker's Cottage and 2-bedroom Gardener's Cottage.
Extensive stone outbuildings; Kennels; Log Cabin; Walled Garden; Wooded Policies; Grazing Land.
Arndilly House is a spectacular mansion house surrounded by sweeping lawns flanked by mature trees and rhododendrons. The front door is approached through a stunning porte-cochére which opens to a superb entrance hall leading to a circular stair hall with a magnificent cantilevered staircase. The four principal reception rooms are magnificent and have a wealth of period detail with panelled ceilings, decorative cornices, open fireplaces and astragalled windows. The majority of the bedrooms have en-suite facilities and have benefitted from a modernisation programme over the last twenty years. The rooms are as shown on the floor plans and in addition there is a third floor with two bedrooms and a bathroom with coombed ceilings and various large store rooms.
The Caretaker's Cottage forms the eastern wing of the courtyard to the rear of the house and has three bedrooms.
The Gardener's Cottage lies below the walled garden and is an attractive stone and slate property with accommodation over two floors comprising hall, living room, dining room, kitchen, WC, porch, 2 bedrooms and a bathroom
To the north of the Gardener's Cottage is a lovely timber log cabin beneath a slate roof.
To the east of the Gardener's Cottage is a range of garages and storage sheds.
Arndilly House has a stunning situation on the east bank of the River Spey, one of Scotland's premier salmon rivers. The house faces south east with views across the river to the surrounding countryside and Ben Rinnes in the distance.
The property is about 1.5miles from Craigellachie which provides every day facilities. Aberlour (4 miles) has both primary and secondary schools, a supermarket and health centre. Elgin which lies about 14 miles to the north offers a comprehensive range of high street shops, tourist facilities and businesses. To the north of Elgin there is the renowned Gordonston School.
Despite being surrounded by beautiful countryside Ardnilly is well served by A class roads with the A95 connecting into the A9 which is the main north-south arterial route. There are mainline railway stations at Elgin, Inverness, Aviemore and Aberdeen. Inverness Airport (46 miles) and Aberdeen Airport (61 miles) have scheduled flights to a number of UK and European destinations.
The surrounding countryside offers a wealth of opportunities for the field sport enthusiast with pheasant and grouse shooting available for rent locally in addition to red and roe deer stalking and salmon fishing on the Spey and a number of its tributaries. There are a number of golf courses in the area and skiing during the winter months at the Lecht and Cairngorm Mountain resort.
Arndilly House dates from circa 1770 but was substantially re-modelled by the Elgin architect William Robertson in 1826 and again in 1850 by Thomas Mackenzie when the impressive porte-cochére was added to the front of the house along with the circular terrace built over the single storey drum shaped western wing. The terrace being reached either from the Drawing Room or a curved balustraded stair.
Arndilly House originally belonged to the Grant family and passed by marriage to the MacDowall Grants with Hay MacDowall Grant being responsible for much of the remodelling of the house on his return from the West Indies where he amassed a fortune in the slave trade. Subsequently the house passed to the Stuart-Menzies family who eventually sold the Estate to the Honourable AG Samuel of London. In the last two decades the estate has been divided up into smaller parcels.
Forming the arched entrance to the rear courtyard is an attractive range of stone and slate outbuildings which provide garaging and storage and formerly included a staff flat.
Gardens and Grounds:
Arndilly House sits in beautiful parkland with many fine specimen beech and oak trees. To the south of the house is a grass field with walks leading to the sheltered partly walled garden which is situated on a south west facing slope and features extensive lawns, topiary, herbaceous borders, fruit trees and a vegetable garden.
In addition to the formal policies there are good quality grazings extending to about 10 acres which are currently let to a local farmer.