This property has been removed by the agent.It may be sold or temporarily removed from the market View similar properties
5 bedroom detached house for sale
Newington House, Cupar, Fife
- Georgian country house
- Set in beautiful walled garden
- 4 reception rooms & office
- 5 bedrooms
- 4 bathrooms
Newington House is set in 2.3 acres of walled gardens and grounds in the rolling hills of North Fife.
North Fife is an attractive rural area close to the Tay Estuary with rolling green hills. The county is favoured for country sports with some fine pheasant shoots and the Fife Hunt is the most northerly pack of fox hounds in the UK. There is both National Hunt racing and polo just beyond Perth at Scone which also hosts the Scottish Game Fair. Perth is a gateway to the highlands and there is hill walking, skiing and water sports just to the north. Cupar is a thriving market town which provides all essential local facilities including a good range of shops, professional services and supermarkets. Perth, Dundee and St Andrews are within 20 miles. Good private schooling for all ages is available
at St Leonards in St Andrews and Dundee High School. Glenalmond, Strathallan, Kilgraston (girls) and Craigclowan (preparatory) are all near Perth. St Andrews and Dundee have renowned universities. Newington House is 14 miles from St Andrews which is famous world wide as the Home of Golf and is a regular host to the Open Championship.
There are many other golf courses in Fife including nearby Ladybank, which is used for qualifying rounds prior to the Open Championship at St Andrews. Gleneagles and Carnoustie are both within easy reach. Despite its rural setting Newington House is very well placed for Edinburgh and Edinburgh Airport. The A92 is dual carriageway from Glenrothes to the M90. Edinburgh Airport is on the near side of the city and is readily accessible. There is a railway station at Cupar on the main east coast line with regular services to Edinburgh and connections onto London. There is also a direct service to London from Leuchars.
Newington House is a charming Georgian house set in an outstanding walled garden and surrounded by its own policies and trees. The house was formerly part of Newington Farm which was formed in 1825 when the Inglis brothers divided the estate of Colluthie between them. The status of these gentleman farmers means that the house (built in 1828) is of some stature and is set well away from the farm buildings which are further along the road.
The house has a attractive entrance faÃ§ade with decorative stonework to the corners and windows. It is listed Category B. The accommodation is arranged over four floors including a basement. The ground floor comprises the formal reception rooms which are accessed from a central hall, whilst the
working parts of the house are found towards the rear. The bedrooms are on the first and second floor. There were six bedrooms in all, served by four bathrooms; one of the bedrooms is currently used as a library. Period features include decorative panelling and cornice work, fireplaces and working window shutters. The attractive staircase is also worthy of note. The kitchen is a traditional country kitchen with an Aga.
From Edinburgh follow the A90/M90 north, crossing the Forth Road Bridge. Leave the motorway at Junction 2A signposted Glenrothes and Kirkcaldy. Continue on the A92 through six roundabouts, the last being the Melville Lodges roundabout, following signs for Dundee. Approximately 3 miles after the Melville Lodges roundabout, cross over the junction with the A913, remaining on the A92. After approximately 2 miles, and after passing Luthrie on the left, take the right turn signposted to Moonzie. Newington House is the first house on the left hand side after approximately Â½ mile.