This property has been removed by the agent.It may be sold or temporarily removed from the market View similar properties
6 bedroom detached house for sale
Bearsted, Kent, ME14 4EE
- 5 reception rooms
- Kitchen and utility room
- 6 bedrooms
- 4 bathrooms
- Attached double garage
The house enjoying fine views over the countryside, stands in an elevated position in the lee of Holy Cross church and within a Conservation Area. It is situated on the edge of the historic and sought-after village of Bearsted and, although relatively secluded, is only 300 yards from the picturesque village green with its pond and cricket pitch.
This impressive property is approached from the upper part of a no-through road, over a gravel drive to the front with turning and parking space for several cars. There is an attached barn and double garage with electronic up and over doors.
The village green, with a butcher/ baker/delicatessen, restaurants and pubs, is the centre of Bearsted.
A short distance away, the Ashford Road area provides more shops, a post office, pharmacy, bank and a doctors' surgery.
Bearsted railway station, only Â½ mile from the house, has frequent services to London Victoria (approximately one hour) via Maidstone. Additionally two bus routes connect with the County Town 3 miles to the east.
Junction 8 of the M20 is 2 miles distant linking with the Kent coastal resorts and the Channel Tunnel (28 miles) in one direction and, in the other, joins the M25 for Gatwick, Heathrow, Stansted and City of London airports. On the high speed rail link, the Javelin train stops at Ashford International (17 miles) and Ebbsfleet (20 miles).
The village benefits from football, cricket, bowls and tennis clubs. Other activities include a Choral Society, a Scout group and Guiding. Bearsted golf club and that at the Marriott Tudor Park Hotel and Country Club are both within a mile of the house. The many acres of open space belonging to Bearsted Woodland Trust start at the top of the lane and make for pleasant walks.
Thurnham Infant School (Ofsted rating "outstanding") and Roseacre Primary School (Ofsted rating "good") are on adjacent sites and within walking distance.
There are a number of grammar schools locally including Maidstone Grammar School for Boys, Maidstone Grammar School for Girls and Invicta Grammar School and, slightly further afield, well-recognised grammar schools in Chatham , Rochester and Sittingbourne.
The nearest Preparatory School is at Sutton Valence, which also has a senior school. Other independent schools include Ashford School, The King's School Canterbury, The King's School Rochester, Cobham Hall, Benenden and Tonbridge Schools.
The Old Vicarage is a substantial early Victorian property with painted brick elevations and solid wood sash windows set under a Kent peg tile roof. This beautifully presented family home offers high ceilings with light, spacious, well proportioned accommodation of 4,500 sq ft and is set in established gardens of 0.9 acre. The original character and charm of the interior has been carefully retained and features deep skirting, banisters, windows, shutters and doors all of warm stripped pine. There are picture rails and cornices. Two of the reception rooms have period open fireplaces.
- The front door leads via the entrance vestibule, with quarry tile floor and arched leaded windows, to the hallway. In the hall are the handsome principal staircase to the first floor and doors to the main reception rooms and to the attached double garage.
- The drawing room has a huge window overlooking the lawns and a traditionally decorative tiled fire surround with gas fire.
- The dual aspect dining room, with French doors opening onto the garden, has alcoves set in the walls and a fireplace with open fire.
- The cosy study has a slate fireplace with pine mantle and gas fire. There is a large window overlooking the main terrace.
- The double aspect sitting room features high windows with a square bay to the front, a stone fireplace with open fire and a second door leading through to the kitchen.
- The kitchen is fully fitted with pretty bespoke solid pine wall and base units under granite and wood worktops. The layout has been well designed and incorporates a central island of varying heights with a shelf, drawers, cupboards and inlaid granite for pastry and hot pans. The integral appliances include dishwasher, refrigerator, electric double oven and gas hob. The outlook from the kitchen window is over the vegetable garden to the hills beyond.
- The breakfast room, interconnected through an archway from the kitchen, has Victorian wall tiles at dado height, fireplace with gas fire, two windows and a 3/4 glazed door that leads onto the terrace. A further door leads through to a corridor off which there is the downstairs cloakroom and access to the cellar.
- Next door to the kitchen there is a spacious utility/drying room with butler sink, boiler and plumbed laundry facilities. The naturally cold walk-in larder faces north and has original quarry tiled flooring, painted slate shelving, meat hooks and game safe.
- From the utility room a door leads to a brick floored boot room/store with further doors out to the front of the house and into the attached barn. This has solid wooden double doors to the front, unglazed windows to one side, two lock-up sheds to the other and an open end , all under cover of a pitched Kent peg tile roof and an excellent area for a variety of uses.
- From the first floor galleried landing at the top of the main staircase, bedroom 3 has a basin whilst bedroom 2 has an en suite shower room and fitted wardrobe. Both enjoy fine views across the garden to the woods beyond. One of the family bathrooms, with hot water tank and airing cupboard, is in this part of the house.
- Through an archway there is a half landing leading to the master bedroom which is dual aspect having a high ceiling with gracious shaped pine beams and a corner unit with basin.
- At one end of the back landing is the secondary staircase flanked by tall linen cupboards on the first and ground floors. The other end leads to the second family bathroom. Bedrooms 4, 5, and 6 are to be found in this section of the house. Again they are all doubles, have fitted wardrobes and expansive views to the North Downs. Bedroom 4 comes with an en suite shower room and bedroom 5 has a basin.
Outside and Gardens
The gardens at The Old Vicarage have panoramic views to the North Downs and privacy is provided by mature boundaries and fencing. Laid mainly to lawn and planted with trees, shrubs, neatly edged herbaceous borders, a "secret garden" with symmetrical beds surrounded by a magnificent yew hedge and a rose covered pergola walkway. Brick paths and steps lead to patio areas and join differing levels.
Of the three patios, that closest to the house forms a wide terrace immediately outside the breakfast room and is ideal for al fresco dining and entertaining.
The large, productive and well maintained kitchen garden is bordered by cordon and espalier fruit trees. It is enclosed and part-walled with access along a wide brick path to a greenhouse.
6 Bedrooms (2 with en suite shower rooms)
2 Family bathrooms
Attached double garage
Leaving the M20 motorway at Junction 8, take the third exit for Maidstone East and Lenham. At the next roundabout, the second exit is the A20 to Bearsted and, after about a mile, turn right signposted to Bearsted Green/Thurnham. At The Oak on the Green P.H. turn immediately left and follow this road up into Church Lane. The property will be found on the left hand side just before the Church.