This property has been removed by the agent.It may be sold or temporarily removed from the market View similar properties
4 bedroom detached house for sale
Hampton Court, East Molesey, Surrey KT8 9AP
- Grade II* listed
- 5 reception rooms
- 4 bedrooms/staff flat
- About 2.27 acres
- Consent for major extension
Situated on historic Barge Walk between The River Thames and Hampton Court Palace, the property enjoys views over the adjoining 560 acres of the Palace Home Park, with its deer herd and 18 hole golf course. There are also views to the South West and the river and to the North and the magnificent palace with its 60 acres of gardens and grounds. Whilst nearby Kingston on Thames and Richmond have excellent shopping, Central London is 12.5 miles away. The M4, M25 and M3 motorways, together with Heathrow and Gatwick International Airports, as well as Farnborough with its facilities for private planes and charter services, are all within easy driving distance. Hampton Court and Kingston stations offer excellent rail services to London (Waterloo) from approximately 30 minutes. Racing is nearby at Ascot, Windsor, Kempton Park and Sandown.Polo is at Ham House in Petersham and Guards at Windsor, golf is at neighbouring Hampton Court Park Golf Course as well as close by at Sunningdale, Wentworth and The Berkshire. The property is ideally situated for some of the country's top independent schools, including Eton College, Heathfield School and St Mary's School Ascot as well as the ACS International Schools. Hampton Court Palace is home of the world's largest flower show held annually, normally in July.
The location of Hampton Court Palace, including the Pavilion, was attractive from early times as the site is mentioned in the Domesday Book.Early in the sixteenth century, the property on the site was part of the estate of Cardinal Wolsey who entertained the King and Queen frequently, and Henry Vlll requisitioned the house from him in 1528. The majestic setting of the site, with its panoramic views overlooking both the Thames on one side and countryside on the other and commanding a pivotal position on a loop in the river, must have been overwhelmingly desirable to the Monarch, and Henry began works which would make it the largest Royal Palace in the country outside London. In the decade which followed, he developed the estate to cater for his sport and leisure pursuits which included a bowling alley and tennis courts. Following monarchs, including Mary, Elizabeth, James l and Charles l, used it occasionally but it is clear from the new facilities created that Hampton Court had become a place of recreation and pleasure. Another of the new facilities was an early bowling green, constructed by 1636, which was to provide the forerunner for the one upon which 'The Pavilion' is sited. Even Oliver Cromwell succumbed to the delights of Hampton Court, which he selected as his country residence and when the monarchy was restored, only Hampton Court and Whitehall were chosen as the King's residences. William lll's accession signalled the beginning of a new era for Hampton Court Palace and, in particular, the Pavilions. His contribution was to create the largest formal garden in England at the time. It exhibited the walks and parterres interspersed with water features which could be viewed from the terraces or enjoyed by promenades, horse or carriage rides. Existing features in the landscape were framed at the end of vistas or were linked by avenues lined with trees. The concept was inspired by Louis XlV's Marly Estate where satellite Pavilions were set at the end of routes which radiated from the main house. The Bowling Green and its then four Pavilions, located at the end of a pleasant carriage drive along the river, exhibited many of these desirable features. Sir Christopher Wren oversaw developments at Hampton Court and under him worked several notable architects including William Talman who was responsible for the design of the Pavilions. Constructed of brick with stone dressings and slate hipped roofs decorated with urns and pineapples, they were completed in 1702, to great acclaim. The Bowling Green became a favoured destination following a walk or ride along the Terrace where bowling and other leisure pursuits could be enjoyed in a less formal and less restrained atmosphere. It is thought to have provided the setting for Alexander Pope's poem, 'The Rape of the Lock'. The Pavilion is the one remaining of the original four which were constructed and it has had several notable residents. It has been extended over the years from its original size which has changed its character from a pleasure Pavilion to a fine residence.
The Pavilion is a very pretty Grade II* Listed house dating back to 1700 with a considerable royal heritage. Constructed of red brick under a tile roof, the accommodation is found over three principal floors with further attic and cellar storage space. The house has many beautiful features including oak doors and solid brass door furniture with the original keys and key hole plates monogrammed with the royal cipher of William III. The fireplaces in the drawing room and dining room, with their firebacks, including one believed to date back to the reign of Charles I when it was salvaged from the Palace, are also of particular note, as are the stone and wooden returning staircase, sash windows and working shutters, cornicing, panelling and oak flooring. The current owner has employed an American artist to decorate the lower ground floor rear hall and family room and ground floor cloakroom. The house enjoys extensive cupboard and shelving space throughout in the domestic offices, reception rooms and bedroom accommodation.
Lower Ground Floor
Well appointed kitchen/breakfast room overlooking the parterre with Aga and modern appliances as well as dumb waiter to the dining room above; family room, with polished limestone floor and hand decorated ceiling, walls and built in cupboards; utility with laundry appliances; study; rear hall with hand decorated walls; cloakroom and wine cellar, one with plant equipment, the other with a facility to store approximately 2,000 wine bottles.
Main entrance off raised terrace with hand decorated cloakroom; dining room with fully panelled walls, original marble fireplace with limestone walls and hearth and original fireback; drawing room with triple aspect over the Park, parterre and gardens, large marble fireplace with original cast iron back and library overlooking the gardens with fully panelled walls and original cornicing.
Master bedroom overlooking the parterre and River Thames with cast iron hob fireplace, marble mantelpiece, surround and hearth and extensive fitted wardrobes; en suite bathroom; a further guest suite with cast iron hob grate fireplace with marble slips and hearth and wooden mantelpiece, built in wardrobe and panelled wall and bathroom and third bedroom.
Bedroom and en suite shower room and large attic store and further plant.
Staff accommodation of two bedrooms and two bathrooms sit above the former garages. A staff kitchen, a secondary kitchen, sitting room and storage space are now below
Gardens & Grounds
The house is approached from Barge Walk, through double wrought-iron gates and a tarmac and gravel drive with parking for several cars and its own ornate gate to the park. The gardens, which adjoin the Palace Park, are planted with many specimen trees and shrubs, with old brick walls,iron railings, stone steps, wrought iron gates and a brick loggia. A parterre, opening off the ground floor, is planted with box hedging surrounded by mature Yew hedging with an ornamental pond and fountain.
Planning and Listed Building Consent
The Pavilion is Listed Grade II* as being of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. The London Borough of Richmond Upon Thames granted Planning Permission and Listed Building Consent in March 2011 for the demolition of the garage/staff accommodation building and two garden structures (greenhouse and gazebo). An extension to the existing house exterior, plus the rebuilding of further accommodation where one of the original pavilions was located, has been approved together with an underground link in the terrace between the two houses. Two further new summerhouses have also been approved in the application which will reinstate the original vista from Hampton Court Palace through the site. Associated landscape works to include levelling of the lawn to reflect original bowling green design, planting schemes, hard landscaping, tree planting and replacement of damaged railings, were also approved. See the website for further details www.richmond.gov.uk (Application No: 10/1277) NB. Please note that we have used Computer Generated Images throughout this part of the book.
Tenure: The property is held on a 150 year Crown Lease dating from 23rd July 2000.
From London, take the A3 and exit at the turning signposted to Esher (A307). Follow this road until you reach the 'Scilly Isles' double roundabout and then turn right onto Hampton Court Way (A309). Continue on the A309 past Hampton Court Railway Station (on the right) and then cross Hampton Court Bridge. Please note that immediately on the right there is a turning signposted 'No Entry'. This road is Barge Walk and runs parallel to the River Thames and Hampton Court Palace. Proceed up to the next roundabout (just after the entrance to the Palace) and then double back on yourself and turn left down Barge Walk. The Pavilion will be found on the left after about one mile, just before a barrier in the road.