7 bedroom detached house for saleBRAUNTON, Devon
Park Farm takes its name from a deer-park on the site of the present farm, owned by the Cistercian Abbey of Cleave in Somerset. It was the home farm of the manor of Braunton Abbots, granted to Cleave by Henry III in 1229 and held by them until the dissolution of the Abbey in 1536. Park is first mentioned by name in a document of 1333 and although the present house is of a much later date, traces of the old building have been found in a field below it. On the west side of Braunton the Great Field is still preserved, one of the only three surviving in England, where strip-cultivation was practised for centuries, each tenant renting one or more of the hundreds of small strips of land. The south-facing slope of the valley on the other side of Braunton where Park Farm stands, once held a smaller strip-field, the East field. Many of the manor lands were subject to the unusual custom of Borough English, where the property was inherited by the youngest son.
Double glazed with mosaic tiled floor and glazed panelled door opening to
With radiator, hand painted flooring, hand painted dado and staircase off to first floor accommodation with cupboard under.
4.25m x 4.2m [1310 x 138] (plus bay). Attractive alcoves with high level cupboards to each side of cast iron Georgian fireplace with tile surround, original timber mantel intact and brass hearth surround. Picture rails. Radiator. Bay window overlooking front garden with views. Wooden panelled door. Stained wooden floorboards. TV Point.
4.3m x 4.25m [142 x 1310]. Light and airy room with stunning Georgian feature fireplace with tiled surround and built-in storage cupboards to alcoves each side. Hand painted frieze below picture rails and above skirting. Bay window with wooden panelled shutters and window seat, overlooking garden and views to Heanton Church. Radiator. Painted floor.
4.3m x 3.9m [142 x 1210]. Original feature of the house with part cobbled, part brick floor, black painted support timbers to white painted cob walls, original meat hangers, original timber shelves, large window, wooden panelled door.
5.65m x 3.9m [186 x 129]. Original room with slate cold shelves, stone floor, high level storage shelves, phone point, hand painted wall and ceiling frieze, wooden panelled door to lounge. Access to:
3.95m x 3.5m [13 x 115]. With BUTLER sink, tiled surround, hot and cold water, plumbing for washing machine, floor standing boiler, built-in understairs cupboard, window and door to courtyard garden. Range of cupboards.
5.65m x 3.9m [186 x 1210] narrowing to 3.5m . With a range of modern fitted kitchen units that include overhead and ground level cupboards, drawer units and work top surfaces. Incorporated within the units is an inset stainless steel single draining sink unit, plumbing for dishwasher, extractor to window, electric cooker point and built-in AIRING CUPBOARD. Large recessed former fireplace now housing oil fired AGA and hand painted wooden shelf over. 2 large windows with window shelves. Hand painted wooden ceiling beams. Part hand painted wooden panelling to ceiling and dado. Telephone point. Wooden panelled door off to secondary staircase and door to:
PRINCIPAL SITTING ROOM
5.2m x 4.45m [171 x 147]. With feature brick surround cast iron fireplace and dado height panelling to some walls. Telephone point. Window seat with wooden panelling underneath and views over adjoining paddock. Hand painted frieze. TV and satellite points. Radiator. Wooden panelled doors off to dairy and hallway. Door to
With storage space and door to:
With low-level WC, wash hand basin, heated towel rail, fully tiled walls and VORTICE extractor. Up the staircase to
With window and window shelf overlooking paddock.
FIRST FLOOR LANDING
Via staircase to spacious landing with radiator, stained wooden floorboards.
4.55m x 3.5m [1410 x 115]. With a range of built-in furniture including wardrobes, bedside cabinets and dressing table. Wash hand basin in vanity unit. Window with views over the paddock. Wooden panelled door. Radiator. Telephone point. TV point.
4.2m x 3.8m [14 x 126]. With cast iron Georgian fireplace, hand pained frieze under picture rails, radiator and stained wooden floors. Stunning views over countryside to Heanton Church through the estuary and river Taw leading to Barnstaple. Wooden panelled door.
3.05m x 2.4m [10 x 710]. With a white suite consisting of a panelled bath, pedestal wash hand basin. Radiator. Picture rail. Hand painted frieze and stained wooden floorboards. Wooden panelled door.
4.25m x 3.8m [14 x 125]. With cast iron Georgian fireplace with mantel over, picture rail, hand painted frieze. Wooden panelled door. Radiator.
4.3m x 3.9m [142 x 129]. With built-in wardrobes, picture rails and stained wooden floorboards. Delightful valley views. Wooden panelled door. Radiator.
4.4m x 3.95m [146 x 1211]. With cast iron Georgian fireplace with mantel over, picture rails. Hand pained frieze. Delightful valley views. Wooden panelled door.
With a coloured suite consisting of a panelled bath with tiled surround and MIRA SPORT shower over, pedestal wash hand basin with tiled surround, mirror and light/shaver socket and low level WC. 2 built-in storage cupboards. Heated towel rail. Hatch to loft space. Radiator. Wooden panelled door.
Thought to be the original servants quarters. With second staircase leading to kitchen.
5.6m x 3.2m [185 x 106]. Built into the eaves with hand painted beamed ceiling and wall frieze. Storage areas, built-in airing cupboard and views over paddock. Stained
wooden floorboards. Wooden panelled door.
3.9m x 3.5m [1210 x 116]. Built into the eaves with hand painted beamed ceiling and hand pained mural. Delightful valley views. Radiator. Wooden panelled door.
The house is accessed via its own private lane giving generous parking and leading to DOUBLE GARAGE (6.7m x 6.1m [22 x 20]) with twin up and over doors with remote control operation, light and power connected. To the rear of the property is a door leading to the courtyard with attractive old stone walls and flower border. Stone built OUTBUILDING housing original spring water supply and slate storage tank (this water is at present piped around the house directly to the adjoining farm) and original wash bowl. Oil storage tank for AGA. The courtyard continues to front of the house where there is a delightful enclosed garden with lawn and well established flowerbeds containing numerous shrubs including rambling roses. Gate to lane.
Steps lead from the rear courtyard to good size enclosed garden with cedar STORE ROOM and aluminium framed GREENHOUSE. ORCHARD/KITCHEN GARDEN (130 x 55 max) with large shrubbery containing a lovely variety of shrubs, soft fruit bushes and various fruit trees.
Gate to ADJOINING PADDOCK of approx. 1 ACRE with further field gate to Lower Park Road. The paddock contains a large mill pond with an island in its middle. The pond has become a haven for wild ducks, moor hens and other birds. Within the pond area is a cedar SUMMER HOUSE positioned to overlook the water and stunning country views beyond.
More information from this agent
To view this media, please visit the on-line version of this page at www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-30876862.html
Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) graphs
Map & Street View
Street View is unavailable in this location
Disclaimer - Property reference 779629. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by John Smale & Co, Barnstaple. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.