This property has been removed by the agent.It may be sold or temporarily removed from the market View similar properties
House for sale
Plots, Blackwood Estate, Blackwood, Lanarkshire ML11 0JG
- 3 Plots available
- Offers over Â£250,000 per plot
- Fully serviced plots
- Set in Victorian parklands
- Beautiful elevated position
The plots occupy a beautiful elevated position in a rural secluded environment within easy reach of modern amenities. The plots are set in original Victorian parklands with a wide range of mature specimen trees and rhododendron lined drives. The estate has a wide diversity of wildlife present, and it is common to see owls, birds of prey, badgers, deer, herons, kingfishers and bats.
Blackwood is a highly accessible yet rural village which offers excellent access to the M74, Glasgow and Edinburgh. The village has a variety of every day shops and two primary schools with a full range of amenities in nearby Strathaven and Hamilton.
The history of Blackwood Estate dates back to the Norman Conquest at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 when the De Vere family arrived in Britain from the Calvados region of France. Ralph De Vere rebelled against Henry II and was taken prisoner alongside Richard the Lionheart in 1174; he subsequently formed an allegiance with King William I of Scotland and was awarded vast tracts of land in Lanarkshire. This land became known as Blackwood Estate, the largest in Lanarkshire.
The Vere name became Weir and is believed to be the origin of the name in Scotland.
In the 1600's the Laird of Blackwood Estate was a supporter of the Covenanters and in May 1685 Covenanter John Broun was shot close to Blackwood House, the martyr's grave is located within the estate.
In 1733 Catherine Weir, heiress of Blackwood Estate married the Honourable Charles Hope and the family name was changed to Hope Vere. In 1810 the family employed John Begg as land steward and he lived on the estate with his wife Isabella, younger sister of Robert Burns.
The policies to the front of the original house were enhanced by the renowned landscape gardener Capability Brown, who introduced a number of specimen trees to the site.
The Hope Veres were a powerful family who entertained royalty and dignitaries with shooting, fishing and curling on the estate. The original Blackwood House was demolished around 1935 following flood damage.
The plots sit in the heart of the Blackwood Estate and comprise a small development of 5 serviced plots with detailed planning permission granted for bespoke, eco villas which will extend to approximately 5000 sq ft. Full details and plans are available from the Agents. Two plots have already been reserved.
From Glasgow, proceed south on the M74, leaving the motorway at Junction 8. At the Junction, turn left following the signs for Blackwood (B7078). Continue along Carlisle Road for approximately 3.5 miles until the 30mph sign on right hand side is passed and turn right into private driveway with two stone gateposts (just before the entrance to Blackwood). Continue along private road and turn left at the Dovecote and the plots are on the right hand side.
Alternatively, continue south along the M74 to junction 9, turn left into the village of Blackwood. Continue north beyond the Taylor Wimpey site, continue over flyover with the gateposts first on the left.