8 bedroom detached house for sale
Hutton Village, Hutton, Brentwood, Essex
like this property?Call 01245 762058
Grade II Listed* in 1958, Hutton Hall is particularly unusual from its front elevation which shows three conjoined parallel gabled ranges under a peg tiled roof and built in English bond narrow red bricks. The house was built in 1720 following a fire and preaches many fine examples of craftsmanship dating through the centuries from the 17th through to the 20th.
The house is arranged over three storeys with all the principal reception rooms and the grand staircase emanating from the impressive 17th century reception hall. The hall is centred on a magnificent fireplace with a carved 17th century surround. The notable drawing room, known as the Blue Room, of double aspect to the rear and side of the house and features 18th century style gothic panelling and centres upon another fine fireplace. The library, situated at the front of the house has wonderful views of the gardens to the front and side of the building and comes complete with floor to ceiling bookshelves. The room has a relaxed yet formal atmosphere.
On the first floor there are 4/5 bedrooms and two bathrooms and include a large room to the front and centre of the house which has been converted into an artist studio. Within the body of the hall there are two self contained flats both with separate access from a metal staircase attached to the side of the building. On the first floor there is a flat with a sitting room, dining room, kitchen, bedroom and bathroom. On the second floor of the hall, the flat has a large drawing room/dining room, three bedrooms, bathroom and study area.
At the back and attached to the hall, although not inter-connecting, is Beadles, a late Victorian extension arranged over two storeys. The house itself comprises of an entrance hall, drawing room, sitting room, dining room, kitchen, study, utility room and cloakroom on the ground floor with four bedrooms and two bathrooms on the first floor.
Gardens and Grounds
Hutton Hall is approached through electronic gates and past the two bedroom Lodge. A sweeping gravelled drive takes you past a large duck pond to the right and the walled garden, which is Listed Grade II in its own right. To the right of the Hall stands the stable block and cart lodge that forms a part courtyard together with double garage. Behind the stable yard, surrounded by a paved terrace, is the outdoor heated swimming pool. The grounds are mainly laid to lawn although there are small areas of woodland to the front of the property. The boundary is part moated and has a line of trees running around it.
Standing centrally in its plot of formal gardens, Hutton Hall is totally screened and private from Hutton Village at the front and the side of the property. It is surrounded on three sides by open undulating countryside, but Shenfield mainline station is less than 2 miles away. Shenfield offers a selection of shops; with the county town of Chelmsford (just 12 miles north) and Brentwood to the south offering a wider variety of shops together with other recreational establishments.
The area boasts a wide selection of schools in the private and state sectors - these include Woodlands, Herrington House and Brentwood Prep schools and Newhall, Felsted and Brentwood public schools. The area is also renowned for its successful grammar schools that include King Edward VI grammar school for boys and Chelmsford County High School for girls.
Transport communications are excellent with access to the A12 just 3 miles away linking to the M25 at junction 28. There is also easy access to the M11 and for the international traveller Stansted and City Airports are 18 miles in each direction. A regular train service to London Liverpool Street from Shenfield Station takes just 22 minutes on a fast service stopping at Stratford station for those working in Canary Wharf.
The house has been on the site of Hutton Hall since the before the Doomsday Book was written and was probably originally a moated farmhouse. William the Conqueror acquired the estate following his successful invasion in 1066 and used the rental income from it to build Battle Abbey in Sussex.
During the peasants revolt in 1381 Jack Straw (leader of the Essex peasants) successfully burnt down the house as part of their protest. During the long reign of King Henry VIII it was acquired by the crown and given to Richard Rich by way of part payment for his notorious betrayal of Sir Thomas Moore, who was later beheaded; however, it is thought that Rich never stayed at the Hall. Over the next century or so the Hall continued to change ownership before it burnt down in 1720. The newly built house was lived in for a time by a governor of the Bank of England until in the 18th century a Colonel Digby Neave of the Indian Army inherited the house; however, it was short lived as he was forced to sell off the Hall's estates to cover death duties. Then, in the early 20th century, the house was owned by the Pilkington glass family who stayed there until the outbreak of the Second World War. During the war it was used to house children evacuated out of London before falling empty again until the current owners' father purchased the Hall in 1960.