This property has been removed by the agent.It may be sold or temporarily removed from the market View similar properties
5 bedroom house for sale
Birch Hill, Shirley Hills, Surrey
- 2/3 reception rooms
- 5 bedrooms
- Beautiful garden
- Double garage with office/gym
- 3,692 sq ft
White Ladies, is set within the private road of Birch Hill. Backing onto the prestigious Addington Palace Golf Course, which also provides opportunities for other sporting and leisure pursuits and is close to The Addington Golf Course (ranked in Golf World's Top 20 out of 100 Courses in Great Britain and Ireland). Addington Village, Shirley and West Wickham High Streets all offer local shopping and, with the tram stop less than one mile away, one can be in central London within approximately 40 minutes, utilising the tram and rail services.
Comprehensive Shopping: Bluewater Shopping Centre, Whitgift and Centrale in Croydon and The Glades in Bromley.
Mainline Rail Services:
Coombe Lane (0.5 miles) to Wimbledon and East Croydon (Tramlink route 3) (also frequent bus services to East Croydon and elsewhere).
South Croydon (2.7 miles) to London Bridge (21 minutes), Victoria, Charing Cross, Clapham Junction and Waterloo East.
East Croydon (3.1 miles) with frequent fast trains to London Bridge (15 minutes), Victoria, Charing Cross and Gatwick Airport (15 minutes). Also Blackfriars, City Thameslink, Kings Cross Thameslink, Clapham Junction and the South Coast.
Primary Schools: Gilbert Scott, Benson, Forestdale, St John's C of E, Selsdon, Applegarth and Spring Park.
Secondary Schools: Selsdon High, John Ruskin College, Shirley High School Performing Arts College, Coloma Convent Girls' School, Archbishop Tenison's C of E, St Andrews C of E, Beckmead and Edenham High.
Independent Schools: Whitgift, Royal Russell, Little David's, Trinity, Rutherford, Croydon High, Old Palace and Hillcrest London.
Motorway Links: The A232 Croydon Road and A21 Hastings Road lead to Junction 4 of the M25 giving access to the Dartford Crossing, Channel Tunnel Terminus, Ebbsfleet International, the South Coast and Bluewater shopping centre. The A23 through Croydon and Purley leads to Junction 7 of the M25 giving access to Gatwick and Heathrow Airports. The A22 via Selsdon and Caterham leads to Junction 8 of the M25.
White Ladies, is a distinctive property, with a wealth of character. Originally built circa 1930, it boasts the striking Art Deco architecture, believed to have been built for Oscar Deutsch (the creator of Odeon cinemas, which were known for their Art Deco designs). Undoubtedly a fine feature of the property is the rear garden, depicting that of a picture, and being one of the few houses within the road that has a level garden. Located in a most sought after area within Shirley Hills, backing onto Addington Palace Golf Course, previously the home of the Archbishop's of Canterbury.
Points of note:
- Some of the Art deco features include rounded structural design and large bay windows, which admit an abundance of natural light.
- Original parquet flooring to the reception hall, dining room and drawing room (the latter currently under carpet).
- Coving, recessed spotlights to some rooms and multi paned double glazed windows throughout.
- The reception hall features a striking curved staircase with an oak balustrade, wrought iron balusters and a floor to ceiling window. Cloak cupboard. Adjoining downstairs cloakroom.
- The double aspect and extensive drawing room is set in a fine position, enjoying beautiful outlooks over the rear garden. Three double doors give access to the verandah, making it an ideal room for entertaining. Features include a generous bay window with seating area and marble fireplace inset with gas flame effect fire. Access to the dining room.
- Double doors upon entry into the dining room. Featuring ceiling rose, a bay window to the rear with central double doors giving access to the garden. Side access to the verandah.
- Well proportioned kitchen/breakfast room with a comprehensive range of wall and base units, incorporating pelmet lighting. Tiled floor and granite work surfaces with fitted sink. Integral appliances include AEG hob (with extractor over), NEFF dishwasher and Creda oven. Space for fridge/freezer and washing machine.
- The kitchen/breakfast room opens onto a useful room, currently used as a study, but would alternatively make an ideal snug/play room.
- The utility room is located off the kitchen/breakfast room and has a side door.
- The master bedroom comprises a bank of fitted wardrobes and a bay window with seating area, enjoying beautiful views over the rear garden. Double side doors give access to a balcony. The en suite benefits from both a bath and shower.
- There are four further bedrooms, all providing built in wardrobes. One bedroom gives access to the master bedroom balcony, while another features a generous bay window, incorporating a seating area and desk unit. There is one en suite shower room, which is ideal for a guest room, giving separate access to the airing cupboard. Access is also provided to the en suite via the hall, benefitting from the use as an additional family bathroom.
- The family bathroom completes the first floor accommodation.
- The front of the property is set behind a raised pillared entrance, providing privacy and security. A driveway with a turning circle around a fine feature water fountain, providing parking for a number of cars. To the perimeter are mature evergreen hedges, trees and planted beds.
- A generous detached double garage, with an electric up and over door, and side access door. Light and power. An attached outside cloakroom is provided, useful if you are entertaining outside. Above the garage, via a separate entrance, is currently an office with a built in base unit, providing a work surface and a fitted sink. The room offers a blank canvas, with the option of it being used as a gym, or the potential of converting into a self-contained flat. Plenty of natural light fills the room, via Velux windows (with electronic blinds) and a feature round window. This is heated by a separate gas combi boiler.
- The exceptional rear garden is truly picturesque, providing seclusion and tranquility. It comprises wrap around patio, large area of lawn and a raised terrace ideal for entertaining. It backs onto Addington Palace Golf Course offering scenic views. The garden is well stocked with beautifully kept topiary, rose beds, shrubs and trees including a range of fruit trees.
- Garden store, providing work surface with plenty of storage space, light and power. Control centre for the garden irrigation system.
- Adjoining dry store provides a floor to ceiling storage rack. It features an underground wine cellar with feature spiral staircase and recessed storage compartments.
- Exterior lighting and water points.
From our offices in Locksbottom turn left onto the A232 Crofton Road, at the traffic lights turn right then immediately left onto the A232 Croydon Road. After approximately 2Â½ miles, take the first exit at the roundabout onto the A2022 Addington Road. Continue straight across the next two roundabouts and, at the fourth, turn right into Gravel Hill. After the road becomes single-carriageway again, turn right into Shirley Hills Road. Take the second road on the right into Birch Hill. White Ladies is the third house on the right hand side.