7 bedroom detached house for sale
Delf View House, Church Street, Eyam, Hope Valley, Derbyshire
like this property?Call 01629 355008
- Late Georgian property
- Grade II listed
- Situated in the heart of the village
- Approximately three acres of gardens and grounds
- Range of useful outbuildings
- Seven bedrooms
- Light, spacious accommodation
- Well presented
- Private driveway
- Lovely views
Tenure: FreeholdFor full details or to view all our properties please visit www.caudwellandco.com
Entrance hall; drawing room; sitting room; dining room; orangery/garden room; kitchen/breakfast room; cloakroom/shower room; seven bedrooms; dressing room; bathroom; shower room (en suite); separate W.C.; box room; cellars; utility room.
Private gravelled driveway; landscaped gardens; field with stone barn; stable and tractor store.
The house is built in a classical style of dressed ashlar stone under a Derbyshire stone roof over three floors and is approached through an imposing pair of gate posts with wrought iron gates leading to a gravelled driveway which sweeps in front of the house around the front lawn. Two steps to the central projected bay lead to an aediculed portico and the front door. The accommodation is then arranged as follows:
Ground floor: A generous hallway gives access to the principal rooms and has an elegant staircase to the first floor. To the left is the drawing room with working fireplace and ornate carved marble 17th century fire surround, two full length windows overlooking the 18th century gardens and a pair of doors opening into the orangery/garden room. To the right is the sitting room, again a lovely light room with two full length windows overlooking the garden, fitted bookcases and a carved pear wood fire surround with working grate. The main hallway opens to the rear into a substantial orangery/garden room which has been used by our clients as an office but which lends itself to a variety of uses. Also to the rear is the atmospheric dining room featuring a beamed ceiling, working fireplace, stone flagged floor and a pair of 14th century doors to the orangery. The kitchen/breakfast room is adjacent to the sitting room and was installed by Smallbone of Devizes; it has a good range of wall and base units, ample granite work surfaces, a marble floor and doors to both the garden and the cellar. There is a range of appliances including a two oven gas fired AGA, Neff integral dishwasher, Neff electric oven, Miele microwave oven, two gas hobs, two electric hobs and a deep fat fryer. Off the kitchen is a utility room/server with access to the dining room. The cellar below the kitchen offers good storage space. To the rear of the main hallway is an inner hall with a cloak/shower room off and there is access to a second large cellar comprising three rooms, one for wine, one for the boiler and one for storage. There is also a second staircase to the first floor.
First floor: The main landing gives access to the master bedroom which has an attractive fireplace, wash hand basin, original working shutters and lovely views over the front garden and beyond. Also to the front is a good guest bedroom again with lovely views, original working shutters and en suite shower room. Between these two rooms is the bathroom with full suite comprising large bath, W.C. and wash hand basin. To the rear of the house are two further double bedrooms, one of which has a 1685 fireplace from the original house. An inner landing passes a separate W.C. and leads back to the front of the house to a good sized dressing/sitting room which in turn opens into a double bedroom overlooking the garden.
Second floor: There are two further double bedrooms and a box room which could conceivably converted to be a shower room (subject to listed building consents).
Outside: To the front of the house is a stone terrace with direct access to the kitchen and then a large area of lawn which has the driveway all the way around it and is flanked by mature trees, a set of steps lead down to a further area of garden overlooking Eyam Delf which is where Rector William Mompesson held Church services during the plague. To the rear of the gardens is further hard standing for cars, a tractor barn and stable and gate leading to the field in which there is also a stone field barn.
It is believed that the original house on the site dated from the mid seventeenth century but that the house was substantially enlarged during the reign of George IV by Marmaduke Middleton Middleton, a High Sherriff of Derbyshire. The house then passed through various hands either as tenants or owners including William Wyatt between 1846 and 1861 and John Daniel Leader in 1887. It then passed at some stage to Duncan Gilmour, a wine and spirits merchant from Sheffield who was living there in 1899 and who in turn passed it onto his daughter Agnes who had married Frederick Dawson, the young international concert pianist described by Sir Sacheveral Sitwell (of Renishaw Hall) as fine a pianist as any Englishman has ever been. Frederick Dawson lived at the house until 1929. From 1930 to 1950 the Mylchreest family owned the property and then from 1950 to 1967 it was owned by the Henderson family after which it went to the White family until our clients acquired the property in 1981.
In accordance with the Misrepresentation Act 1967 and the Property Mis-Description Act 1991, these details have been prepared in good faith; they are not intended to constitute part of an offer of contract. Any information contained herein, whether in the text, plans or photographs is given in good faith but should not be relied upon as being a statement or representation of fact. Any measurements or distances are approximate only.
All viewing is to be strictly by appointment with Caudwell & Co on 01629 810018
EPC Rating - G