This property has been removed by the agent.It may be sold or temporarily removed from the market View similar properties
7 bedroom house for sale
Kennox House, by Stewarton, Kilmarnock, Ayrshire
- 7 bedrooms
- 3 reception rooms
- 4 bathrooms
- Kitchen/laundry room
- Tennis court, paddock
Kennox House sits in magnificent grounds of approximately 25 acres which include mature, manicured gardens, woodland and a paddock. Kennox House enjoys an accessible location within 21 miles of Central Glasgow.
The town of Stewarton has a bustling centre and, despite its relatively small size, is well served with shops, a supermarket, professional services and a fuel station. There is a train station with regular services to Glasgow Central Station (journey time from 30 minutes). There are two primary schools and a well respected secondary school within the town. Private schooling is available at Wellington School in Ayr or at the numerous respected private schools in the south of Glasgow including Hutchesons' Grammar School, Craigholme and Belmont House.
Stewarton has long been associated with the wool trade and for over four centuries has been known as the 'Bonnet Toon', due to its production of bonnets and regimental headgear, in particular Tam o' Shanters.
Ayr, the country town of Ayrshire, provides excellent shopping and professional services. Ayr Racecourse is host to regular race meetings including the Scottish Grand National.
The Ayrshire coast is famous worldwide for golf with championship courses at Royal Troon, Prestwick and Turnberry, all of which have hosted the Open Championship.
There is excellent sailing in the Firth of Clyde with yachting marinas at Troon and further up the coast at Largs and Inverkip.
The history of Kennox House is not fully known but in his "History of the County of Ayr 1852" James Paterson noted that the original mansion was built circa 1720 and in 1852, a modern building existed, which had been extensively extended and was owned by a Colonel McAlister. Colonel McAlister was one of the Somerville family who had owned the estate, formerly known as Crivoch, from around the beginning of the 18th century. In - Ayrshire and Arran, an Illustrated Architectural Guide - , Rob Close dates the Regency part to c.1820, and describes Kennox as - a house of real quality - .
Kennox appears to have been further extended to the east in 1831 as this date appears on a stone on the east side of the house. A bathroom extension was built to the east side of the property in 1911 by the prominent architect James Archibald Morris of Ayr.
Kennox House, together with the entrance gate pillars, is listed Category A by Historic Scotland.
Kennox House is an elegant Grade A Listed mansion, predominantly mid-18th century in origin with substantial early 19th century additions and alterations. The principal part of the house is a symmetrical two storey and attic classical Regency villa with an earlier, lower, two storey and attic wing to the rear. The house is constructed of cream painted sandstone under a recently re-slated roof.
Over the last few years Kennox House has undergone substantial refurbishment to include, in addition to the re-slated roof, a new central heating system, several new windows and a luxury en suite bathroom to the master bedroom, as well as bespoke joinery by Sean Diggin and new flooring in some of the principal rooms.
Entry through lattice metal and glazed panel door. Stunning grand hallway with ornate cornicing and oak flooring. Staircase to first floor level.
Elegant formal drawing room with ornate cornicing, twin ceiling roses, picture rails and parquet flooring. Timber frame sash and case windows to front and side, with fully renewed shutters. .
Magnificent apartment, fully refurbished with bespoke furniture by Sean Diggin with maple and walnut inlays to doors, architraves, fireplace and bookcases. Oak flooring. Three Georgian sash and case windows. Inset ceiling lighting.
Two piece suite comprising low level wc and wash hand basin in marble worktop.
The dining room is open plan with the rear hallway and is fully panelled, with a fireplace with marble surround at focal point. Oak flooring. Ceiling spotlights.
This versatile room has four sash and case windows overlooking the formal gardens. Timber fire surround at focal point. Sanded tongue and groove flooring.
Exceptionally spacious dining kitchen with glazed lantern rooflight providing ample light and double glazed sash and case windows to side overlooking gardens and the Glazert Water. Wide range of timber base and wall mounted units. 4 oven cream Aga. Door to rear leading to garage.
Single rear garage with twin timber doors.
Well proportioned laundry room with base and wall mounted units with Belfast sink and granite worktops. Ceiling spotlights. Sash and case windows to side.
Two piece white suite comprising low level wc and pedestal wash hand basin. Sash and case window to side.
Basement - Office, Playroom, store rooms, boiler room.
Double bedroom with sash and case windows to front and side. Overlooking formal gardens and the Glazert Water.
Master Bedroom Suite
The master bedroom has twin sash and case windows and built in bespoke fitted wardrobes. Off the master bedroom there is a large dressing room (formerly a bedroom) which has twin sash and case windows to front and side and built in fitted wardrobes with dresser. Door to:
En suite Bathroom
Luxury five piece suite comprising low level wc, twin wash hand basins, bath and shower unit. Tiled floor with under floor heating. Arched Georgian window to front.
The guest wing is accessed from an inner hallway off the first floor landing.
Double bedroom with twin sash and case windows to side, overlooking the Glazert Water.
Three piece suite comprising low level wc, Art Deco pedestal wash hand basin and bath. Tongue and grooved panelling throughout. Window to side.
With wash hand basin and toilet, adjacent to bathroom.
Mosaic tiled shower and wash hand basin.
Double bedroom with window to side. Built in fitted wardrobes.
Double bedroom with window to side. Ceiling spotlights. Built in fitted wardrobes.
Stone staircase leading to hallway (former maids' staircase).
Substantial double bedroom with double glazed sash and case windows to front with beautiful aspects beyond garden to countryside beyond. Walk in storage cupboard
Double bedroom with double glazed sash and case window to front with beautiful open aspects. Access to large built in store.
Four piece suite comprising low level wc, pedestal wash hand basin, bath and shower unit. Tiled flooring.
A sweeping driveway leads through gate pillars and up to a gravel sweep. The gardens to the front of the house are mainly lawned with a wide variety of mature trees and shrubs including fine rhododendrons and a beech hedge to the western boundary of the property. To the eastern side of Kennox House runs the Glazert Water and on the opposite bank there is a large area of woodland which provides additional privacy. The rear gardens contain a beautiful ornamental pond, timber stores and a most attractive two storey stone bothy. Again, there is a wide range of mature trees and shrubs. To the western side of the rear garden there is a hard tennis court with netting, practice board and a summer house. Beyond the tennis court is a greenhouse.
From Glasgow take the M77 south and beyond Fenwick take the Stewarton turn off. At the crossroads, turn right along the B778 and continue into Stewarton. At the junction with High Street turn left into Lainshaw Street and then turn right at the mini roundabout into Standalane and bear left into Kilwinning Road. Continue along this road for approximately 1.5 miles. The entrance gates to Kennox House are on the right hand side.
For satellite navigation, the postcode is KA3 3EF.