This property has been removed by the agent.It may be let or temporarily removed from the market View similar properties
7 bedroom detached bungalow to rent
Glebelands Avenue- 7-8 Bedrooms + 8 Carparking Spaces
Letting information:Furnishing: Furnished
First Listed on Rightmove: 20 February 2012 ( 658 days ago )
2012 Olympic Rental – 10 mins from Olympic Village
Parking for up to 8 vehicles
3 minutes to Central Line - South Woodford
Majestic South Woodford, London E18, England.
The property is 10 minutes from the London 2012 Olympic Village by either car or tube and is situated in an affluent post code. The immediate surrounding area is considered to be an established address, characterised by affluent semi-detached and detached dwellings bordering a town centre location. The property is well served by public transport with South Woodford Underground Station (Central Line) located approximately 0.25 miles to the east, a 3 minutes walking journey. This provides a high level of accessibility to Stratford Mainline Station (journey time of approximately 10 minutes) 2012 Olympic Village, London Liverpool Street (20 minutes), and the West End (32 minutes).
The property is a beautiful, deceptively large contemporary detached bungalow sitting on a site of approximately 0.17 acres in the heart of an amazing town centre, a ‘hip and happing town’ with a variety of restaurants, a Cinema, Sainsbury’s, M&S, Waitrose, Banks and Post Office within a 2 minute walking distance.
To the south, Woodford Road provides for direct routes onto Hollybush Hill, which in turn allows for direct access onto the A12 main road (approximately 2.5 miles to the south). To the north, Woodford Road provides access onto High Road which allows for access to the affluent addresses of Buckhurst Hill and Loughton. To the east, the A406 North Circular Road for routes into East London (to the south) and M11 Motorway (to the north) are easily accessible.
The property has double rooms, twin and quad rooms. The rooms include communal: good sized lounge with flat screen TV / music room, with Virgin media. There is a full professional music stack including Professional JBL Sound System pumping out an amazing 1000 watts, movies are amazing.
The kitchen tends to take centre stage which is large and bright leading onto the lounge which in turn opens up to a rather good sized south facing garden which has sunshine all day round. All ‘usual’ appliances can be found in the kitchen which includes a gas oven and hob, dish washer, micro wave, washing machine and the likes. The residents also have the benefit of an in house sauna room which is daily use.
All rooms are well furnished and high speed wireless broadband is accessible. Car parking space is a rare commodity, but you’ll be pleased to know that car parking spaces are provided, a total of some 8 to 9 vehicles, that’s right 8 to 9 vehicles!
We would like to think that the environment in this ‘a scrumptious property’ is nothing less than homely, respect and as you will. Should you decide to visit us in England, do look this property up; to avoid disappointment, all interested parties should contact the telephone number provided above.
Olympics Summer 2012 East London, make it a holiday to remember for the right reasons, come stay in Majestic South Woodford, best of luck on your search…
The following information is provided for guidance purpose only
1. Bedroom – Twin Room Ground floor 19’x12’ Sleeps 3
2. Bedroom– Double Room Ground floor 14.5’x9’ Sleeps 2
3. Bedroom– Double Room Ground floor 12’x9’ Sleeps 2
4. Bedroom– Double Room Ground floor 12.5’x13’ Sleeps 2
5. Bedroom– Twin Room Ground floor 14.5’x9’ Sleeps 3
6. Bedroom– Twin Room First floor 15’x18’ Sleeps 3
7. Bedroom– Quad Room Ground floor Annex 10’x30’ Sleeps 3
8. Lounge Ground floor 14.5’x9’
9. Sauna Room First floor 14.5’x9’
10. Kitchen Ground floor 14.5’x9’
11. Bathroom Ground floor 14.5’x9’
12. Garden Large
13. Parking 8/9 vehicles
14. Locality Town Centre
South Woodford and its Heritage
It should be noted that the present building resides in part on the former historical land & property, namely Glebe Lands, tracing the roots back to the Doomsday Book. A report has been undertaken that seeks to commemorate and celebrate the heritage of the site, it states some fascinating facts about the former owners and its occupiers.
The site is a significant piece of history having found references to the ‘Wilsford’ and Wodeford as Woodford as it was known then in the ‘Doomsday Book. This place was so called from the ford in the wood, where Woodford-bridge now is. The Manor of Wilsford; It is thus described in the record of Doomsday Book. Woodford was a Parish and was home to the Rector of Woodford under reign of the Crown up until the mid 19th century, hence the name Glebe Lands.
The main building is known to be Glebe House which was subsequently the home to one of Woodford’s most honoured families Sir Robert Barclay. The property known as ‘Glebe House’ which (in the 19th century) consisted of a large 3 storey Victorian House (with a protruding south facing façade) with separate stables, garage and a coach house, boasted acres of various picturesque Majestic Gardens, Lawn Tennis, Orchards and a Water Well. The house was detached and had a flat roof. It sat as a mansion in Woodford opposite the Woodford Manor on the High Road along the side of the Church. ‘Glebe House’ represented a considerable part of Woodford since it sat in large acreage bearing in mind that Woodford was a small Urban District area.
Woodford and Wanstead have several other historical 18th and 19th century buildings and in particular the court house at Snaresbrook would have been of similar surroundings that ‘Glebe House’ presided over. Those buildings along with a high number of conifer trees and shrubs were representative of the Woodfords residents during those eras, majestic and mark of the aristocrats. In addition Emily Pankhurst of the famous Suffragettes also resided in George Lane, South Woodford; her home has been replaced by formerly Woolworth’s retail store and now International Grocery Store.
‘Glebe House’ and its parsonage (lands) was part of a much larger parcel of land during the reign of the Crown during the 11th century in Woodford, it is recorded as 2,146 acres of land and is later found to be part of the Glebe Lands under the preboundaries of the Dean of Salisbury stretching up as far as Peterborough, Cambridgeshire.
Having traced the roots of ‘Glebe House’ conclusions are further fuelled by assuming that Sir Robert Barclays and his family play a significant role with the Crown, wherein particular references are found of the possible involvement of Sir Robert Barclay, having been an instrument of the Crown during the early 19th century, as a Tax Collector also later at dissolution transforming its rights to the what is today known as the Treasury. We do suspect that Sir Robert Barclay was also instrumental of the reform of the Monarchy’s rights to the Treasury; further investigation will need to confirm this.
The journey then finally takes us to the time of the development of the Victorian Railways and the expansion of communities in England and in particular in Woodford just 8 miles north east of Central London.
Notably in 1836 after the dissolution, the Crown is forced in to making reform of rights of Monarchy and its ‘Tithe’s’ today known as ‘Title’s’. ‘Tithe’s’ were released during the Victorians Era in an effort to reform the Monarchy’s rights over its ‘Glebe Lands’ to the ecclesiastical benefices so that Communities could be developed (to each Parish in England).
Around the 1850’s ‘Glebe House’ and its parsonage(s) were purchased by Sir Robert Barclay of Knotts Green, Leyton in fact the Barclay family purchased lands all over England from the Church at this time including Leyton, Waltamstow, Chingford, Woodford Wells, Woodford Green, Buckhurst Hill up to Bankcroft School, in fact the Barclay family purchased lands worldwide.
Sir Robert Barclay’s family dates back to the 14th century. Members of the Barclay family are recorded as being senior naval officers during the building of the British Empire in the 14/15th century. Later in the 16th and 17th century the Barclay family are Commissioners of the House of Lords and regulated the financial accounts of the Treasury income from the British Empire including, Europe, Asia, America and the West Indies. In fact Sir Robert Barclay himself was a Tax Collector for the British Empire during the 19th century. Sir Robert Barclay and his family started what is known today as Barclays Bank.
Sir Robert Barclay and his daughter, Ann Ford (Barclay) and her husband Henry Fowler are recorded as settled at Glebe House South Woodford by 1853. Two or three years later the house was enlarged by the addition of a dining room and the rooms above (the right wing). They lived there for 60 years or so.
The Fowlers second son Mr. Gurney Fowler served as a Councilor on the Woodford Urban District Council from 1895 to 1910 and for a considerable amount of time remained as Chairman of the Council. Mr. Fowler’s wisdom and independent judgment of matters was much valued by the Council, not only does he gives time and commitment but he also showed his public spirit in another way, he was extremely practical.
Around about the time when traffic was ever increasing, the problem of improving our main roads was causing the Council some anxiety and various other road building methods were still in there early experimental stages, Mr. Gurney Fowler, entirely at his own expense had a stretch of the Woodford High Road laid with a new and innovative kind of road paving in order that the Council may judge of its suitability before committing themselves to a larger road building scheme.
Another member of the Fowler family which Woodford has reasons to remember gratefully is Miss E. L. Fowler who very generously presented to the Parish in 1899 a drinking fountain for both humans and animals. It is of attractive design and is still standing at the head of the flower garden opposite the Shrubberies in George Lane, South Woodford, it forms a pleasing and memorable addition to the amenities of the District.
In 1953 ‘Glebe House’ sadly after the death of Mr. Gurney Fowler, passed into other hands for development where the land and property were sectioned off and redeveloped by Sainsbury, a new road Glebelands Avenue was laid. In the place of the building site which housed ‘Glebe House’ a detached bungalow was redeveloped (albeit on a smaller part (approximately 25%) of the original site where the ‘Glebe House’ building once lay the bungalow stands on the North West corner of the building site line of ‘Glebe House’), this site is the subject property.
Factually the land is a piece of majestic heritage, a central focus of history in Woodford (with references to the Doomsday Book) that the mansions of ‘Glebe House’ Woodford presided over. King Henry VIII would take advantage of the deep forest of trees that Woodford was then, he would actually come to South Woodford to hunt with his entourage. South Woodford has been sited to be East London’s Kensington if you will. This is a unique opportunity to come and stay in Majestic South Woodford and taste a piece of our history, we highly recommend it.